HOW MUCH for NEW GEARS INSTALLED?

-
the price he was given wasn't a rip off, and it was 850 not 900, might as well say he was charged $2,000.

Even at $850 you ain't paying for his daughters college, that's just a stupid stupid comment to make. You're paying for his knowledge and what to do when there is a situation that isn't available in a book or a tool made for the problem that just happened, then what do you do when you can't set it up? ? ? What do you do with your 5 minutes of knowledge from the internet that doesn't have the answer.

I find it funny how people are so quick to turn into jerk offs and make f'ed up comments, he is going to a professional shop that has years of experience and if they are like mine he will get the best job done...
The professional shop has insurance to pay, workers comp, all kinds of taxes, and tools and equipment, utilities and other overhead.

A mechanic that is there for a job and salary, so lets say it takes an hour to get the rear apart, and another 3 hours to set up and put back together.
That's 85 an hour without any bs problems creeping out of left field...
Of that 85 an hour , the mechanic gets his 4 hours salary if it doesn't take longer because it doesn't always just come apart right, so you're being charged 350 and lets say it takes the mechanic 7 hours, he now gets paid his salary and the shop makes 175, of which the shop pays for the insurance, tools and equipment and rent on the building and taxes and the withholding tax....
No problems the shop makes 200, of which they don't see the entire 200. . .

So where is the college education coming from.....

now the other thing i want to address and then im done.... End of story with this...

how many diffs have you guys worked on and had pull in and they sound like they just need a bearing ? Customer asks you and you tell them sounds like it's this and that but i won''t know exactly till its apart and i can see, so you try and give them a ball park and tell them if it's just a broken spider ? Or the ring and pin are bad ? Or bearings you're looking at 400, or 700.... Or whatever

then you take it apart and find out the bearing imploded and wrecked the gears, ooops there goes that price thrown out earlier at $400, we just jumped another 250 or more depending.

You take it apart and find out the spiders broke, and the case cracked. . . .and the gears got caught also.... Well guess what, lets say it was a limited slip, case atleast $500, gears atleast 220, bearings 100 to 130, with axles bearings another 60 and labor that's how it does come to 1200 sometimes...

I had a guy call, tells me his dump truck is making a banging noise when he turns, so in tell him stop moving it at all and lets stop you from causing more damage, so i ask him 4x or 2x, says 4x, do the axles bolt in from the hub, yes, ok unbolt them and take them out and pull the driveshaft and drive the truck here on 4x, he says ok, whats it gonna run, i said if it's just the spiders and its aam 10.5 or 11 it could be around $500...

It gets here and guess what, he drove it for miles before he called and wrecked the gears, and carrier and it was a limited slip and he put a hole in the housing, none of this was seen till it was apart...
The big aam diffs are anything but cheap and the limited slips aren't cheap either...

So his $500 went to $1400 for all the internals and bearings and fixing the hold in the housing and his 1st words, "you said around $500" i did if it was spiders only, you wrecked everything including the housing..

The price doesn't jump because i want it to. . .

I had a guy pull in and i woulda swore it was a few teeth off the ring gear, was a d-80, pulled the axles popped the cover, removed the main caps . . . . . And everything fell out, carrier in 2 pieces, all kinds of smashed and ground up bearings and spiders and cross bar.... It didn't sound any worse than it was missing 3 teeth. . .

More than 70% of my customers want a price before i touch it, and none want to pay the $50 inspection fee that gives them a price to the penny.

Keep that in mind

amen brother!!!

Oh yeah, badmouth mechanics. Classy. We go strictly by the Motor Alldata labor guide. Usually, when we add up all the parts it falls between 800-1200 dollars. We won't touch one without doing every bearing in the housing and on the carrier. We also give a 12 month 12K mile warranty. You priced all the bearings and shims lately, Paul? Maybe you should before insulting mechanics next time.
Absolutely RIGHT!! Always makes me laugh how many people think it's that easy to do but don't have a clue. Then they don't like the answer or price they're given & suddenly it's a rip off! They pay some a-hole to do it cheap & then when it makes noise or doesn't work right he's ok though. Why, because he did it half assed & you got the cheap price you wanted? No, they are the guys who rip people off taking your money for doing a job they aren't qualified for.
Do you complain to your doctor about what he wants to cure you? Do you bring him your own meds? Do you tell him what YOU or your buddy think it is that's wrong & expect him to treat you based on your diagnosis?
It takes knowledege & expensive equipment & tools to service cars. How many times, which of course people won't admit, does the weekend warrior go into Autozone or Poop Boys & get parts to fix his car only to have to go back numerous times because it didn't fix it? All because the Professional wanted to charge him $100 bucks to pinpoint what was wrong.
I guess we professionals are just that good we make it look sooo easy!..

Well guys, this has been a VERY interesting exchange of ideas (among other things)............

I found a clean 489-2.76 here on FABO with a good pinion seal & bearings, and presumably nice and quiet.

I could use the extra case hanging' around so I can set up a S-Grip in my spare time anyhoooooo..........SO, I'm gonna give this a shot.

I'll just swap 'em out and see what she sounds like........I need my old mileage back too.........the 2.76's should calm it down a notch.

