How much does a Slant 6 engine weigh?

-
http://www.allpar.com/slant6.html ----info off the net ---

Depends upon the accessories. Power steering? AC? Cast iron intake? Cast iron exhaust? Manual trans flywheel and if so the big truck one or the standard one? It also depends upon the year of the engine. Very early ones had a heavier crank. Late cast crank engines are lighter than the common forged crank engines.

published figures show the 6 at 475 and the 273/340 at 525. they show the 360 at 550. Must be something with the block, doubt the crank is that much heavier, virtually identical except for stroke and main diameter.

I just relocated a 74 slant yesterday to store out of the rain. Just about pulled my back and bent the metal dolly I rocked it onto. That was with head, intake, and exhaust on. Besides heavy, it is hard to set stable with the assymetric layout. I rested it on the rear end on 4"x4"'s. Stands much taller than the V-8 next to it. I recall Chrysler was very proud that their new LA engine (273) was only 50 lb heavier than the six. Would be great if somebody made an alum head for the slant, but maybe after pigs fly.

Would be great if somebody made an alum head for the slant, but maybe after pigs fly.

I don't know about the rest of the engine, but I weighed the cast iron head (I honestly can't remember whether it had valves, rockers and a rocker arm shaft... probably did,) but it weighed EIGHTY FOUR POUNDS all by itself.

People lust after an aluminum head for this engine, but it looks to me like, with the small bores, there would be little to be gained with a redesigned head, if it were a 2-valve configuration. There's just not room for big valves...

Now, an aluminum, 4-valve-per-cylinder head, would be worth whatever it took to achieve that...

I'm not holding my breath.

In the meantime, forced induction can go a long way toward minimizing the breathing problems incurred when you put a head which was designed for a 170, on a 225 (and, unless you opt for the Argentine item,) that's all we've got.

Forced induction is not without its problems on this engine, but the dividends would seem to be well worth the trouble, if you're patient.

My 2-cents...

From a post by Slantsixdan in another thread:

A cast iron RG (198/225) block weighs 134 pounds (plus or minus; this varied by production variant/date)

A cast iron LG (170) block weighs 114 pounds

An aluminum RG block weighs 64 pounds.

Engine Weight's
Slant Six 475

273-340 "A" V8 525

360 "A" 550

361-383-400 V8 620

413-426W-440 V8 670

Street Hemi 765

I know this is an old post, but i always wondered if these posted weights include the cast iron exhaust manifolds?

The 475 lb number is pretty accurate and that would include the alternator, intake and exhaust. I have weighed nearly everything on a slant. While the cast crank is lighter than the forged ones, the later heads, without spark plug tubes, weigh more so it all sort of evens out.

The 475 lb number is pretty accurate and that would include the alternator, intake and exhaust. I have weighed nearly everything on a slant. While the cast crank is lighter than the forged ones, the later heads, without spark plug tubes, weigh more so it all sort of evens out.
how much weight was the cast crank than steel? thanks

These numbers are using a medical scale for most measurements. I used a postage scale for things under 10 lbs. All numbers are pounds. (sorry, spreadsheet didn't paste well)
Item 79 65
crank 63.2 75.2
block 147 147.8
piston 15.6 18
head 79.8 72.4
oil pan 8.4 8.8
oil pump 6.8 6.8
water pump 3.4 3.7
intake 18.5 18.4
exhaust 19.8 19.8
alternator 13 13
alt mount 2.4 2.8
balancer 5.4 5.2
starter 14.8 20
engine mounts 10 6
coil 1.5 1.5
distributor 2.4 2.4
Coolant fan 6.4 4.2
Carb 4.2 2.6
water outlet 0.2 1
pullies 3 1.2
timing cover 2.2 2
Valve cover 4.4 4
timing chain set 4.2 4.2
lifters (set) 2.6 2.6
rocker arm assy 7 7
pushrods(set) 1.4 1.4
camshaft 11.2 11.2
Fuel pump 1.2 1.2
Total 460 464.4

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that! Why are there 2 sets of numbers?

I am cognizant of weights when putting a car together and when I have a choice usually go with the lighter version. Like a mini starter for instance. I used to weigh a lot if stuff but got out of the habit for some reason. Anything that adds weight has to earn it's keep.

Thanks for posting that! Why are there 2 sets of numbers?

I have an Excel spreadsheet with a ton if info. I just copied and pasted three of the columns and the formatting didn't paste, just the data. Basically, each line is "Item, weight on 1979 slant, weight on 1965 slant".

As far as weights on a slant six go, I picked and chose various year parts to install on a 79 cast crank engine. I got the total weight down to just under 400 pounds. That is engine, carb, intake, exhaust, alternator, pulleys, motor mounts, and starter.

As far as weights on a slant six go, I picked and chose various year parts to install on a 79 cast crank engine. I got the total weight down to just under 400 pounds. That is engine, carb, intake, exhaust, alternator, pulleys, motor mounts, and starter.
Awesome info! thanks

-
Back