How many of your personal cars ended up in junkyards?

-
Most of them. I drive them into the ground. The last one was a '96 Grand Prix. Touched 300,000 miles when the overheating issues and the rotten rear frame rails became chronic. Wasn't going to keep fixing it and didn't think it worth anyone else's time to either.

The "Black Crow's" last day:

DSC02543a.jpg

4 that I know of for sure.
70 340 Duster, 75 Charger,69 Nova, and a 72 Challenger 340 Rallye. None by me but after the cars were sold.

I gotta go full disclosure here. The only thing keeping my driveway from officially being a junkyard is that I don't have a dog.

I don't own nice ****.

As best I can remember, only two of my cars ended up is a salvage yard. Unfortunately, they were rusted "way beyond" repairing from being in the Galveston salt air for too many years.

Probably all of my former personal cars are long gone. I know some of these former cars were not treated kindly or well maintained after I sold them.

as a side note, one of my cars, my first Dart, is still sitting in a friend's garage waiting to be restored.

Holeee smokes! What the heck happened here??

A really bad night. I veered off a 2 lane road at maybe 35 mph over a ditch and took out a few trees. The trees won. Car ended up on the roof in someone's front yard. I was not wearing a seat belt but had no serious injury. I was very lucky. I still miss that '68 Barracuda.

The only car of mine that I know of, was my 74 Swinger, that I dubbed "The Mutant Ninja Dart" because it was that ugly color of green like a Turtle. It finally got so rusty that I had to sacrifice the 318/904/8 1/4 to go into a 74 Duster body I bought out of a junkyard for $200. I hauled it to the crusher when I'd stripped everything usable out of it. This was around 94-95ish. The Mutant Ninja Dart lived on thru it's donated organs in the 74 Duster that I daily drove for years.

Back around 2011 we sold two Le Baron GTC convertibles. One was a rare 1989 TII/5sp car that my son sold. The other was my wife's '95 V6. The '95 had developed some overheating issues, but the '89 ran fine. I was wandering one ot the local self serve wrecking yards one day several months later and I spotted my son's car with no apparent reason for it to be there. Later that day I went to another local self serve yard and found my wife's '95. It had been in a minor accident.

All 3 of my v8 rwd cars (minus the Cuda) got totaled within 2 years of buying them. My 96 caprice lost all oil pressure. So I ripped out the engine and rear end and sold it for scrap. The 95 wagon that replaced it, got t boned hard during the first snow of the year. And just last May, my 09 G8 GT that I had finally gotten fixed (engine and trans rebuilt along with new suspension and replaced the headliner) got rear ended on my way to work. My little 6 speed saab 93 that I replaced the wagon with lasted me 7 years in between the wagon and G8. Fwd, stick, turbo 4, it was fun little car and quite good in the snow. I just seem to not have good luck with rwd v8s and have to settle on cars that are avalible, ie my current daily is an RDX.

1st car, 64 impala ss, kissed a telephone pole. 2nd car. 71 duster 340, sold it and person was involved in a head on, totaled.

I sold or traded them in so I am not sure but most of them probably ended in junk yard. All had good bodies when sold. 58 Impala convert. 64 Comet 2 dr hardtop. 66 ford 7 liter. 69 Barracuda fastback 340 4 speed, 323 sure grip. It was in bad shape after a couple of owners after I sold it. Some one from Detroit drove 300 miles to get it so I hope they restored it. I bought the Barracuda new and sold for $500. in 1975. I still have the window sticker and some race history if I new who has it now. Best time was 13.68 at 102 mph. I beat a lot of cars with much larger motors. I now have a 2001 Mustang GT convert that have never been driven in snow or salt. The underside is as clean as the rest of the car.

I had an SC/Rambler in HS. I sold it back in 75 to a guy from my HS. Forwad to 2010. Went on a search on where the car ended up. Finally located the guy I sold it to. He kept it until the mid 80 then sold it to another guy. Long story short after talking with numerous people the car was totally gone, parts stripped off the car and eventually it was crushed.

That really sucks man, 73 Chargers have long been a favorite of mine. Probably because 2 of my friends owned them back in the day and I was able to drive them.

Only pic I have of this car.
Was a super clean low mileage ‘68 Coronet.
Sold it to a guy in Sacramento in the early 90’s. Found it at the Sacramento U-pull-it a few years later - T-boned. ☹️

IMG_5401.jpeg

That is a punch to the gut. You stumble upon the car that you used to like in a place you hoped it wouldn't be.
Sort of like seeing an old girlfriend at the strip bar dancing for rent money.

The one car I probably shouldn't have gotten rid of but it was in the 80s so I wasn't thinking about investment potential. I had a 1972 Demon 340 that I bought from a friend which had a spun bearing when I purchased it so I got a deal. I rebuilt the engine and drove it a while and the guy's brother comes to me and wants to buy it since it had been his brother's car. I sold it to him way too cheap with the stipulation if he decided to get rid of it, give me first chance at it. A couple of years later I asked about the car and found out he sold it for junk to the junk yard.

-
Back