how hot is too hot?

-

oldwirebender

Reaction score
When it's 90-95 degrees like it's been lately, and driving in city traffic, the temp gauge will register 210 deg. I've never seen it above this. When driving on the highway, 60 to 70 MPH, it stays at 180 deg. When I get some time and money, I plan on upgrading to an aluminum radiator and an electric fan, but in the mean time, I just want to drive it. My engine builder thinks this is way too high. I always thought a hot engine runs better, as long as it is not boiling or detonating. Am I risking damaging my engine, or am I worrying over nothing?

As long as the oil is Clean...210 should not be a problem.IMHO

When it's 90-95 degrees like it's been lately, and driving in city traffic, the temp gauge will register 210 deg. I've never seen it above this. When driving on the highway, 60 to 70 MPH, it stays at 180 deg. When I get some time and money, I plan on upgrading to an aluminum radiator and an electric fan, but in the mean time, I just want to drive it. My engine builder thinks this is way too high. I always thought a hot engine runs better, as long as it is not boiling or detonating. Am I risking damaging my engine, or am I worrying over nothing?
Down here 210 is cool, some of the new cars run at 210 as a normal temp.

It's the oil that doesn't respond well to heat. Just run a good quality oil and and it will be of no issue. Also make sure you have the right coolant blend and a good cap to raise the boiling point.

Air cooled engines run much hotter than that.

Chuck

I'm North of you and its just upper 80's here in Michigan. My new 340 hasn't been hotter that 200 yet. Today mid day running hard it was 185 moving and 195-200 waiting for those super long red lights we have here. Freaking people are so dumb we have green arrows for every left turn...and they still act like they are afraid to turn!

I found its a bit of help to remove the T-Stat this time of year. I know, the water moves too fast and motor runs hotter the saying goes. Well not what I found.

I would change the oil more often and yeah get a good oil, one that says racing and not sold in stores. Amazon has a 6 pack of Valvoline Not Street Legal for like $40 free shipping.

Most late model cars run thermostats around the 91*C to 93*C. Early cars (70's to early 80's) tended to be around 82*C to 88*C, and 50's to 60's cars tended to be 72*C to 78*C thermostats.
If you run more than 68% mix of Glycol to water, it won't disapate the heat properly.....as in, taking the heat from the engine to the radiator.
An alloy radiator is a must for high ambient temps.

My 440 has a tendency to run hot, idling or stopped for a period of time, despite an aluminum radiator and shroud but drops right down when I get moving. Before going to Carlisle I put Royal Purple Ice in mine and it didnt get to bad in the traffic, so it seems to work:cheers:

-
Back