How much do you have invested?

-
right now if I add the purchase price plus the rear suspension and then take what I have sold off of the car I have right at 3K in my Demon right now and I have done nothing yet.

Due to the fact that my wife some times reads the post here,I am taking the 5th amendment and can not say any thing further unless my lawyer is with me.Signed ex S/S racer and owner of hemis and pro street cars and classic cars as well,you now under stand why,let this be a lesson to you all.Wife NO.3 is coming around to liking mopars,Mrmopartech

Yeah no joke. I just don't tell her that I am spending money and let her find out about it later. If I were to pre warn her I would not get anything.

All toll, car, drivetrain, trailer, everything, I'm into it for less than 15K. I consider it a bargain! Just like HB69Dart everytime I fire this thing and drive it on the strip I get chub! It's like I'm 18 all over again.

I have $11,000.00 in my '67 Barracuda Fastback so far.

Still need:
paint and bodywork
tires
carpet
headliner
windshield
re-chrome bumpers
steering wheel (no cracks)

I'm guessing at least $20,000.00 when finished....in todays market what can you buy for that kind of money...a four door sedan

My 'Cuda will be black with red ('69 Red) interior with a Super Stock hood, bucket seats with a 727 auto on the column.
Engine is 360 bored .060, balanced, Eddy heads and intake and carb. Comp XE 268 cam

Steel 15 x 7 wheels with '67 dog dish hub caps and B F Goodrich Radial Red Line tires.

Has an 8-3/4 diff. with the 489 center section and 2.76:1 highway gears, and Moser axels with 11" x 2-1/2 rear brakes.

Front brakes are new Master Power Disc brakes (Manual)

Will post pics when I start assembling the car.

moparlee said:
Well, I'd say way more than it worth in my case. In 13 (owened since 1993) years and changing my mind more a zillion times. I'd say $30 plus and I'm not done and top it off it's just a lowly 64 Valiant.

Lee

but the cost of ownership is priceless :thumbup:

I have 7K in the car alone, had to have the matching #'s. Running, but tired. New carb, Mopar ignition, $400. Ultralite II guages and Streetfighter tranny for restomod, $1300. Have $5K-6K stashed away for motor. Still looking for right rearend, figure to spend a grand here and another grand on odds and ends. Body & paint not perfect either, but this car will be a driver. WoW! This **** adds up fast. :help:

How much do I have invested? Um, all of it, minus rent, food, and utilities. :thumbup:

ohhh geeeezzz

let me see...a 74 Duster....getting painted....etc.. etc....

got to be hitting right at about $30,000.00

man...i am a idiot.

-RPM

There's no tellin'...bought the Demon in '91 for $2500 -- painted it in '93 for $1000, then I haven't paid much attention to how much I've dumped into it. I'd say I'm close to $10K total.

Bought the '67 a little over a year ago for $2k and haven't done much at all to it -- pretty much turned it into a daily driver. Maybe dumped a couple hundred bucks into it since.

Bought the '73 SSP about 2 years ago for $2700 and a $300 trip to CO to get it. Since then, I've nickel and dimed it with collecting parts, but again, haven't paid much attention to investment...maybe $5K total.

Paid 5K for my 66 Dart GT back in May. Spent 350 on the motor to get it running,
40 on a new muffler, 140 on the tires, 170 on the brakes, and now I'm cruising in it. I thought 5k a little high but it's #matching, repainted with no bondo, everything on the car works, and it was only 40 miles from my place. I have no regrets and am planning to finish the interior next spring. Down the road.........bigger motor.

I bought the Scamp in April of 04 for $4250.00. Since then I've added an aluminum radiator for about $225.00 including having a couple of brackets welded on and new hoses, $20.00 for a new turn signal switch, $125.00 for two small bolt rallye's with nearly new rubber (one of my wheels was bent and i needed a replacement, the pair I bought were just too good to pass up). I spent $35.00 for a new heater core, and $52.00 for a new fuel sending unit. Oh yeah, and about 90.00 for a new starter. But to offset that cost I sold the brand new reproduction hood scoops that came with the car on ebay for $250.00 since I just couldn't bring myself to drill holes in my perfect hood to mount them anyway. Other than that it's been a few oil changes and an air filter, I've not even had to change the plugs yet and they still look great. When I bought the car it already had the 360 in it, with a brand new Edelbrock Performer intake, a brand new 670 Holley Street Avenger electric choke carb, brand new dual exhaust, brand new tires, (plus the 4 original steel wheels with good tires on them). Heck, I haven't even had to replace the battery yet!! So at this point I'm only in for a little over $4500.00, and have had at LEAST $10,000.00 worth of fun driving the car. My Scamp still has the original paint, although it's going to need painted in the next few years, and I want to put disc brakes on the front and a better rear end under it. Other than that, it has a hole in the headliner that is above the passenger side sunvisor, so one of these days I guess I'll have a headliner put in. So if you're careful and a little bit lucky even divorced guys can afford to play with cool Mopars.

Well, I'm up to about 22.5 k now including the price of the car. 340 engine swap, 5 speed tranny, new rear, new disc brakes, paint and body, wheels, engine upgrades, etc etc etc. Still have another 1k to put into the suspension and misc items to complete the resto. I'm coming down the home stretch once I get it put together.

Total should be around 25k over the last three years. I will have a brand new car and come this spring I'll have a big toothy grin as well.

