How long do Gabriel Hi-Jacker's last?

-

70DusterBob

Reaction score
I have some hi-jackers that have been in my Duster for 14 years. Time to replace them? They don't see a lot of driving, but yeah, a lot of sitting, and the trunk is full of tools, so they carry their fair share of weight.

as long as they are holding air - they should be fine, they don't wear out like a normal shock does

as long as they are holding air - they should be fine, they don't wear out like a normal shock does

They are outside, but have been either in a garage or in a boat storage unit. So they are not cooking like if they were outside outside. You know?

I worry about them, but if they do blow, the car will just rest on the springs, not fender to tire type of thing. Maybe I shouldn't worry as much. I was wondering how long they have lasted for others. How long have you had them last?

well - I have a set, but they aren't being used - last time I did use them (5 years ago-ish) they were fine and I have had them for... jeeez... over 30 years. And yea, if they were to fail to hold air they would still function as a shock to some degree, I would say the potential for rubbing depends on how much stuff is in the trunk.

I had about 20 years on mine.
As long as the rubber boot that holds the air (the belies/ballon?) isn't dry rotted......

2002 I installed them on the, at that time, HiSchool daughter's hot rod. I did have to replace the airlines in the recent past.

And springs while you're at it; the Duster is not a pick-up truck.

But I'll admit it, back in the 60s it was cool to show up on Saturday night with the Ns on and the Hi-Jackers were an essential part of the look,along with the slapper bars. And all the decals. And lest we forget; the cute 16 year old in the Daisy-Dukes, who had no clue.

And springs while you're at it; the Duster is not a pick-up truck.

But I'll admit it, back in the 60s it was cool to show up on Saturday night with the Ns on and the Hi-Jackers were an essential part of the look,along with the slapper bars. And all the decals. And lest we forget; the cute 16 year old in the Daisy-Dukes, who had no clue.
Nothing wrong with that now...

I bet that duster that has been sitting for 25 years will still hold air....

I have some hi-jackers that have been in my Duster for 14 years. Time to replace them? They don't see a lot of driving, but yeah, a lot of sitting, and the trunk is full of tools, so they carry their fair share of weight.

My bro=in=laws were installed in the mid 1980s and still function as they should

As far as rubbing, it depends if you are running wide tires, I've seen an air shock fail and rub wide tires on a 68 Chevelle.

Yup, long as they hold air, they are good to go.

-
Back