How much do I tip the Balloon Pilot?

-

Leadfoot

Jane Goodall of the N&P Forum
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Or do I tip at all? I've been all over the internet and nobody seems to agree. A lot of people say not to since he's overpaid anyways. Some say no and ask if you tip your pilot on an airplane. Some say yes, some say maybe. Some say the tip is for the ground crew. Some say $20.00, some say 10%. I have no idea. It's a $500.00 flight and comes with breakfast and a t-shirt. Anyone have any ideas?

Gratuity (tip) --- Free will offering to express gratitude for services above and beyond expectations.
I never have believed that it should be EXPECTED. People should be given a reasonable pay and not think they should have more for merely doing their job.
Yote

I have noticed such attractions, if run by a business with multiple balloons, works for circus, A state fair, that kind of stuff. They will charge a lot but pay the employee little. If it is a private owner I’m sure he’s making a decent buck. But overpaid? Who the hell is anybody to judge someone else on what is overpaid. How much was that balloon, what are operating cost, what a recovery course, what is the upkeep, these are all things that people care little to consider. If you wish to tip him, Do it like a diner. Based on service, friendliness, cleanliness, excellence of tour length of tour, tip accordingly.

It’s just money. You can always make more.

I think if you believe it’s worth more than the original price than tip what you feel is appropriate. Did they go out of their way to make it a fun experience? Did they create and make a safe environment for, during, and after flight? Was the food prepared well? Why stop at just tipping the pilot?

Or do I tip at all? I've been all over the internet and nobody seems to agree. A lot of people say not to since he's overpaid anyways. Some say no and ask if you tip your pilot on an airplane. Some say yes, some say maybe. Some say the tip is for the ground crew. Some say $20.00, some say 10%. I have no idea. It's a $500.00 flight and comes with breakfast and a t-shirt. Anyone have any ideas?
Does he own the business? If so, nothing at all. If not,:lol: just some coffee/ beer money, and a thank you for not getting us killed!

So what if he/she owns the buisness?! If I believe service has been outstanding, I’ll tip whoever I believe is necessary.
Because he got tipped 500.00 for the job!!! Outstanding is what should be expected by the owner of any business. Now a guy working there is not getting paid 500.00 so he should get tipped if he represents the business well. IMO

Still say it doesn’t matter.

My friend, who is a balloon pilot and owner, says they usually average $20.00 each. He splits with his crew, but some owners do not.

9FED71DD-F602-47D7-8289-75CCD08014AC.png

It is optional in my opinion. Always appreciated. If it were me, and I am a person who gets tips...if he was friendly and did a good job I would give him $50.

O I guarantee we would tip him as well. I'm just saying my views, not my wife's! We are big time over tippers, comes from living off tips thru collage.

Because he got tipped 500.00 for the job!!! Outstanding is what should be expected by the owner of any business. Now a guy working there is not getting paid 500.00 so he should get tipped if he represents the business well. IMO

i would have to disagree
first of, the owner, does not get "tipped" 500
not if he is the one who paid for the ballon, the burner, the gas, the promotional material, the training of the crew, the payment of the crew, the permits, the insurance, the basket, the ropes, the sanbdags

my real disagreement though is would expect excellency from workers as well as operators

I have always said, does the IRS consider them a tipped employee and automatically calculate what they think you made in tips weather you did or didn't, you pay taxes on it. The waitress at the local restaurant, yes, the tip jar at the local Subway, no.

Alan

i would have to disagree
first of, the owner, does not get "tipped" 500
not if he is the one who paid for the ballon, the burner, the gas, the promotional material, the training of the crew, the payment of the crew, the permits, the insurance, the basket, the ropes, the sanbdags

my real disagreement though is would expect excellency from workers as well as operators
My statement comes from my wife's nail gal. She comes to our house to do her nails, we pay her the rate she wants, then my wife tips her as well. WTF? Its all cash. She used to work in a salon, but went out on her own. Wife still tips her like she was an employee on the salon. She owns her own nail business.....Mobile..

-
Back