Id say my Scamp is a $2500 car.
$2500 for the motor, $500 for the trans/converter, $150 for the headers, $200 worth of little stuff so far.. $7500 all ready and the motor and tranny aren't in it yet. Still need a A body 8-3/4 too.

I dont keep track. I could "guestimate", but there's no way I'd tell my wife about the real figures..lol. I'm lucky tho, with all the boxes coming with my name for others, I can squeak a few past "the guards" that I actually bought. And if it's really big or I really need to smuggle it in, the stuff goes to the shop and then I bring it home when she's not home ;) . If it's any consolation, she doesnt tell me what she spends on the horses either..lol.

All I know is I have 2 of the 8 1/2 x 11 envelopes full of receipts - and every time I think about adding them up I get the shakes - and grab a cold one from the fridge.
Speed/fun costs money - and you can never exceed the speed of your wallet.

388dart said:
All I know is I have 2 of the 8 1/2 x 11 envelopes full of receipts - and every time I think about adding them up I get the shakes - and grab a cold one from the fridge.
Speed/fun costs money - and you can never exceed the speed of your wallet.

That's cute Leo, I don't get the shakes but I get a little lite headed thinking about the money. I've been lucky with my wife, she told me 5 yrs ago that with my job I should get a hobby and build another car (she actually said that) but thankfully she forgot what I spent on the last one.

Terry

Counting the thousands took all the fun out of it so I stopped. Be assured I could have bought an e body for what I have in that junk pile in the garage.

Very entertaining thread :lol:

70 Duster - $2200
360 motor & 727 trans - $1800
Parts car with 8 3/4 - $300

So that's $4300 before I start on it, I do all my own work so the labour is free, well not quite free, the beer bill is pretty high. I figure another 10-12K might do it, probably won't though. I don't let the wife in on the gory details either :lol:

First thing.... There are some nice rides here !! and John, I really like the cuda !!

I have about $21785... with what I paid for the car ($4500) , then sold about $1255 worth of parts off it. So I guess I would say Total of $20530...

My wife was checking some files of the computer and found the total....I just asked her what she wanted for her Birthday...what a mistake !!! NEW KITCHEN !! :blob:

:wav:

Uggh this topic hit close to home...and honestly is why I have the Dart Sport now. I had a 69 RoadRunner previously B3 Blue with the black hood stripes 2 tone blue interior. It cost me $4500 as a project car back in about 1996/7 or there abouts...ended up needing a LOT more work than was advertised(dont they always) after working on it off and on for about 7 years it was getting done but still needed stuff. I had sunk about $11,000 into it(not including purchase price) in paint ,bodywork,interior,trim,exhaust, and all that other little stuff...it was painted and looked nice and ran BUT still needed the suspension redone,wheels&tires(still have a set od body colored painted steeleis for it in the shed).....I just got sick of sinking money into it.....found out the wife was getting severed from her job so I decided to cut my losses sell it get bills paid off so IF we had to live on just my income we would be able to do it.....

Spring passed wife got a new job and then in the Summer we went to Carlisle(mopar show) Father in law decided to get a car he had the Dart Sport I have now but he wanted a BB B Body...he ended up getting a 70 Coronet R/T....a bit later that summer he decided to sell the dart soprt..said he could not drive both...I thought about it and bought it for $4500. Only thing ive done to it since is the Wheels, stripe package,rear wing. thats it I guess Including the $4500 sales price I have about $5200 in it to now....a LOT better for a "regular" non rich Hemi guy than sinking $11,000+ into a car and not being done with it.

so to answer the question $5,200 total and thats including the $4500 sale price($300 for wheels,$200 for wing,$200 for stripe pakage) other than the add ons the car sits as i bought it had to do nothing more to it and thats what I like...this year will include a little suspension work a new carb and hopefully/mabey getting the crap headers off and some manifolds on.

I am in the process of rebuilding a 73 Dart Sport. I have been keeping a record of what I spend on it. I have spent $5612.00 on it so far. After you subtract the price of the extra parts that I sold from cars that I stripped I have $2560.00 invested in it so far. There are $2586.00 worth of new parts on it. I have a lot of little things left to do to it plus getting it painted.

ds2.jpg

FASTBACK340 said:
I should have bought a finished project.....:sad1:

I disagree. You learned quite a bit on how to repair things that will break sometime down the road that would cost quite a bit if you took it to them (body shop, engine shop, etc).

Also, you can now tell people you did most of the work yourself & have pride in owning it. I can't believe people just drop a shell off at a restoration shop, pick it up a yr later & say they restored it. Anyone can sign a check.

Be proud of your ride (it's "your ride" because you restored it) & don't sell it -ever.

davesdartgt said:
I disagree. You learned quite a bit on how to repair things that will break sometime down the road that would cost quite a bit if you took it to them (body shop, engine shop, etc).

Also, you can now tell people you did most of the work yourself & have pride in owning it. I can't believe people just drop a shell off at a restoration shop, pick it up a yr later & say they restored it. Anyone can sign a check.

Be proud of your ride (it's "your ride" because you restored it) & don't sell it -ever.

Johns a master mechanic so I think the last thing he really wants to do it fix things after work. My bet is that why he has so many new basses. I need to drag out the guitar and start playing so I can stop threatening to sell everything too. :toothy7:

I'm up in the neighborhood of around $30,000 or so. But when I look at the finished product, it was all worth it.

When I drive it and get the looks I get with it and the thrill it gives me when I nail it and feel the power, I think it's the best high a kid of the sixties can get!

-
Back