How much R134?

-
"It depends". I've seen percentage recommendations of percent of R134 of the original R12, IF you have that information, but that only applies if the sytem is "dead stock."

If you've added a larger condenser, larger/ longer hoses, larger drier, etc, the amount no longer applies.

That's why I always charge by pressure/ temerature and SUPERHEAT at the compressor, about 15-20*F.

A good starting point is filling it up until the low side pressure it at ambient temp.
-Jon

**edit: That's when the car is off, not with the compressor running**

The recharge bottle (19 oz I recall) I got at Autozone had a pressure gage and a chart showing the typical low side pressure at different ambient temperatures. A rough rule is ~50 psi with compressor running if ambient temp is 75 F.

If it is a stock system put 75-80 percent of what the R12 called for...

It is a custom system. I found online 25-44 PSI on the low side is within normal range. Does that sound right? BillGrissom is saying 50psi. I have 3 12oz cans right now.

I was going from memory and the rather inaccurate gage on the recharge bottle. I recharged the R-134A in my 96 Voyager last June since the AC wasn't cool enough. I recall reading ~25 psi low side (AC clutch on). After adding the full can (19 oz I recall), it read ~50 psi and the AC now works great. I didn't get all 19 oz in since the plastic valve on the kit had a crack and some leaked. In your case, I would add a 12 oz can. If it helps, but not enough add another can. But don't go over 50 psi low side.

Good to also monitor high-side pressure, but requires another gage. You can get an AC kit at Harbor Freight w/ multi gages and valves. I have one (~$25 on sale), but didn't even bother to use it that time.

I borrowed a set of gauges. Unfortunately last night I was going through my hose connections and it turns out I am missing the large side of my condenser and both sides of the compressor. Sucks I was hoping to be driving cold tomorrow.

-
Back