How much Primer?

-

bbeep71

Reaction score
I want to use epoxy primer(PPG) for my 66 Barracuda. I'm going to mix Blue(DP60LF) and White(DP48LF) to get Light Blue(original color) primer. How much primer do you think I need to paint car?? The car is going to remain in primer for a while. My version of Rat Rod.

I am by no means a paint expert, but when I did the body on my Charger, I just kept primeing and sanding till it was straight.

4 coats. almost 2 gallons.

Are you just doing the outside panels. or are you priming things like the trunk, underhood, inside doors, etc? I'll assume you don't have a vinyl roof on that 66 fish.

I am by no means a paint expert, but when I did the body on my Charger, I just kept primeing and sanding till it was straight.

4 coats. almost 2 gallons.

I agree, depends on how much you have to block. If you buy a gallon of each you will be fine.

2 qts of each will be enough. You will have 6qts sprayable with the hardeners and more if you add the 1/2-1 part reducer. 2 coats is more than enough especially if you don't reduce it. It does layout nicer with some reduction. The DP isn't made to be used as a build primer but if it sets long enough(months) it does sand okay.

Bob
PPG paint store asst manager

Yeah, Bob's your uncle there. I've usually only used epoxy as the first coat to bare metal. There are far, far better sanding 2K primers out there that won't end up making you wish to commit suicide after blocking a single panel and destroying your abrasives budget.

This is just outside priming. The car will stay in primer for awhile until I decide to have it painted. I will be doing the bodywork and priming as I go along.
Thanks

I always use more than I think I will, but then I primer the floor, the work bench, the driveway sometimes and always the walls, messy me

-
Back