Thanks for the input guys............................... Doc

Labor alone should be 200 or less. I enjoy having different carriers set up just for the enjoyment of having the gears that are needed. The fact is everyone needs more than 1 carrier..
If you're bringing the shop a chunk & a set of gears, reusing the old bearings etc. & just having a set of gears isntalled, maybe you get it done for $200. Maybe. But if you want it done thoroughly & ready to roll it's at least 3-5 hours labor.
Remember the original problem was there is a noise coming from the rear assembly. All you guys think it's about putting a set of gears in. Then what? New gears & still noisy. If I'm not mistaken they were done once already. :banghead:

If you're bringing the shop a chunk & a set of gears, reusing the old bearings etc. & just having a set of gears isntalled, maybe you get it done for $200. Maybe. But if you want it done thoroughly & ready to roll it's at least 3-5 hours labor.
Remember the original problem was there is a noise coming from the rear assembly. All you guys think it's about putting a set of gears in. Then what? New gears & still noisy. If I'm not mistaken they were done once already. :banghead:

Right. It's as if the mechanic's knowledge of correct diagnosis is worthless. I've been in this arena in one form or another since 1974 and it never ceases to amaze me how people justify that mechanics should do work for free.

I can understand some people thinking they are getting ripped off, but when someone says i got a buddy who does it for $100 i know immediately that it's being guessed at... No one in there right mind is spending hundreds and hundreds on tools and doing something for 3 to 5 hours for $100 UNLESS they are StooooooPID, which now you should ask yourself why is this guy only charging me $100 and the MAIN tools to do the job are easily over $900 not including regular hand tools + it's not a 20 minute job

I have a rule at my shop i recently enacted because the bs is gonna kill me, when people come to me with other peoples F ups, They must tell me who did the job 1st, not for me to bad mouth them but simply for me to know am i going to get into this and X did it and he usually just is in a rush and F's up a little bit (which means this poor guy now is now paying $400 where he would have been at $300) ... or is it XX's F up and it's butchered to hell and back and i lose my mind screaming and throwing things around wishing it was the asshole who did this last rather than take it out on the tools and shop walls and heavy bag . . . .this way i can tell them GTS outta here unless you are paying me $5000 for the stress and chiropractor visits from shaking my head profusely and beating myself for taking this hoopty butchered mess in...

I love the people who you give a price and they go to the cheap guy who they pay them to get another lesson on their stuff and maybe get it right this time.... I always break there balls and tell them its $600 for that, then they're like wait wait 4 months ago you said $300, yeah but this is better here it's like community college or Columbia university, you tried the community college now pay for the best. . .

I think mechanics (some of them) get the short end of the stick, many times it's the shop owners.
I had recently got involved with a shop here and kinda teamed up with (huge F'in mistake), and they F'ed everyone they could and even including me.... I moved out though and on going battle right now, but some shop owners are real disgusting scummy pos.

It's kinda funny about people complaining about shop rates. I use a shop local to me that charges 65 bucks an hour for labor for things on the newer vehicles that I don't want to tackle or simply don't have the knowledge to fix, which is fair in my opinion. I know many people that go to other shops in the area that are cheaper and then a week later they are taking their car back to the shop and complaining it's not fixed right. When they tell me about it I tell them to take it to Mark and let him do it right the first time. The response I usually get is I can't afford that. I ask how many times can you afford to take it back to the guy that didn't do it right.

I know one guy around here that messed around with one shop for over a month and spent 4 times what the repair should have cost and still didn't get the problem taken care of. He finally broke down and took my advice and took it to Mark and it was done right and no problems after that.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for.

Exactly, i got a customer that had a motor built, nice pieces and very good power, but either not enough knowledge or stupidity and they dropped a valve, the total on this motor was 18,600. . .
He argued with them about them F' in him and he screwed it up and they said it's his fault he over revved it have a nice day they're not doing anything for him without paying...

Then after arguing with that pos scum bag shop they came over to me, i looked and said to them if i did this i wouldn't have cared if you seen 9500rpm, after all when the rocker is pushing the retainer down first before the valve stem i would expect that to happen, i said go back there shove his head against the valve spring and turn the motor over and tell the genius to watch closely to his master building motor stupidity...
Tell him have they ever heard of lash caps and ask WTF they were looking at when adjusting valves.
So he comes back and said they dynoed the motor and that if that was the issues it would have broke then, so i said listen they're assholes they don't know where they're doing and just looking for excuses and got lucky the valve didn't drop when it was on the dyno or when you put it on the trailer, it dropped on the 2nd pass, it could have dropped on the 4th or 7th, inevitably it or THEY were going to drop because the rocker is leaning into the retainer as it starts to push it down, inevitably the keepers were coming out and THE valve or valves. were dropping.

This guy had to pay for there stupidity, and it wasn't cheap, guides, head, valves, pistons, o/p

If it was me i would just but a new set of gears , two new side bearings, innere and outer pinion bearing , seal . Another thing is it bearing noise, or gear noise .And another thing i see alot of good members on here with these third members for sale all the time , even if you had to go to a 742 case , alot cheaper then 900 bucks . Thats just me though.

reason I just bought complete 742 with 3.23 suregrip from Cudaspaz for half that. Gives me another center section I can swap out depending on the need at the time,Joe

-
Back