How many of you have installed the 20:1 ratio worm gear in your24:1 box? PN P4007612

-

evans68cuda

Reaction score
My motor is at the machine shop so I'm using this time to replace some front end components. I just don't see how I could throw all this money into the drivetrain and not even bother to touch the 49 year old steering box or worn out bushings. Has anyone done this and is it something you can do in the garage or should I send it out? I just can't justify spending $600+ on a firm feel or flaming river box. Also any advice on what sway bar I should use (as I currently don't have one) for the 68 k frame and 73+ disc brakes. I currently have .890 TB which I think will be ok but any advice on that will be appreciated. Keep in mind I like a more firm suspension.

Yes it is something you can do at home, as in all things patients is the key word. A friend of mine did the steering boxes in both 65 and 66 Darts, they worked out well. Some place in my library I have a copy of "Mopar Action" where E_burg rebuilt the steering box in the Green Brick. What I remember at the moment is there are 2 different manual boxes, 1 uses a bushing and the other uses a needle bearing , you'll want the needle bearing box, sorry I don't remember the quick ID of them. I do remember Eherenburg mixing up a concoction of 90 weight gear oil and grease on his stove and poured into the box as the lubricant. A FSM would be a real aid for doing this.

I did basically the same thing you are doing. While I had my engine out I went through the steering and suspension. I bought a rebuilt steering box off of eBay for $400. It has the FF kit and 20:1 ratio gears in it. It really tightened up my steering. I also added a Helwig sway bar that I also purchased off of eBay and got it cheap because it was an opened box. I don't plan on road racing my Dart but both of these changes really helped the steering characteristics of my 50 year old car.

I did basically the same thing you are doing. While I had my engine out I went through the steering and suspension. I bought a rebuilt steering box off of eBay for $400. It has the FF kit and 20:1 ratio gears in it. It really tightened up my steering. I also added a Helwig sway bar that I also purchased off of eBay and got it cheap because it was an opened box. I don't plan on road racing my Dart but both of these changes really helped the steering characteristics of my 50 year old car.
Buying a rebuilt one may just be a better idea. I think $400 would be about my limit. And yes a bigger sway bar and possibly torsion bars too. Already got new strut bushings, tie rods, ball joints and upper A arms. What seller did you buy from for the box?

Yes it is something you can do at home, as in all things patients is the key word. A friend of mine did the steering boxes in both 65 and 66 Darts, they worked out well. Some place in my library I have a copy of "Mopar Action" where E_burg rebuilt the steering box in the Green Brick. What I remember at the moment is there are 2 different manual boxes, 1 uses a bushing and the other uses a needle bearing , you'll want the needle bearing box, sorry I don't remember the quick ID of them. I do remember Eherenburg mixing up a concoction of 90 weight gear oil and grease on his stove and poured into the box as the lubricant. A FSM would be a real aid for doing this.
I'm not sure what type of box I have so maybe just get a rebuilt one. It's weird how hard it is to find rebuilt manual boxes but the power steerings come a dime a dozen.

found this, a little out of my price range, is this the same vendor you bought from? Amazon.com: NEW SOUTHWEST SPEED 66-82 MOPAR MANUAL STEERING GEAR BOX, 16:1 RATIO, DODGE CHRYSLER PLYMOUTH CHALLENGER CHARGER CORONET DART NEW YORKER NEWPORT BARRACUDA CUDA DUSTER FURY GTX ROADRUNNER SATELLITE: Automotive

No, the guy I bought mine from was just an individual who built one for a customer and then the car was sold or the project was scrapped. He had a receipt from FF showing that he paid $400 for the kit and gears and included it with the box. It was a regular auction and I won it for $418 shipped. So basically I paid $18 labor for this guy to rebuild a gear box, and then I sold my old one here on FABO for $100.

On the sway bar, I got the number from Helwig and starting searching the internet for that part number. I found one listed on eBay but the box was open and the guy was just trying to get his money back out of it. When it didn't sell, I messaged him and offered him $50 less than list price and he accepted it and even covered the shipping.

There's more than one way to skin a cat and you have to keep your eyes open for deals all the time. This is a hobby for me and money to fund it is not easy to come by. If I can spend a couple of hours scouring the internet to save a couple of dollars here or there, I'm going to do it. Good luck!

You can buy a new 16:1 box from PST for $459 shipped. Also, if you tell them you're a FABO member (which you obviously are) you get a 10% discount so that cuts it down to $413 shipped!! Not too shabby imo!

If there is any questions that I can answer for you on the 16:1 box that we offer please let me know. We also offer the OEM 24:1 as well to.

Thanks
James

-
Back