How long and how tight?

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
Engine: 360 came with a front sump oil pan.

How long? With a center sump pan, the dip stick doesn't want to go in all the way. When it does, some of it is laying along the bottom of the pan. Is there a different stick needed. How long should the dip stick be from the bead that hits the tube top to the end be?

How tight? I want to reinstall the oil filter mount to the engine block. I can't find any thing about the correct torque in original or aftermarket service manuals. The "nipple" has a square drive inside.
I have seen threads about drilling extra holes in the plate for better flow. Would one between each existing hole be enough? (same dia.)
Thanks,
Mike

A small block with a front sump? Are you SURE? The only thing I know of that had front sump pans were motorhomes. What are you gonna put it in? It won't fit in an A body. And yes. If the dipstick slides along the pan bottom, somethin's wrong.

Now, all that said, TRUCKS had rear supm pans that had a channel that the dipstick went into and followed along the side of the pan. This required the much longer truck style dipstick and correct tube. Can you post some pics of your pan? I have a rear sump truck pan on my 318 in the shop right now. Is it possible you're confused and it's a rear sump truck pan?

I have a 73 360 with center sump oil pan...the dipstick itself is 23 inches...that is the part that goes inside the tube.

I think I need to turn my oxygen up a little! My donor engine came out of a Dodge Pickup with a rear sump. I'll check the dipstick length in the morning.

Thanks to all!!!
Mike

I think I need to turn my oxygen up a little! My donor engine came out of a Dodge Pickup with a rear sump. I'll check the dipstick length in the morning.

Thanks to all!!!
Mike

Lol a little altitude sickness have you?!

Lol wow! Gonna the dipstick on my 1990 ram 360 is about 33 1/4 from top of tube to the bottom tip

A small block with a front sump? Are you SURE? The only thing I know of that had front sump pans were motorhomes. What are you gonna put it in? It won't fit in an A body. And yes. If the dipstick slides along the pan bottom, somethin's wrong.

Now, all that said, TRUCKS had rear supm pans that had a channel that the dipstick went into and followed along the side of the pan. This required the much longer truck style dipstick and correct tube. Can you post some pics of your pan? I have a rear sump truck pan on my 318 in the shop right now. Is it possible you're confused and it's a rear sump truck pan?[/QUOTE

My 69 D-100 truck had a front sump oil pan 318, I still have the pan and oil pick up off that motor.

Now, all that said, TRUCKS had rear supm pans that had a channel that the dipstick went into and followed along the side of the pan. This required the much longer truck style dipstick and correct tube. Can you post some pics of your pan? I have a rear sump truck pan on my 318 in the shop right now. Is it possible you're confused and it's a rear sump truck pan?[/QUOTE

My 69 D-100 truck had a front sump oil pan 318, I still have the pan and oil pick up off that motor.

I sure would like to see it.

-
Back