how much cam

-

MOPARCODY

Reaction score
i just got off the phone with comp...(not very helpful with mopar application)
they suggested a 242/248 533/538 on a 110lsa for my dart, thats based off of a 1.6 rocker and i have a 1.7.

my motor already has a 288/292 501/513 on a 108, those ratios are based on a 1.6 rocker so im not sure what my lift and duration are.

Im just looking to get some more power out of the car, my trap speeds are a little lower than i expected. how much of a gain would i get by changing cams

my cars specs
motor is a 2000 360 magnum with edelbrock alum heads
65 dart 2700 lbs
8 3/4 3.91 gears
3800 stall
air gap intake
holley 750

Comps suggestions are at .050 lift. Your current duration is likely advertised.

To get the correct lift for you current cam (.501/.513 with a 1.6 rocker) just divide by 1.6 to get the lobe lift, then multiply by your rocker ratio to get actual lift: example 0.501 / 1.6 = 0.313125, then, 0.313125 x 1.7 = 0.532 lift. So, your current cam is 0.532/0.545 lift, new cam would be 0.566/0.571 lift with a 1.7 rocker (instead of 1.6).

When comparing cams duration, always start with the 0.050 numbers to get an apples to apples comparison. What you are referring to as "actual" duration is the advertised duration...which I think comp does at 0.015 or something like that.

What does it currently run (ET, MPH, 60')? Just looking at the advertised duration numbers, I would guess those cams are VERY similar in duration.

Call hughes engines and talk to Tim. He'll tell you everything you need to know.

some cam manufactures use .006 lift for duration reading...to compare always use the .050 lift duration

That cam you currently have sounds like the MP roller cam for the crate motors. That is a very good cam in the low 230's duration wise. Makes over 400hp quite easily. Maybe something elso holding it back?
What times have u run?

The car has ran a best of 12.01 @110 with a 1.7 60ft the cam I have now is the mpp crate motor cam. I think something is holding me back

some cam manufactures use .006 lift for duration reading...to compare always use the .050 lift duration
Exactly! Cam manufacturer used to be all over the place with their numbers. That's why it's called "advertised duration." .050 will make the playing field level so to speak & you can compare more easily.

-904 gears
-tires
-shift points

If you want to see some more on your MPH, maybe bring up duration and shift higher? This is assuming you can. A taller tire may help you. It's tough to say what the car is moving through without seeing it or knowing a few more numbers.

Have you checked AFR with an 02?

What do you have in it for dist. springs and ignition?

What convertor (brand, size, brake & flash stalls)? What is your trap rpm?

I would try a single plane intake. Your car is light and doesn't really need a dual plane. More duration with a single plane would also put more power on top.

-
Back