How many quarts?

-

Ruger64

Reaction score
I wanted to change my rear end fluid.
I have a 71 Valiant, slant.....7 1/4 rear diff. How many 80w90 qt.s does it take?

I am not sure exactly how many quarts, but just fill the rear end from the top hole until it stars pouring out a little bit and then put the fill plug back in.

Also, be sure to include the additive as needed if it has a sure grip.

seems like I had to buy 2 quarts to change mine in my 7 1/4 rear

Ah-ow....Do I need LSD additive? I have a 2:76 rear gear. I don't know how to tell if I need additive?

Okay I did a search and I think this Link will help you.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=195392
Please post back your findings when you get the Cover off. Some Pictures would Be great. If it's a Clutch type 7 1/4, then you have a nice rare rear. Not as tough as 8.25/8.75 but still better than a plain old 7 1/4.
If you jack up the rear end and spin one wheel the other side will probably spin the opposite direction. This indicates that it's not a Sure Grip. If it spins the same direction, It's a Sure Grip.

Please post back your findings when you get the Cover off. Some Pictures would Be great. If it's a Clutch type 7 1/4, then you have a nice rare rear. Not as tough as 8.25/8.75 but still better than a plain old 7 1/4.
If you jack up the rear end and spin one wheel the other side will probably spin the opposite direction. This indicates that it's not a Sure Grip. If it spins the same direction, It's a Sure Grip.

It was in the air already. So I went up and threw it in Neutral. I spun the drivers side, and the passenger side wheel spun the same direction. I guess I need a tube of LSD. I seen advance had a tube of Lucas LSD additive. Is that okay?
Also, I will take some photos Saturday while I have it open. I will also get my build sheet from behind the seat. This car has not been touched at all

Will this help at all? I don't know if my fender tag will help?

2012-07-08133504.jpg

That's a Sure Grip. Throw some LSD additive in.

I have read about Sure Grip with Clutches. It would be great to see a Picture of yours under the Cover. I don't think the Fender Tag shows much about the Rear end But I will decode it and report back.
here's a great site for Fender Tag decoding depending on what year your Mopar is. http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=87

Here's your Tag Decoded. I don't see anything about the Rear. It's Cool that Both wheels turn same direction. I'd still look close for any Tags on the rear. Some people used to weld inside the rear and "Mod" it into a sure Grip for lack of a better explanation. BTW....If you mark your Driveshaft, You can Spin a tire one full revolution and count the number of turns the driveshaft makes. That will give you your Ratio. ie; If the drive shaft spins 3.55 turns with one turn of the Wheel that would be a 3.55:1 Ratio.
VL41:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
Low
4 Door Sedan

C1B: 225 145HP 1-1BBL 6 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

436956: Sequence number

E24: 225 cid 1 barrel 6 Cylinder 145hp
D31: A904 3-Speed Auto Trans.
09D: Unknown Exterior Color
L2T7: Trim - Low, Vinyl Bench Seat, Chestnut
GT8: Dark Tan Poly Int. Door Frames
704: Build Date: July 04
M14460: Order number

U: Unknown Top Color
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror
EN1: End of Sales Codes

Here's your Tag Decoded. I don't see anything about the Rear. It's Cool that Both wheels turn same direction. I'd still look close for any Tags on the rear. Some people used to weld inside the rear and "Mod" it into a sure Grip for lack of a better explanation. BTW....If you mark your Driveshaft, You can Spin a tire one full revolution and count the number of turns the driveshaft makes. That will give you your Ratio. ie; If the drive shaft spins 3.55 turns with one turn of the Wheel that would be a 3.55:1 Ratio.
VL41:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
Low
4 Door Sedan

C1B: 225 145HP 1-1BBL 6 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

436956: Sequence number

E24: 225 cid 1 barrel 6 Cylinder 145hp
D31: A904 3-Speed Auto Trans.
09D: Unknown Exterior Color
L2T7: Trim - Low, Vinyl Bench Seat, Chestnut
GT8: Dark Tan Poly Int. Door Frames
704: Build Date: July 04
M14460: Order number

U: Unknown Top Color
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror
EN1: End of Sales Codes

Thanks so much! I appreciate the effort. I also bookmarked that site.
I should have mentioned. The tag on it says 2:76 on the cover.
This car has 68k on it, and nothing has been touched. It sat for 15 years, and before that, was not ever altered at all.
I will take some nice photos to put on here, just for reference for sure! I wished I had 3:55's, but I don't...:(

Thanks so much! I appreciate the effort. I also bookmarked that site.
I should have mentioned. The tag on it says 2:76 on the cover.
This car has 68k on it, and nothing has been touched. It sat for 15 years, and before that, was not ever altered at all.
I will take some nice photos to put on here, just for reference for sure! I wished I had 3:55's, but I don't...:(

I was glad to do it. It's a beautiful Car. The 2:76 should be better for highway cruising.
Enjoy it:)

I like the 3:23 gears for my use.. 3:55 should be in most trucks.

I was glad to do it. It's a beautiful Car. The 2:76 should be better for highway cruising.
Enjoy it:)

Well I did appreciate it very much! It does well on the highway. But out of the hole, well ya know...LOL I am glad it at least has the 145hp version, it helps. I don't know wether to put a v8 in it, or build the slant. Still confused. Thanks for the comment. I really love this car, even though it has two extra doors.

I like the 3:23 gears for my use.. 3:55 should be in most trucks.

I was told that by someone else also. I have never changed out gears. I have swapped rear ends a millions times in my life though.

I believe that your Sure Grip can handle more abuse. Those 2 extra doors don't hurt the Looks. It's a Sweet Valiant.
I was bummed out to find out that my 7 1/4 was not Sure Grip. I'll have to check the Ratio today.

I believe that your Sure Grip can handle more abuse. Those 2 extra doors don't hurt the Looks. It's a Sweet Valiant.
I was bummed out to find out that my 7 1/4 was not Sure Grip. I'll have to check the Ratio today.

Thanks very much!!
I was honestly shocked when I went to a local car cruise that people were stopping and asking questions and liked my car. I wasn't ready for that. I figured being a more door i would get blown off.
Also got to meet some guys from the forum here too!

Thanks very much!!
I was honestly shocked when I went to a local car cruise that people were stopping and asking questions and liked my car. I wasn't ready for that. I figured being a more door i would get blown off.
Also got to meet some guys from the forum here too!
U R Welcome. Honestly, There's just something about your car that works perfectly as a 4 door.

Okay, I finally got around to doing my rear end. I pulled the cover, and only a half of qt. came out. I may have to change my seal, and /or sleeve the yoke come spring. I used lsd additive, and also good rear end oil. It only held one qt.?
Anyhow. Here's a photo. The wheels turn the same way, so I suppose this 7 1/4 is a "sure grip"?

rear.jpg

I'm going from memory but I believe that's a Clutch type Sure Grip. I'm not an expert on this so hopefully others will Chime in.

I'm going from memory but I believe that's a Clutch type Sure Grip. I'm not an expert on this so hopefully others will Chime in.
The only thing I can say is that out of gear when I turn the drivers side wheel forward the passenger side goes the same way. I dunno....

-
Back