how much horsepower from my 318?

-

bigtommy

old school power
Reaction score
i have this 318 i got from a 86 dodge panel van and want to know if anybody on here can tell me about how much horsepower it has. the stock info online says about 230hp and i got a 4bbl edelbrock street-master intake with a 600cfm Holley carb on top with a one inch spacer. i also put a pair of long tube headers on it and got the heads and intake cleaned and ported. the transmission is a stock 727 auto with a 7.25 stock rear-end. that's about it. its going in my 67 4door valiant with 255/60/14 tires in the back. could any tell me how much horsepower to the wheels i am looking at??? i know its probably a dumb question.

Probably about 150-175 at the rear wheels. More with a 904.

To the wheels with a stock 86 318 with a four BBL!?

How about less than the 210HP 2bbl 318 from the late 60's early 70's.....

150 yeah..... Scary huh?

I googled the 86 316 2v hp rating "200" hp.rating at the crank If its 200 at the crank he could add say 40 hp for the 4v and headers to make 240 less 20 percent for drive line drag which should come out to about 190. Then subtract horsepower for the pistons way down in the hole making the cr a lot less than advertised plus some hp for poor quality control equals about 175. Just out of curiousity guys, when did they start rating hp at the wheels?

If an 86 318 with a 2bbl had 200HP, then the 210/220HP 318's from the past must of been measured with much bigger horses........... Cuz there is no comparison between the A318, and early LA 318's and an 86.....

And unless you know some kinda voodoo I don't, stock cam 318 doesn't gain much from a 4bbl and headers.... I've kinda done that a lot, sure, it makes a difference, but you can really feel 10HP............................

Think of it this way.....

If what you say is true, then a 86 318, with a 4bbl, and headers, would be 35HP shy of an old 340?

Nooooo wayyyyyy.

Did they ever? I do know they started measuring it with all the accessories on in like 73........
It was 1972 when this switch was made (this is way you see a big drop in HP from 1971 to 1972. Also 9 out of 10 times the engines had no change to them so what you see in 1972 is what the 1971 engine were really making).

with the cam, if i do like a .450 lift, would i have to change out the valve springs or could i keep the stock valves, rocker arms, push rods etc.??? because i believe that a stock 340 or 360 comes with a .450lift cam stock. because i'm trying to get the most power with little money. because i work at McDonalds making like 500 a month lol. yea

Find one of those warehouse brand cams, that are like 260/270 adv duration, with like 420-440 lift. easy on an old engine, but yet gives a bit more power. The Comp or ISKY 260/260 cams are my favorite for a cam/manifold/carb uprade for a 318. The valve guide seals will need replacing a few hundred miles after the cam change though. No big deal.

Guys, his engine isn't stock. It has headers, an intake and a carburetor. That's not stock. The headers will lean an engine out a bit. The 600 carburetor fattens it right back up. The intake can only be helpin. The little motor probably runs pretty good. No, the factory never rated power at the rear wheels, but that's what he asked. He didn't ask for cam recommendations or anything else. He simply asked for an estimate based on what he has now.

i had a 318 2barrel std exhaust and a904 auto it gave me 160hp at the rear wheels unrestord. (exscuse my spelling)

Guys, his engine isn't stock. It has headers, an intake and a carburetor. That's not stock. The headers will lean an engine out a bit. The 600 carburetor fattens it right back up. The intake can only be helpin. The little motor probably runs pretty good. No, the factory never rated power at the rear wheels, but that's what he asked. He didn't ask for cam recommendations or anything else. He simply asked for an estimate based on what he has now.

DUDE...... It's a stock engine with a 4bbl and headers........... :axe:

And then, you can't read.... cuzzzzz.... the OP saaaaaaaaid............

with the cam, if i do like a .450 lift, would i have to change out the valve springs or could i keep the stock valves, rocker arms, push rods etc.??? because i believe that a stock 340 or 360 comes with a .450lift cam stock. because i'm trying to get the most power with little money. because i work at McDonalds making like 500 a month lol. yea

Reason I suggested the cheaper warehouse brand cam, is cuz he is working on a strict budget...........

Strokerscrap, from many many many experiences, on many many many different 318's, adding many many many 4bbls, of all different kinds, sizes, and even HEADERS..... Yes the teen runs pretty darn good, but with a CAM change, not much, but with a CAM CHANGE, that's where you get the power.

248 duration 380 lift doesn't do much.

K pumpkin'?

thank you strokerscamp. i was thinking about doing a cam but if i can get good power with just what i have i wont get a cam but i have little money to spend.

