How Much Tire Will Fit Under My 71 Dart

-

junior

Reaction score
Hey guys
How much tire can I get under my 71 Dart? I'm thinking about moving leaf springs in. I want to get as much as I can get. How about some suggestions on tire size rin size and offset?

moving spring inboard will not get you anymore tire clearance unless you minitub the car...

As 70aarcuda said, it all depends on what you can/want to do. If you don't want to go to the work and expense of mini-tubbing, you can maximize the tire size by using offset spring hangers and shackles. This will only gain you about .75-inch per side. You can get a 275 tire in if you optimize the wheel backspacing.
Now if you want to go to the work and/or expense of tubbing, you can get any tire you want to fit under there. Years ago I raced a '69 Dart that had 14x32 slicks completely under the car. Full tubs and the outer wheel opening was not raised but was stretched 4" to get the slicks to fit.

255/60-15 on a 15x8" wheel is as big as most people fit, with the stock spring location, and unaltered wheel wells.

NWDave, What backspace was used to fit the 255/60/15's in a stock Dart? Did you have custom wheels made with 5 on 4" centers or did you swap axles to the 5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern?

My '68 Dart has the 7/8" spring offsets...

My Dart's inner fender lips are rolled in.

Wheel is Cragar SS, 15" X 9", with 5" Backspace.

Tire is a BFG 255-60R/ 15. This is the largest tire I can run in my car without major rubbing when going around corners. The 7/8ths Offset kit is the most you can move the springs inward without minitubbing.

I got my Offset Kit from Mancini

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/manofshacand.html

chucker54_2077_38715364
chucker54_2077_38674528

As you can see in the first pic, with the spring Offset Kit the Outer Edge of the spring is directy in line with the Inner Edge of the wheel-well.

I've heard people say that they can fit a 275 in there...not in my car. I tried, and there was No Way....

engine007.jpg

engine006.jpg

DartGT010107010.jpg

Guzzi Mike,

On the offset kit, how do the springs move inward @ the axle, once the front hanger and shackles are installed? I realize you must loosen the "U" bolts, but isn't the leaf centered on the axle perch with a pin or does it just slide over?

I'm getting wider wheels made now (15X7 & 15X8 with 4.5" BS) and am hoping I won't need the offset, but I want to be prepared. I just replace all the bushings back there with poly bushings, so it's fresh in my mind.

Pete

I don't have 255's on the rear of my '71 Valiant, I was just quoting what others have done and shown. I'm running 215/70-14's all around, on SBP 14 x 5.5" Mopar Rallye wheels

You can fit a 255 in the stock well with the right BS on the rim.

A 275 will fit if you roll the fender lip and put the off set spring kit on there with I think a 5 or 5.5 BS on the rim.

Mini tub it and you can shove a big O tire in there.

-
Back