How long would you wait around for a parts "buyer" to show up?

-

hemi71x

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Question for all you others that sell parts locally.
Say your selling some parts on your local Craigslist, and a buyer makes contact with you, that says he wants the parts, and you both agree on a date and time to get the deal done.
Knowing that the buyer has to travel 50+ miles to get to my residence.
The agreed upon time passes, and then you wonder if it's going to be another flake your dealing with on Craigslist.
Do you wait around an hour, or more than that, and figure out it ain't worth it, when you have other things to do with your time?
Thank's for your input.
hemi71x

Give him a little bit of leeway, but he should call if he's gonna be late...

Call the same day to "be sure the deal is still on", and "confirm the times agreed upon". On a "less than 1 hour away" drive, I'd give him 30 minutes max. He should have called by then if he had trouble or got lost.

It also depends on how bad you want to sell the parts. :D

1 hr with no phone call, he's done.

I've got caught up with buyers like that, but they have always called. Unless it's quite a few $$ I don't travel.

30 minutes, no longer than 1 hour, in this age of cell phones absolutely no reason not to call.

Had a couple come 130 miles to buy our snowmobile trailer, on time because they wanted it. Met in the Husky parking lot. I don't let them come to my home anymore.

they buyer was able to get a hold of you before, if he still wants it and hes still coming he will let you know if he running late

30 minutes, no longer than 1 hour, in this age of cell phones absolutely no reason not to call.

Had a couple come 130 miles to buy our snowmobile trailer, on time because they wanted it. Met in the Husky parking lot. I don't let them come to my home anymore.
I agree I don't let people come to my house. I meet somewhere. Like DD's or somewhere public.

More **** gets sold at our Starbucks than coffee. Its just a safe place because there is always >10 people there chewing the fat.

More **** gets sold at our Starbucks than coffee. Its just a safe place because there is always >10 people there chewing the fat.
I was in there the other day getting coffee and overheard some of this "conversation"
Two "adult" males discussion the validity of a movie that crossed between marvel and DC comics
My 6 year old holds more sensible conversations that that

If it was some of your rebuilt brake and or suspension stuff, the guy's an idiot. You sell some really nice stuff. It was his loss.

Call the same day to "be sure the deal is still on", and "confirm the times agreed upon". On a "less than 1 hour away" drive, I'd give him 30 minutes max. He should have called by then if he had trouble or got lost.

Some of you guys are WAY too impatient. At least an hour, meybee two. I have a couple of local friends who DO NOT have cell phones

My own story is a great example, the little camper I bought.........the "white whale" lost oil pressure getting there and the cell service "where it quit" is very spotty. I finally managed to get through to the seller, and he ended up meeting me the following week when I bought it

WAY too impatient. Read my post above. **** happens. you know? ****. the stuff that happens in life. Yeh. THAT ****.

If he's that far out I set a time of day allowing for the distance plus a little time for mishaps but after that if theres no calls , He can knock on the door til his knuckles bleed.

I simply tell them that I'm around from this time to that time. I make sure I have something to do, that way I don't give a rats *** if they don't show.

Question for all you others that sell parts locally.
Say your selling some parts on your local Craigslist, and a buyer makes contact with you, that says he wants the parts, and you both agree on a date and time to get the deal done.
Knowing that the buyer has to travel 50+ miles to get to my residence.
The agreed upon time passes, and then you wonder if it's going to be another flake your dealing with on Craigslist.
Do you wait around an hour, or more than that, and figure out it ain't worth it, when you have other things to do with your time?
Thank's for your input.
hemi71x

So did this guy eventually show up, or stiff you????

bad idea having them come to ur house ! he may show up when u ain`t there. I always meet them some where , and pack some heat also. if he don`t show that`s his last chance. that being said, I sell most stuff and mail it, after getting payed w/ paypal .

**** does happen, but then **** doesn't happen..........the **** that I need to get done while I'm, wasting my day waiting. See ya flake. If you can't follow through on something as simple as keeping your word and showing up on time, then your not worthy of my parts.

Like they said above....never lead them to your house. Meet in a busy parking lot.

bad idea having them come to ur house ! he may show up when u ain`t there. I always meet them some where , and pack some heat also. if he don`t show that`s his last chance. that being said, I sell most stuff and mail it, after getting payed w/ paypal .

I gotta good watch dog and a gun... Enter at your own risk... :elmer:

It turned out to be a no show, for the parts.
Parts were for the last rebuilt, big bolt pattern, disc brake set up that i have.
Won't let it get me down, as there are always others out there, in the buying department, for parts.
The previous week,i had a guy drive 100 miles to my residence, to pick up a 71 Cuda trunk lid from me, and he showed up almost to the exact minute, at the agreed upon time.
Craigslist, good, and then bad, at times.
Oh well, what you gonna do?

call me impatient if you must - but if "we" agree to noon and you're still not there at 12:30 - - bahbye.. I always get make and color of vehicle, a first name and a cell # and give mine too.. BUT - I make it clear that my time is valuable too - it's nothing personal, I'm just not sitting out in some parking lot waiting for anyone... well, except for family, but that's another story...

Call them if agreed upon time passed. No reason not to be courteous. If no answer, move on.

-
Back