How is your blood pressure? They lowered the standards again!

-

Mopar-Man

Big Block Better Burnout
Reaction score
Under New Guidelines, Millions More Americans Will Need to Lower Blood Pressure

I heard about this on the radio yesterday. "After much scientific research, doctors have agreed to lower the standards that determine hypertension levels." But what I THOUGHT I heard was, "After a really nice, all expenses-paid luxury vacation on an island and guaranteed kickbacks by our dear friends, BIG PHARMA, we have decided to lower the standards... for you... you know, because we care and stuff."

LOL! Would love you hear your take on this.

MORE PILLS FOR EVERYONE!

Under New Guidelines, Millions More Americans Will Need to Lower Blood Pressure

I heard about this on the radio yesterday. "After much scientific research, doctors have agreed to lower the standards that determine hypertension levels." But what I THOUGHT I heard was, "After a really nice, all expenses-paid luxury vacation on an island and guaranteed kickbacks by our dear friends, BIG PHARMA, we have decided to lower the standards... for you... you know, because we care and stuff."

LOL! Would love you hear your take on this.

MORE PILLS FOR EVERYONE!
Agree! They did the same thing with cholesterol levels a few years back. Also a way for the insurance co. to raise your rates!

last year i think i was 120 over 72ish..:)

eat right and exercise and for a majority of people there will be no need for pills...

I don't think I can take anymore I already take 225 milligrams of blood pressure med. A day now.

You can take natural stuff that will help so you don't have to take so many pills, that's what I do!!

Treblig

I've had four hartattacks my first at one at 27 second one at 37 and two after that. And only 50 now.

Yes, I just read that 70% of the US population now has high blood pressure with the modified standard. Mine is always 120 over 80 and I now have high blood pressure! You have to be below 120/80 to be "normal" with the new standard and they plan to medicate anyone with a top 130 or above!

High blood pressure (even mild high blood pressure) is no joke!! You won't feel it but it will damage your kidneys and the interior of your blood vessels. Once your kidneys are damaged it make it harder for your body to control your blood pressure and your blood sugar. High blood sugar increases you chances of heart disease. As your arteries are damaged cholesterol starts to built up to repair (cover) the damage. It's like a long line of dominos and "blood pressure" is the first domino in the line.

Treblig

2 months ago I had triple bypass, 2 arteries 98 % blocked when I drove to the hospital. My blood pressure has always been 120 over 60 or so!! excet the day I went to hospital having a heart attack. It was something like 140 over 70 or so;
but if the med. guys lower the numbers for high BP it means selling more drugs!!????? ha

No sir I'm not gonna lie. I'm not proud of why I was a speed junkie. I bought my first tractor trailer when I was 18. And I thought staying awake all the time was the way to pay for it. All that done was show how stupid I was. Drove a truck 32yrs. And now I'm retired.

No sir I'm not gonna lie. I'm not proud of why I was a speed junkie. I bought my first tractor trailer when I was 18. And I thought staying awake all the time was the way to pay for it. All that done was show how stupid I was. Drove a truck 32yrs. And now I'm retired.
Good luck buddy, hope you live a long life. If you take care of yourself you should be OK. I had a heart attack last year..Damn that **** hurts!!! I'm back to 100 percent (now) but it took me a good year of hard work and eating right!!

treblig

Yes sir. I hope you keep doing well. I've been speed free for a long long long time. I'll never be that stupid again. The Lord above left me here for a reason. I thank him every day I wake up.

I just re-read the article that was posted by the OP. It says:"

"Now, high blood pressure will be defined as 130/80 millimeters of mercury or greater for anyone with a significant risk of heart attack or stroke. The previous guidelines defined high blood pressure as 140/90. (The first number describes the pressure on blood vessels when the heart contracts, and the second refers to the pressure as the heart relaxes between beats.)"

I didn't notice the "blue" part....but in the end it doesn't matter because you don't know if you're in the "significant risk" category unless your family has some history of heart attack?? It's best to keep you blood pressure as low as possible with having it too low (passing out or feeling light headed).

treblig

I work hard at keeping my blood pressure under control. Have a cuff at home and check it periodically.
Diet, exercise and medication, mine runs 128/78 pretty consistently.
They have found office jobs sitting all day equivalent to smoking a pack a day------------------------
Have to work at it----------------

I work hard at keeping my blood pressure under control. Have a cuff at home and check it periodically.
Diet, exercise and medication, mine runs 128/78 pretty consistently.
They have found office jobs sitting all day equivalent to smoking a pack a day------------------------
Have to work at it----------------

Sounds like you're ahead of the game but let me tell you, my BP was normally 130-135 over 75 for many years before I got my heart attack. I used to run 5 miles everyday before I went work but I guess the stress at work was just too much to compensate for all the exercise?? I have drastically changed my diet and exercise every day and now my BP is 108/72.....but it took a heart attack to get me to this point!! I also take many natural herbs everyday to help relax (and clear out) my blood vessels so I don't have to take so many BP medications.

treblig

Sounds like you're ahead of the game but let me tell you, my BP was normally 130-135 over 75 for many years before I got my heart attack. I used to run 5 miles everyday before I went work but I guess the stress at work was just too much to compensate for all the exercise?? I have drastically changed my diet and exercise every day and now my BP is 108/72.....but it took a heart attack to get me to this point!! I also take many natural herbs everyday to help relax (and clear out) my blood vessels so I don't have to take so many BP medications.

treblig
Yes, good job on your part. I do understand that stress plays a big factor as well.
Hence my belief that I "Don't fear the reaper"
We really don't have a vote, just do what we can and play the cards we have.

When I had my last 2 heart attacks I was I was clinically dead for a few seconds and was brought back. My blood pressure was 210/190. Very scary and eye opening.

Yes, good job on your part. I do understand that stress plays a big factor as well.
Hence my belief that I "Don't fear the reaper"
We really don't have a vote, just do what we can and play the cards we have.
I have no fear of the reaper either but I still have young kids (18 and 23) in College. The 18 year old is a girl so I really would like to be around to protect her (for a while anyway). So even though I don't fear death I'm not ready to punch my ticket yet!! Once my kids are well established and secure I'll be ready to.....well, you know!!!

treblig

Before you know it, the number will be so low everyone will have to take meds.

Follow the money.

Someone has to pay for all those pharmaceutical lawsuits. Might as well be me. I have nothing better to spend my hard earned cash on. This sort of stuff just raises my blood pressure.

sugar is the main culprit .
You are correct, I've read that sugar can be compared to pieces of broken glass inside the arteries. I have the biggest sweet tooth in human history!!! But I won't feed my urge.

treblig

Just like being at the bar and having trouble picking up a woman... Just lower your standards...

A two at 10 is a ten at 2....

You are correct, I've read that sugar can be compared to pieces of broken glass inside the arteries. I have the biggest sweet tooth in human history!!! But I won't feed my urge.

treblig

and it feeds damn near every disease known to man and I also have a sweet tooth that I can't control the cravings .

-
Back