how much trouble and what kind?

-

rigrunner

rigrunner
Reaction score
i have a 73 valiant with a 318 and am wondering what is involved in dropping the oil pan to get to the oil pump. also what is better stock or high flow pump the engine has about 108000 miles on it new heads and a lunati bracket master cam. thanks for any help:rock:

It's a little involved. You'll need to raise that car up high and then lift the engine slightly to remove the oil pan.

On the oil pump, A standard oil pump is what I would use if the engine didn't have low oil pressure after use and idle or was low while driving. That would indicate a worn out engine.
If I was to strech the engines use out, then a high volume pump would be used. Not so much high pressure.

If you use a high volume pump, it will be a little thicker than stock and you'll need to check the pump housings clearance to the pan and then a slight readjustment to the pick up upwards about a 1/4inch to clear the pans bottom. You can slightly bend the pick up tube with little effort.

:sign7:
It's a little involved. You'll need to raise that car up high and then lift the engine slightly to remove the oil pan.

On the oil pump, A standard oil pump is what I would use if the engine didn't have low oil pressure after use and idle or was low while driving. That would indicate a worn out engine.
If I was to strech the engines use out, then a high volume pump would be used. Not so much high pressure.

If you use a high volume pump, it will be a little thicker than stock and you'll need to check the pump housings clearance to the pan and then a slight readjustment to the pick up upwards about a 1/4inch to clear the pans bottom. You can slightly bend the pick up tube with little effort.

thanks rumble for the info ive put them in fords before but am fairly new to mopars. my timing gears stripped a while back and thought it a good idea to clean the pan. not sure of oil pressure it has no guage

Well, if ou decide to put one in, it'll attach at the rear of the engine block right next to the distributor. A idiot light sender shaped like a bell is probably allready there.

Be careful with the high volume pump if you use it. Sometimes it can suck the oil up faster than it returns to the pan.

heads or tails ? A new stock oil pump might protest or even etend the life of the new cam. It could wash the main bearing out too.
I would drop the pan and clean the pickup screen. Fresh oil and filter. Happy moparing for who knows how long. i have a 73 318 with 308 K miles. 2nd timing set put in at 26? K miles. Good luck with it.

heads or tails ? A new stock oil pump might protest or even etend the life of the new cam. It could wash the main bearing out too.
I would drop the pan and clean the pickup screen. Fresh oil and filter. Happy moparing for who knows how long. i have a 73 318 with 308 K miles. 2nd timing set put in at 26? K miles. Good luck with it.

sounds the easiest way to go. ive been driving it regularly with no issues so far and its been in the back of my mind there may be a future problem with all the potential peices in the pan. i think ill just clean it up and reassemble thanks to everyone for all the advice

time is an issue because i drive a truck i called my local mechanic he wants 300 bucks plus part to replace my pump is this too much? is it that involved?

A standard oil pump is what I would use if the engine didn't have low oil pressure after use and idle or was low while driving. That would indicate a worn out engine.

Hey Rumble...not to jack the thread but was wondering if you could clarify a little as to what you think is low, etc.....

My 318 runs about 60-75 psi when cold......after running a while, it drops to about 30 in drive at idle...about 40 in neutral at idle....but jumps back up to 60-75 as engine speed climbs.

I have no noises or anything....

Shadango,your oil psi is fine.

Hi volume pumps really only create issues under hard acceleration or braking when the oil in the pan is sloshing around a lot.Baffles and or a floating pickup are the way to go with the hv pump.

-
Back