How much did it cost to cost to swap in your hemi?

-

migsBIG

Reaction score

I am contemplating on buying a hemi and having a shop do the swap. I am trying to gauge what everything (minus the engine) to do the swap into a older mopar A-B-E-body car (I have a few to chose from since I didn't sell my entire collection off last month). Would love to see the price break down and what people used like harnesses, computers, fuel delivery, exhaust, etc. Sadly, I no longer have a shop, the equipment, tools or even a laptop any longer, so I would be having everything farmed out. I found a few 3rd gens I can score for reasonable prices and would run cheaper than having a big block built. I would love to have a modern drivetrain but happ with it slapped to a regular old 727-A transmission. Would love to know if it's affordable on a budget or if I have to sell my blood and soul to get one between my k-member. I’m not even sure what a shop would charge in labor, so I have to figure it out along with parts needed for the swap. When I get home tonight, I’ll post a list of parts I would like to use use and maybe someone can help figure out the cost aspect of it.

Last edited:
For a minimum you could swap in a gen3 but convert it back to carburetor. Run the HDK K member swap, hydraulic clutch setup on an A833, custom driveshaft and you're in business... No idea what a shop would cost to do this, but it's the closest thing to budget friendly. I'm coming up on completion of my Gen3 6.4 Build and I don't really want to total up what I've spent on the build!

The EFI swap is going to run you at least another $4k to do it right.

Using mostly bolt on parts you can get it done for around $8k (k member; $5k? brakes $1k? headers $700? clutch $900, carburetor adaptations, plus a whole lot of misc things, the holley timing cover is legit as well) plus shop time on top of this.

Mike @ HCA

I would say somewhere in the 50-75 hour range at a shop rate of 135 -175 an hour in the Bay Area. Plus parts.

I'd love to see one done for 8K. Not callin anyone a lair at ALL, but that's hard to believe.

Here’s what I compiled for my 69 Charger 392 swap. These are all new parts.

392 crate - $7,800
TKX Trans - $6,000
Wiring - $1,170
Oil pan - $300
Radiator - $1,100
Alt & steering pump - $800
Fuel pump - $600
Headers - $800
Mounts - $170
Oil adapter - $145

IMG_5085.jpeg

I was at a car show three years ago, a guy had a used 392 installed his 69 Charger, it cost him $22,000 installed. The shop that he had it done at chopped up the original wiring from a wrecked newer Challenger. He did keep the 727.

I was looking to have these guys install a 392 crate.

the single biggest line items are fairly obvious: motor and trans (if needed) but all the little ticky-tacky things add up with the quickness: mounts, fuel tank, pump, regulator, headers, radiator, timing cover, oil filter relocation kit, oil pan and pick up, misc fittings, hoses, wiring.

labor wise, if i had to take a WAG based on other swaps i've done and what back of the barroom napkin math i've scratched out i'd say you're probably pretty close to 20K all in with labor probably being 6~8K of that. and this is assuming you're keeping the t-bar suspension, add appropriately for aftermarket suspension and labor for the r&r.

ETA: that 20K figure would be with some version of EFI and using a 727/904

Last edited:
I would estimate from 25-40,000 . Depends on if you will retain original suspension , brakes , k member and fuel injection.

There's a great "play by play" 392 Hemi conversion with a Passon 5-speed on the site done by member RealWing in the Restorations section. If I was doing it , it would be my reference .

Its extremely well done!

Man before I'd drop $20k putting a modern Hemi in my Barracuda I'd buy an old school Giant Hemi and put it in myself JMO

Carnut and junyardhero are pretty much on par. The cost is truly subjective to your expectations finished. My '68 was already fuel injected (408) and HDK'd, I reused the 727, cooling system and just got the new mounts from Denny. I upgraded the fuel pump and lines from -6 to -8 (which you shouldn't need for an OE engine), Stayed with my FAST XFI sportsman and bought the XIM ignition, bought a new engine side engine harness, TTI headers, oil pan, truck timing cover, ,balancer, water pump,flex plate and ancillary parts (sensors,plugs,coils,belt,pulleys,fluids,oil filter adapter)without the engine itself around $6k labor being free. That being said ,the time for a detailed install with wiring mods and all was easily 100 hours finished to my taste. Its a tough decision if your farming out the labor, but don't forget to relay your "finished" expectations to the shop when getting your quote/estimate. Good luck

I've done two, now. Nothing cheap about a correct installation. Putting a carb on one, removes a bunch of the good points of a gen-III.
I did one with all the electronics, NAG, etc... It's essentially a modern, tuned-up Scat-Pak 392 Challenger, in a bunch lighter car.
The other is with a 727[manual valve body] and a Gear vendor.
Both are with Hotwire harnesses and mopar electronics.