On a budget you can change the cam with springs lifters and chain for around $200 and probably get an easy 50 HP, more with the mods you already have. You can get 340 springs from rock auto for around $50 a set. The summit cams are a good for the money, and the 340 cam works well too. It is very easy to add 100 hp with no penalty in MPG if you can resist the temptation to use the extra power all the time.

DUDE...... It's a stock engine with a 4bbl and headers...........

Since they didn't come from the factory with 600 CFM Holley carbs, Streetmaster intakes and headers, it's not stock. His engine will make more power than a stock engine. Stock means stock. If you spent years doin all the stuff you say, you would understand that. Try runnin the stuff he has on a stock class in dirt track. lol

thank you strokerscamp. i was thinking about doing a cam but if i can get good power with just what i have i wont get a cam but i have little money to spend.

Then what I would do if it runs good NOW is run it like it is, save some money and maybe do somethin different with it on down the road. That way, you might could do more if you save more money over time.

since they didn't come from the factory with 600 cfm holley carbs, streetmaster intakes and headers, it's not stock. His engine will make more power than a stock engine. Stock means stock. If you spent years doin all the stuff you say, you would understand that. Try runnin the stuff he has on a stock class in dirt track. Lol

yawn........

Heres a Video of my 72' Dart 318 with just a 4bbl holley and dual exhaust from the manifolds. the rest is 2.76 gears and stock old 904 tranny..

From the single stock exhaust and carter 2bbl to the 4bbl Holley and 2 1/2" duals from the manifolds it increase my 0-60 time from 9.2 seconds to 7.1 seconds as seen in the After video. you could probably excpect the same or very close results. As for HP id say a 20hp increase or so to the wheels compared to stock.

2bbl Carter and stock exhaust : [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vwdapylujs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vwdapylujs[/ame]

4bbl Holley and dual exhaust : [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yh9s3HQap0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yh9s3HQap0[/ame]

the engine is not in the car yet. i just done all the stuff i said i have in. so thats why i said about the cam because its already out of the car, well and because all the people think i wanted a cam and really i just wanted to know how much horsepower ill get from my "stock 318" HAHA and i know it didnt come stock way bck when with ported heads? so no not stock lol

Heres a Video of my 72' Dart 318 with just a 4bbl holley and dual exhaust from the manifolds. the rest is 2.76 gears and stock old 904 tranny..

From the single stock exhaust and carter 2bbl to the 4bbl Holley and 2 1/2" duals from the manifolds it increase my 0-60 time from 9.2 seconds to 7.1 seconds as seen in the After video. you could probably excpect the same or very close results. As for HP id say a 20hp increase or so to the wheels compared to stock.

2bbl Carter and stock exhaust : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vwdapylujs

4bbl Holley and dual exhaust : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yh9s3HQap0

My Wifes Ramcharger with a stock 2bbl, single plane intake, and 70 truck manifolds will outrun your dart 0-60, with a crane 270 low lift 119$ cam and lifter set cam........ (3.55 gears may have some to do with that, but it is still a heavy brick)

The stock 318 cam is too small for gas mileage even. :) No joke.

the engine is not in the car yet. i just done all the stuff i said i have in. so thats why i said about the cam because its already out of the car, well and because all the people think i wanted a cam and really i just wanted to know how much horsepower ill get from my "stock 318" HAHA and i know it didnt come stock way bck when with ported heads? so no not stock lol

Do you have pictures of the porting?

When someone tells us that they have a 4bbl, headers, and porting, and they are running a stock cam, of COURSE were going to want you to change the cam! It's the difference between 150HP at the wheels and 200+......

Makes sense to me.

Here's my next question, is the cam possibly a roller?

The stock flat tappet cam in those years, was like 240/248, with 400 lift. The lobes were spread out for passing the sniffer test.

Like putting a 6" lift on your Ford Hi Boy, and running 215's........

But you got your HP answers at first. :) I would say no matter what you do short of NOS/Boosting it, no more than 170. :-D

Okay my stock 1968 2 barrel carb 318 made 230 horses...higher compression....by 1977 my 2 barrel 8.5:1 compression ratio made 140 horses...I would guess his 1986 model may not be more than that unless they did something different in trucks and vans.....now my 1969 318 that I built up with a 440/440 lift cam and stock intake manifolds will make 236 horses according to Comp cams software....600 cfm four barrel with a performer intake manifold...headers can a little but combustion ratio and cam really infullence the horses

-
Back