How much work needed?

-

swingerboy

Reaction score
Hey guys!

What do you guys think about this duster? It has almost nothing on it. It is literally just a shell. He said the lowest is 500 but I really want to drop a 340 in this thing! What can you tell the car needs in the engine bay just by looking. My idea is to just make a little stripped down Duster with a nice 340 in it. I found a 340 for $600 with a 727, but I honestly have no idea what else this car needs? Can you tell what electrical work it needs? For the lights? Engine etc? Thanks! I want to use these for negotiating tools :) Can I keep the whole build under $1500 if I get the car for $500 and a $400 engine? All I want in the interior is a single seat...

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3991573257.html

hard to tel with those pictures but it looks to be missing every wire under the hood. so at the very least it needs a headlight,wiper and engine harness. and thats assuming the bulkhead and rest of the wiring is there and ok.

Plus the bottoms of the quarters are rotted and I see root on the cowl,
As mentioned I don't see any wiring under hood
Plus you'll have to go through and put all new brakes and plumbing on it
And who knows if/how the rest of the wiring is

Pass on it. It's just a /6 car. If it was a 340 car then definitely, but not for what it is. You'll put WAY more into that getting it going than just finding a decent complete car that's more solid and going from there. You can get a good deal on a running, driving, stopping car as a better starting point.

Don't waste your time. Find something you can drive for $1500.

It may be an OK project car, but no way to tell from a few pics. I think your $1500 goal is very wishful thinking. Does it have front disk? $$. probably no sway bar $. How's the rest of the brake system, fuel lines, rear? You need wiring, a K, mounts,... Not trying to rain on your parade, but you will find the list of stuff you need grows everytime you look at the project.
I paid around $1200 for a complete, running car and hoped to put it on the road for a few hundred more. I am only building a stock /6 car and am in for around 4K and still going (thats a guess, I don't have enough heartburn meds to handle doing the math). LOL

It looks like a decent start, and at $500 is worth that much in parts. I just don't see getting it on the road with your proposed budget. In my opinion, a $600 340 with a 727 is probably a core, unless they don't know what they have. Being a slant car it's more than likely small drum brakes all around with a 7 1/4" rear, which will not live long behind a 340. Besides the wiring mentioned I see no brake master cylinder so who knows what else in that system may be missing. You'll need conversion motor mounts at the least. Full exhaust. Driveshaft. Radiator. Doesn't look like there's any wiper pivots sticking through the cowl and it's missing at least a couple side marker lights. Assuming that the engine you're planning on runs and the transmission works as it should,I would think you'll probably have at least $2500-3000 just to get it on the road. For that kind of money you could find something that already drives and be enjoying it.

By the way, just to be clear, I didn't mean to imply that a '71 Duster in that condition isn't worth $500... I think it's not necessarily a terrible deal. But for the needs and goal you are after... you can do much better to get there more quickly, easily, and inexpensively.

I'd offer $250. It's got rust & tons of missing parts. At best it's a race car IMO.

Swingerboy, I agree with what everyone has said. You really should drive out to see it in person. The photos don't show everything that would be needed. I would really take a look behind the dash and see what is missing. It looks to be a long term project to get it to be street worthy.

Yup, for the money you can find something way better
I bought my 74 dart sport with a 318 running and driving for $1080, and that's after taxes and title
It needs work, but I can drive it and it looks decent

-
Back