The `cuda will be in an upcoming issue of Mopar-Action.
The wagon was built for a friend.
cuda 7-3-22 BW bridge-Port Huron.jpg

wagon 5-28-23 fuel.jpg

Wagon under hood 4-15-23.jpg

Last edited:
You should really decide what you want for an end product. Just a gen 3 swap? Or completely resto mod with all the suspension and electronics? When my son and I first put a 5.7 in his 73 Scamp, it was a true budget build. Waited to find the absolute best deals on parts. We rebuilt an early core engine. Stock bottom end, deal on Eagle heads, 6.1 cam, and used the Prefix/Cascar carb intake. Stock K with stock suspension. 904 transmission. Even had exhaust manifolds to begin with. Manual brakes and steering. We did most of the work ourselves. We had to have a muffler shop bend up the lead pipes for us. When it was all said and done(we even figured in the purchase price of the car), we figured to have about 6500 in it. Give or take a little..... When you start adding in the tube suspension, complete fuel injection system, and paying someone to do it, you'll EASILY knock out 25k.... If(for sure) not more.

I've done two, now. Nothing cheap about a correct installation. Putting a carb on one, removes a bunch of the good points of a gen-III.
I did one with all the electronics, NAG, etc... It's essentially a modern, tuned-up Scat-Pak 392 Challenger, in a bunch lighter car.

The wagon was done for a friend.
View attachment 1716108590

View attachment 1716108591

View attachment 1716108594

The wagon is awesome!!

Great job!!

I am contemplating on buying a hemi and having a shop do the swap. I am trying to gauge what everything (minus the engine) to do the swap into a older mopar A-B-E-body car (I have a few to chose from since I didn't sell my entire collection off last month). Would love to see the price break down and what people used like harnesses, computers, fuel delivery, exhaust, etc. Sadly, I no longer have a shop, the equipment, tools or even a laptop any longer, so I would be having everything farmed out. I found a few 3rd gens I can score for reasonable prices and would run cheaper than having a big block built. I would love to have a modern drivetrain but happ with it slapped to a regular old 727-A transmission. Would love to know if it's affordable on a budget or if I have to sell my blood and soul to get one between my k-member. I’m not even sure what a shop would charge in labor, so I have to figure it out along with parts needed for the swap. When I get home tonight, I’ll post a list of parts I would like to use use and maybe someone can help figure out the cost aspect of it.
All farmed out? Big money.

Man before I'd drop $20k putting a modern Hemi in my Barracuda I'd buy an old school Giant Hemi and put it in myself JMO
Gen-2 hemi engines are NOT cheap. But they are heavy, get crappy mileage, cause terrible handling...and requires other things besides an engine.

The wagon is awesome!!

Great job!!
Thank you. I've rebuilt that car 3 times for the owner. I have to say that I liked it best, when I owned it....and this current incarnation I envisioned.

Last edited:

The wagon was built for a friend.
View attachment 1716108590

View attachment 1716108591

View attachment 1716108594

Is the Cuda the one with the NAG or the 727?

Both are sweet builds!

Thanks for the great info everyone. Sadly, it's double my estimated budget and that's not even covering the suspension upgrades I want. Looks like I'm going to go with big or small block instead. I really wanted a nice obnoxious Gen 3 sticking through the hood, guess I'll just have to figure something else out.

Thanks for the great info everyone. Sadly, it's double my estimated budget and that's not even covering the suspension upgrades I want. Looks like I'm going to go with big or small block instead. I really wanted a nice obnoxious Gen 3 sticking through the hood, guess I'll just have to figure something else out.
I'm looking to do the same but I'm attacking suspension first. I think if that's what you really want done and you have the luxury of time, you should just enjoy the car the way it is while saving money and pull the trigger when ready. I'm also in the bay area, did you already have any shops in mind to do the job? I'm currently looking for one who can help me install RMS Lynx setup, aftermarket AC and ultimately an engine swap.

For what it's worth, here is what I have spent so far (minus the motor) as I get ready for my swap:

Holley Swap Headers
$485.95​
Holley Motor Mounts
$226.75​
Holley Oil pan w/ pickup
$475.18​
Dipstick and PS hoses
$137.94​
Gas Pedal
$20.00​
90 degree adapter
$167.76​
Total
$1,513.58​

There are some caveats though. The swap headers are no longer available, but Holley does sell swap manifolds for about what I paid for the headers. And the Holley motor mounts require the '73+ spool mount k-frame. Oh, and the gas pedal is an unknown, might not work but it only added $20 to the total.

