How Much Coolant?

-

charger426

Reaction score
Starting to order all the fluids I need for when I swap in the 440 in my Dart. Just wondering whats the typical capacity on a 440 with a 3 core aluminum radiator? My radiator is a 3 core Champion 22" wide model.

My guess would be close to 4 gallons total capacity.
Get 2 gallons of coolant and 3 gallons of distiller water.

If you need more than 4 gallons you can use some of the third gallon of water to top it off. You can add 1.5 quarts of the third gallon to the mixture and your result would be 40% antifreeze.

That should get you to approximately-5° F freeze protection.

What is your lowest expected temperature?

I'm in MD so we usually don't see below zero here. Now with a windchill that would be a little different.

windchill ,is really used for objects that are creating heat to stay warm //anti freeze is measured in ABSOLUTE temperature// here in UP state NY I have used the recommended 50/50 mix for -32 degree F with no problems with freezing or boiling and if you have a boiling problem "wetting" agents work well and have knocked off 20 degrees on my dads hot rodded flat heads and when in doubt DRAIN IT !!

A 50/50 mix will get you around -30 protection bit a lighter mix may increase your cooling efficiency by 20 degrees. If extremely cold temps is not an issue I would mix it at 25%. (a gallon of antifreeze to 3 gal. distilled water. You should still get -10 or so protection.

Sounds like total capacity is around 4 gal. I'll order up some AMSOIL antifreeze and a bottle of their coolant boost. Should be good to go. Thanks everyone for your help.

I used just under four coolant (TOTAL) when mine went in.

Pure antifreeze is very poor at "heat transfer"

It doesn't absorb heat from the engine easily, and doesn't give it up easily when traveling through the radiator.

Thats why it MUST be diluted with water.

If you don't need the freeze protection of a 50 or 60% mixture, you are better off with a weaker concentration for those hot weather driving days.

The concentration you need is up for you to decide, based on expected temperatures, indoor vs. outdoor storage etc.

If you've seen the owners manual of a newer car (within the last 10 years) You'll probably see that some don't even come with a 50/50 mixture, unless its a "cold climate market". Usually a lower concentration.

:burnout::burnout:

I hope you meant Dex-Cool

Are you mixing transmission fluid with your coolant???

LOL, good catch. Yes Dex-cool. Although I'm tempted to try the Toyota blue on my next build. it's supposed to be even better.

No I like dextron. Keeps my water pump lubed up. LMAO

-
Back