How is it possible to install parking lock cable on a 65 904?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I finally tackled the parking lock cable leak on my 1965 Valiant 170/Column Shift 904. Apparently the reason why the factory procedure didn't work for removing the cable was because there was nothing ever hooked up inside the parking lock cover. I had to remove the cover to see how to get the cable off but when I got the cover off it wasn't even connected to the little adapter. Probably the reason for leaking. Now I've got it cleaned, put a new oring on the cable, and new parking cover gasket. However, I don't see how it's even possible to hook this cable back up. There's no way the factory procedure will work. I played with it with the cover off to see everything works. I see the tangs on the adapter go between the parking pawl hook and the end of the spring wraps around it. If I install the adapter on and try in install the cable I can get it hooked but the adapter lock spring has to be moved over in the lock position. I finally think I got it but that's not good. What if the spring is the only thing connected to the parking pawl? It could work a few times and then down the hill it goes. It looks like a very dangerous design. If you don't have that thing 100% hooked up right your car is going down the hill. Has anyone come up with a 100% sure way to get it connected? I doubt any of the shops in my area could do it either.

Yeah I knew all that in the link provided. Your suppose to remove the allen head screw on the cover and stick a screw driver in to release that spring but the problem is since you can't tell what your hitting with the screw driver you don't know if it's in or not. It might even be easier to remove it but you have to do the same to reinstall it and if you don't get it locked and especially the adapter locked into the parking pawl your car will roll even if you think it's in right. You just have no way of knowing. I can't figure out why it was designed this way. It seems unbelievably dangerous to me. I definitely want to make sure it's in all the way before I add fluid. I can't seem to figure out how to make sure the adapter is locked into the parking pawl because you can't see. It even seems like it might be on because the adapter spring hooks around the pawl. If it's the only thing connected it's not safe. Unless I'm reading the whole way this system works.

You have read the factory service manual? That's all I had in 1970, which was the last time I've touch a ('64 440 Dodge) cable automatic

Yeah I've got the factory manual. If you try to do it the way it says I can't do or see how it's possible to get everything connected and disconnected through the small park cover allen head screw. You have no idea if you're touching the lock spring or not so you may as well unbolt the cover to see it. The problem comes when you have to reinstall it. I can't figure a way to make sure the adapter is locked in the parking pawl. I don't see how it's possible to do it through the allen head cover screw because it takes a good bit of force to unlock the adapter lock spring. I doubt even a local transmission shop would be able to figure it out. If there's an easy way that someone knows how to do it, I would like to know.

-
Back