And prices might be higher, I bought most of that stuff end of last year and I didn't compare it to current pricing.

I've also got a core 5.7, a 6.4 cam and springs upgrade, a 6.4 intake and about $220 into a used PCM and some wiring harnesses (going to roll my own) that I didn't include in the above. That total is $2845.24. Still need the heads gone through and (hopefully) just gaskets, bearings and rings and my motor will be complete. Oh and a car timing chain cover.

But based on the part costs in my list and an OEM fan and radiator ($3-400), a Hotwire Auto harness and PCM ($2070) and $3k for a good used motor someone might be about $7K in parts. This assumes the later k-frame and the 727 is already in place. So call it $8K, to cover the miscellaneous parts I am forgetting about. Less if you are a good shopper and get a deal on the motor, seems like $3K for used 09+ motor is high and an '08 and older motor should be even cheaper.

If you have to have a coil over conversion, add $5K to the above total. But it's not necessary to get the G3 into the car.

No idea what labor and the parts mockup would add. But at $13K in parts (with a COC) before mark up (10%? 25%?) and the estimated 50-75 hours at $135-175, that would add up fast. Even assuming you buy the parts and avoid the shop mark up, and keep it at the low end of the hours, it is still $20K easy to have a shop do this.

I'd love to see one done for 8K. Not callin anyone a lair at ALL, but that's hard to believe.

I should've been more clear on my post, I was saying cheapest I could imagine is around $8K for everything minus the engine and labor to install (OP's original request was compononets only minus engine).

HDK K member package: $5500
Hooker log style swap manifolds: $300
Mancini Carburetor Intake: $700
Mustang 2 Front brake kit: $1100
Hydraulic TOB for A833: $675?
Clutch: $800

That's $9K right there. Plus cost of engine, plus cost of labor the shop. Easy $20K.

If a shop was competent and didn't really care on making money they could likely use a 73+ K member with the swap mounts available, keeping the Torsion bar front suspension, and do it cheaper.... but good luck finding a shop to do that for you, especially on a budget.

Mike @ HCA

I forgot to mention that the Holley mounts move the motor forward 1.75". This is great for clearance between the firewall and SRV solenoid (if you run a 6.4 intake) and makes the low mount AC compressor an option if a VVT motor is used. But it does mean that trani mount and linkages need to be addressed.

Another option is TTI mounts with a QA1 k-frame or the early V8 k-frame. The hot option right now is to move the PS mount back and modify the TTI motor mount bracket, this opens up the oil filter and removes the need for a remote oil filter setup.

I've wondered if the DS mount could be reworked in a similar way to allow for a low mount AC compressor but no idea if it could actually work. And it would require using the Schumacher mounts rather than the TTI ones as the DS TTI mount used the AC compressor bolts.

There is the Holley FAED kit that solves the AC compressor issue, plus makes the alternator easier to mount, but it adds length to the motor and costs $2600+.

TTI sells headers (for now??), I think they are $1100 or so?

Last edited:
HDK K member package: $5500
Hooker log style swap manifolds: $300
Mancini Carburetor Intake: $700
Mustang 2 Front brake kit: $1100
Hydraulic TOB for A833: $675?
Clutch: $800

What about ignition on a carb setup?

I know the non-VVT motors can run an MSD setup that is like $700 for the box and $300 for the wiring harness, but not sure what options there are for the VVT motors.

Seems like (to me) if someone were to run a carb, doesn't make sense to run a VVT motor. Without the controls, you have to lock out the VVT anyways so might as well start with the simpler (and cheaper) '08 and older motor anyway. Add Eagle heads if you want a bump in flow, or maybe even start with a 6.1.

What about ignition on a carb setup?

I know the non-VVT motors can run an MSD setup that is like $700 for the box and $300 for the wiring harness, but not sure what options there are for the VVT motors.

Seems like (to me) if someone were to run a carb, doesn't make sense to run a VVT motor. Without the controls, you have to lock out the VVT anyways so might as well start with the simpler (and cheaper) '08 and older motor anyway. Add Eagle heads if you want a bump in flow, or maybe even start with a 6.1.

Good point! The list seems to always grow beyond what you think you'll need, I hadn't thought of ignition, just the savings over an EFI system like the Holley or MS setups. Further limits and exemplifies that a gen3 "budget friendly" swap is a bit of an oxymoron.

Mike @ HCA

-
Back