How many Gages?

-

Eric_S68

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what other people run for Gages. Of Course I wan't them all. What MFG... Makes a complete set? Autometer, Etc..I'm looking towards a rocky mountain dash for the holes. If I need more room I'll make a center console to fit them.

OK, So there's .. Speedometer, Tachometer , Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Coolant Temp, Trans Temp, Voltage, Fuel Psi, Fuel level, Brake Psi (for the line locks). Is there anything else to monitor that I havent thought about?

a clock, because we all need know when the highschool girls get out..

:toothy8:
well atleast i do.. but im only 23.. and i can do that kinda stuff!!

But if your going to race then a
rear end temp could be used and
vacuum or boost
pyrometer
fuel pressure
intake temp..

But what you have a list of is good to go!

Cerwin

In my opinion the water/oil/trans temp gauges are excessive. What i did, electrical gauges of course, is i have a three way toggle switch for my water temp gauge, one way goes to a oil temp sender, another to the motor, and one to the trans temp sender. three gauges in one. the trans and oil temp are really nothing that you 'have' to keep an eye on at all times, in my opinion. you can use a momentary toggle so you can just flip it one way or the other and it will return to the water temp..or whatever sender you feel. Brake psi? I have yet to see that one on a street/strip car atleast. No need to use it to keep an eye for the line lock...again, in my opinion. I pump the brakes a couple times, hold it, and hit the button...i feel no need for a gauge, personally.

I would say if you rigged the water temp gauge like i have (well right now i have the water/trans hooked up...i need to do the oil one) you would need a

Speedo
Tach
Oil Psi (which you can also probably use for brake pressure if you feel the desire to....beauty of electrical gauges.)
Water temp (water, trans, oil temp in one)
Fuel level
and Volts

Of course fuel pressure for a more race orientated car, nitrous pressure, boost or what have you, maybe vacuum.

Just my .02cents! Depends on your use for the car, all out race car, a street/strip car, and a street car, in my opinion will all have different gauges....my car being a street/strip car, im happy with the gauges i have and feel no need for more. Yes...you can have 'too many' gauges in my opinion and it ends up a little tacky if

100_0661.jpg

Justa o/t question. about how far are you from the orlando area? i'm moving around there, looks like in november. It'd be nice to meet up with a few mopar guys once i get there. :headbang:

I'm no guru though, just my suggestions of course. i'm 19, i've only been around mopars for alllmost two years, only built one motor and two trannys, and have been casually racing my car at the strip every month or two. I'm pretty autometer orientated, i like the looks and they have a good reputation. I ran them in my old mustangs and i still run them with no issues. I prefer electrical gauges, this day and age i'd have to say they are pretty darn accurate. No fluids coming into the interior. Much, much easier to install. And you can make one gauge do many things like i said. :farao:

GoodysGotaCuda said:
Justa o/t question. about how far are you from the orlando area? i'm moving around there, looks like in november. It'd be nice to meet up with a few mopar guys once i get there. :headbang:

I'm in Palm Bay about 90 minutes from Orlando.

That's a great idea on the 3 way switch. (think I'll use it)

I know brake pressure is a bit overkill, it was just a thought.....

I have autometer in the rockey mountain panel
black wrinkle finish
speedo tach fuel oil press water temp and volts
mike

I don't think you could use oil pressure for brake pressure.

Brake pressure is wayyyy higher.

As for me, I run a tack on the column, mech water, mech oil press and mech fuel press(oil and fuel out on the cowl. fuel lines cannot run ito the pass compartment)
Speedo is factory, and so is gas gauge.

No voltmeter,(if it starts, it has enough) no trans temp (it won't get hot enough to worry about on most bracket cars)

I've always(and will always) question the accuracy of electrical gauges. Made in taiwan peices, jammed into a made in usa case. Lot's of variables in electrical items that can go bad.

No disrespect to you on that one goody, just my .02

dave571 said:
I don't think you could use oil pressure for brake pressure.

Brake pressure is wayyyy higher.

As for me, I run a tack on the column, mech water, mech oil press and mech fuel press(oil and fuel out on the cowl. fuel lines cannot run ito the pass compartment)
Speedo is factory, and so is gas gauge.

No voltmeter,(if it starts, it has enough) no trans temp (it won't get hot enough to worry about on most bracket cars)

I've always(and will always) question the accuracy of electrical gauges. Made in taiwan peices, jammed into a made in usa case. Lot's of variables in electrical items that can go bad.

No disrespect to you on that one goody, just my .02

None taken, i tought about that brake pressure being so much higher after the fact, your right, that wont work on a normal ~100psi oil gauge. I personally run a volt gauge due to having a bypassed amp gauge, which goes along with the high output alternator, cooling fans and such.

Do you shift via a mechanical tach? or are you trusting a taiwan electrical gauge? :blackeye: lol just messin with ya. :headbang:

Guess I'll chime in here as I'm working on redoing my gauge cluster right now...

I'll be running a Speedo, Tach, Fuel Level, Volts, Oil Pressure and Water Temp... it's a street car and I do agree with Goody, too many gauges gets a little tacky.

Mikey Parts - how do you like the Rocky Mountain Dash setup? I just saw their ad and I'm trying to get in touch with Mike to ask him some questions about the setup... worth the money??

I run a tach, water temp and oil pressure in the car. A volts guage in the trunk with the battery and a fuel pressure on the hood.

Critical gauges, IMO: Oil pressure, coolant temp, tach and volts. Since I will have a 3000 converter stall speed, I think a trans temp gauge is necessary for my application.
Speedo is way off so I don't care if it works or not. I also have a fuel pressure at the carb, will probobly put one on the cowl to monitor during a run.

Rockey Mountain Set Up Is Great
All Tig Welded And Fished Nice
Also Has Holes For Turn Signals
High Beam Leds
I Also Added Oil Pressur And Brake Lights Centered Above
T Signal Holes
I See If I Can Post A Pic

-
Back