How much $$$$ have you spent?

-
I didn't know I was supposed to keep track!

FYI... I sold my Hemi Duster in July 2011 and it was the first car I ever built, restored and sold (i drove it for 11 years) for more than it cost me to build.

Tons $$$$ in mine, worst thing is having all these parts sitting in boxes everywhere just waiting to be installed.....

$800.00 purchase price.
$8513.49 so far.
Interior, suspension, trans, and rear axle done.
It runs and drives good, but ugly needs paint, drove it this past weekend.
Tearing down an extra 360 mag, which turned out to be in real good shape and working on extra fenders and doors.
I do all my own work so 12K might finish it.

A good friend of mine said it is cheaper to buy a finished car than to build one, just be able to take care of the surprises the previous owner did not fix.

So far I am at less than $500, but have done zero work.

I hear how stupid I am all the time from people about the amount of money i put into my Duster..All the while they are sitting in a 20XX model whatever that they paid $30,000 for that will be worth $6 per hundred pounds 40 years from now...

And the tarded winner is .......... 4K for the car ,year and a half in the resto shop -car shredded and re-assembled every piece restored ,new 8 3/4 ,new tranny , new top end , etc.... 48K , rechrome/ replacement trim and interior re-upholtered 3,500 ,410 stroker 9k , race rebuild 904 and converter 1500 misc bits just under 2k .
Hammer down in the middle of the night on the Trans Canada Highway crossing the flatlands at 5500 rpm with a 323 rear end and 245/60/14s PRICELESS

well, hard to put a price on my builds,a s i use alot of parts off of cars i part out.
i am in the process of restoring a origional 70 fm3 (pink) 340 duster. i paid 1800 for the car, and with all my bartering, all said and done, will have right about 6k into it. that is with a bone stock 340 and me swapping it to a 4 speed.

I hear how stupid I am all the time from people about the amount of money i put into my Duster..All the while they are sitting in a 20XX model whatever that they paid $30,000 for that will be worth $6 per hundred pounds 40 years from now...

That is so true, you never catch me spending more then say $12-14,000 on a car. 3--4 year old cars are just fine if they were driven nice and oil's been changed.

No way I'm paying $30,000 plus on say the new 2012 Buick Regal with a 4 banger when cars like the 2008 Pontiac's G6 with a V6 and around 30,000 miles you can find for $15,000 or less.

And that's for the wife to drive, ha ha.

I got by for many years with a 1992 Olds Ceria with a V6 till about rusted in half, there was large holes in the sides, weak heater but a/c worked fine so I left it alone. Good thing I never hit anything with it, got me around 21 mpg, the same as this 2008.

Cars can be so expensive and still its not prefect, so screw it, a $5--7,000 ride works just fine.

i have around $24K in the motor and power adders alone... not to mention the tubular K frame and rear sus, paint, brakes, tranny.. yuck!

about 7500-8000 including the price of the car.most of that is for engine,w2 heads,valvetrain,machine work,trans and converter,8 3/4 rear w/suregrip,springs.still need paint a better carb,tuning....

Im about 11k into the motor and tranny410 stroker 4 speed still got a few more hundred to spend for motor then a couple thousand on suspension and paint wheels
Nd tires

At this point somewhere around 20k. I have every single reciept, including the nickel and dime stuff most people forget about. You wouldn't think the little stuff like hose clamps and a tube of thread locker would add up to that much but it sure the heck does. Probably is going to run another 10k to finish and be car show ready.

close to 11,000.00, still needs: carpet, headliner, new dash cap, paint, rebuilt motor.

It's all subjective... How bad is the car, what can you do yourself, how much time you have, etc. I've got about $700 in my '65, but I got it in decent shape and I went a little overboard on the 7 1/4 when the wheel bearing went bad. The last car I priced doing completely for a customer I was at $30K. The guy said i was "under the influence of a controlled substance". That was 4 years ago. I saw him last year, out with the car freshly done. It cost him $33K. For a street car, starting with a complete, running, driving car with Northeast US rust, it will generally break down around 25% for the engine, 10% for the trans/driveline, 50% for the body/paint, and 15% for the interior and minutia. Obviously, a southern rust free car will need less body/steel work, but the interior and driveline will be worse... The higher dollar value the car, the more the cost. The faster the car, the more the cost. The rustier the car, the more the cost.

My 71 440 Scamp has $24000 in it. That does not include the second motor after I wiped a bearing on the first one..

Attachments

• s3.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 166
I'm $10k into mine but a majority of the money spent has been made off of side jobs and parts sold. I have laid out $5500 of my own money and I'll drop another 10-15 g before I'm on the road

i have been working on my car for over 4 years pretty much complete and ive got about 26000.00 but i love it and dont tell the wife

More than it's worth. The only way to rationalize the expense is to drive it. No matter how ratty it gets, it will never depreciate like a cookie cutter modern car.

Oh, and if it makes you happy, it's probably money well spent.

I stopped adding after the 6,500 + for the engine build

That's a big reason why I bought Mackin's 416 and besides the engine is kinda separate from the car as you can always drop in a generic 340 / 360 and keep/sell the high dollar stroker.

Well the guys that will post probally spend more than their wives!
I gaurantee I have spent much more than the wife thinks on every build. I am trying to take my time and save some money on the Duster, but have already spent much more than she thinks. Wives are on a need to know bassis!

-
Back