How much will a 27×10.5 slick grow?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
I getting ready to tub my car and I need to know how tall to make my tubs.

Is there any rule of thumb? Last thing I want is my hot tire hitting the tub at the big end...

Only 27" ?
I have 28's and have about a half inch clearance. I haven't noticed any problems to 120 mph

Depends on how hard you turn um up.

I getting ready to tub my car and I need to know how tall to make my tubs.

Is there any rule of thumb? Last thing I want is my hot tire hitting the tub at the big end...

What body style is it ?

71 dart.

Wheels are 15x10
BACK IN THE DAY, OUR 14X32 AND 16X32`S, would grow about 3/4" in the old hemi belvedere on the big end. A friends 265 superstock record holding 55 chevy rubbed a new set of slicks at shreiveport one yr., the old ones he pulled off did not rub. Lot of diff in tires too.

I think the size is in the title?

Dulley noted...

To restate ... with the 27 X 10.5 tire, is that actual size? Because listed/printed sizes are off sometimes. That is an actual 10.5 wide tire? And not contact patch width.

Brand tire not listed but ... a GoodYear may grow less than, say, a Hoosier.

All of this I do not know and ask because there is a gap in knowledge. I had heard ... some tires will grow more than others. Also, the rim width has a play with the tire. Perhaps the brand of tire on the 10.5 grows more over a 12 inch width?

So, does a Goodyear grow more? LOL

IDK, a little thinking out loud.

Check to see how tall the tire is with out weight on it and add half an inch cause walls still push out a bit. Idk if they would actually swell up any more than that by the tires heating up a little bit

I guess the simple answer is I should just make the tubs as large as possible.

Hey J par, yeah I was gonna run a big boy tire but funds and time say just get the car done. I'm tired of the car being down...

I'm in the midst of un-jank-de-fying my car from doing things like that when I first started building it. Just quickie kind of making it work and getting it on the track. now I'm going back and taking time and making the doors open correctly and the windows work correctly ect......

I guess the simple answer is I should just make the tubs as large as possible.

Hey J par, yeah I was gonna run a big boy tire but funds and time say just get the car done. I'm tired of the car being down...

Yeah I'm itching to hit the track.

After almost 2 years of building my car is still not done. The new motor ai t finished, fuel system is on the ground, sub frame connectors not in but it gets a little closer each weekend...

As long as progress doesn't stop your ok.

Yeah I'm itching to hit the track.

After almost 2 years of building my car is still not done. The new motor ai t finished, fuel system is on the ground, sub frame connectors not in but it gets a little closer each weekend...

The bigger the better. U have also got to take I to account how far the rear drops as well.

Thanks, I had not taken into account the rear squatting on launch. Nor had I thought about just lifting the rear up to fit a taller tire.

I may just put my spring sliders on 2x3 stock to make up for the loss of shackles.

I like the rake I have and was kinda bumbed to loose it whit the lower height of the sliders.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Thanks, I had not taken into account the rear squatting on launch. Nor had I thought about just lifting the rear up to fit a taller tire.

I may just put my spring sliders on 2x3 stock to make up for the loss of shackles.

I like the rake I have and was kinda bumbed to loose it whit the lower height of the sliders.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

If you are running leaf springs it should not squat when you leave the starting line. Leaf spring cars rise in the back at the hit.

i can tell you that a M/T tire will fit in 10" width. 10.5 will be very tight but might work as all cars are a bit different.
A 10" wide Hoosier won't fit. Not at all. Need a spacer under the rim and a lot of bending the wheel housing outwards. I made that experience last week and have Pictures.

My car is a 72 Dart. Springs etc all stock

I'm gonna make tubs, shorten the axle and move the springs under the frame, so that should give me some extra room.

-
Back