How much should I expect to spend.

-

Coryduran

Reaction score
How much should I expect to spend if I were to swap my 273 for a 360, and get said 360 to a point where it's pushing out a decent amount of hp. Assume I get a great deal on a stock 360 someone pulled outta a van or something.

How much should I expect to spend if I were to swap my 273 for a 360, and get said 360 to a point where it's pushing out a decent amount of hp. Assume I get a great deal on a stock 360 someone pulled outta a van or something.

Hey Bud, Nice Dart. I have one the same color. Actually mine was originally JJ-1 light turquiose, but was resprayed light blue a while back buy a guy named earl sheib.

About the motor ... it depends on how far you want to take it. For my dart I am planning an efi'd 408. I already have a block, rotating assembly, and heads, and I am planning on spending another ~6-8k when it is all said and done. How much HP is decent for you? You could probably get it done for next to nothing if you got a good deal on an LA 360... and were happy with ~300bhp...

I'd definitely be happy with 300 hp in the near future. I'm a 21 year old college student so I'm not trying to build a 500+ hp car right now. I have a stock 273 2bbl in it right now with 180 hp, and I've been told that it would be cheaper to just drop a 360 into it than it would cost to convert it to a commando engine. So yeah, I mean say I would be happy with 300 hp, what should I expect to pay?

And this might be a hard question to answer, but how much mpg should I expect to get? I mean, I understood that old american isn't the most efficient, and right now I get like 12-15 mpg, which I don't mind, but if it were to get like 8 mpg, I might not be able to handle that ha h.a

Also, I have the stock automatic torqueflite transmission that came with the car, if I do the engine swap, should I be looking to swap transmission too? or would I be fine keeping the tranny I have in now? Not that knowledgeable about this stuff.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of a disc brake upgrade, trans shift kit, rear axle upgrade to at least a 8 1/4" and shortened drive shaft. Also exhaust system upgrade and larger tires and wheels.

I don't see why I would need new tires and wheels? And I am already going to install disc brakes coming up pretty soon. I'm not trying to make a drag car, just a street car with some power.

Fuel economy will probably go down compared to the 273s which are probably the best gas sippers of the mopar v8 game. If both budget and gas mileage are a concern, you may want to also consider a 318. Those things are practically given away. Tranny should be OK, I would be more worried about the rear if you have a 7.25".

The price really depends on the deal that you get, so it is hard for anyone to say. I personally would budget $2000, but that would include a freshen up of any motor I bought, plus some performance upgrades.... But I have seen running stockish LA motors with good compression sell for $500.... really depends on the deal....

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pts/1930669567.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/pts/1928922664.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/pts/1928916312.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/pts/1936555209.html

I'd definitely be happy with 300 hp in the near future. I'm a 21 year old college student so I'm not trying to build a 500+ hp car right now. I have a stock 273 2bbl in it right now with 180 hp, and I've been told that it would be cheaper to just drop a 360 into it than it would cost to convert it to a commando engine. So yeah, I mean say I would be happy with 300 hp, what should I expect to pay?

And this might be a hard question to answer, but how much mpg should I expect to get? I mean, I understood that old american isn't the most efficient, and right now I get like 12-15 mpg, which I don't mind, but if it were to get like 8 mpg, I might not be able to handle that ha h.a

Cool. Yeah that's what I was kinda expecting to hear, just was wondering from the more experienced members, it's my first time doing anything like this so the extra input is always nice. What could I expect to get out of a 318 if I were to spend 2 grand, hp/torque wise? Just a ballpark, don't need it to be really close, Just wondering. I mean I'd like to have at least 250+ hp if I'm going to a bigger engine. Converting to factory commando settings would give 235 according to chrysler.

Cool. Yeah that's what I was kinda expecting to hear, just was wondering from the more experienced members, it's my first time doing anything like this so the extra input is always nice. What could I expect to get out of a 318 if I were to spend 2 grand, hp/torque wise? Just a ballpark, don't need it to be really close, Just wondering. I mean I'd like to have at least 250+ hp if I'm going to a bigger engine. Converting to factory commando settings would give 235 according to chrysler.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...318_small_block_budget_build_part1/index.html

that motor made 220rwhp .... probably around 300bhp

Yeah that'd be perfect for me and what I want. Thanks a lot mopardreamin!

To put in a 360 using all the 273 parts possible you will need the 340/360 conversion mount from Schumacher (left side is unique to 273/318 or 340/360), plus either a new convertor with the larger (later) crank hub, or the adaptor to let the early convertor work with the later crank hub. To go from a 273 (internal balance) to a 360(external balance) you'll need the flexplate from B&M. With no other changes, and assuming the radiator and support systems are good, you will need to spend at least $400-$600 on it. The V8 '65s ran 7 1/4 rears, but you are increasing the torque by about 40% I think so an 8 3/4 should really be a part of the deal sooner rather than later. For that, add another $600/1000 depending on location, gearing, and quality. Lastly, with paint, wearbles, and basic stuff, add a couple hundred onto it to get it in and running, and another few hundred to have the exh upgraded.

-
Back