how not to break in a cam!!

-

aengineguy

Reaction score
So my buddy asks me "do you want to come over and help on my startup after engine rebuild?" Now the engine had been sitting for more than a year after being built. I said sure, knowing that the guy that rebuilt the engine was going to be there. Now be forewarned, this was a 396 Chevy. I asked the builder if he had high zinc oil in it, he said no, asked if he had removed the inner springs for the break in, he replied no, asked what rpm and how long he was going to run it for break in, he said just enough to get the timing set and rev it up a few times. Now this guy has raced a little altered with a 468 BBC for many years. I did not want to press him or make a big deal out of it. It did start right up, good sign, rev it a few times, let it down to idle set the timing and mixtures. Probably ran about 5 to 7 minutes. I told my buddy, sure sounds like a dead cylinder? But who was I. Because the ca r needed paint and body, my buddy started it on occasion and did not drive. Everytime he started one or two of the cylinders got weaker....OK nuff of the lead up. I told him to take the valve covers off and lets take a look, sure enough 3 of the rockers did not even move. I told him to tear it down and rebuild and I will help him do the right way.

20150608_160816.jpg
20150608_160835.jpg

Hope your buddy realises the error of his ways. All to often when this happens people want to point fingers at everyone and everything but themselves.

Hope your buddy realises the error of his ways. All to often when this happens people want to point fingers at everyone and everything but themselves.
Yes he does, but he was only relying on someone, the builder, to know what they were doing. So I help him when I have time. With my direction at every move, he rebuilt the engine himself and we broke it in properly and it runs great.

You can't fix stupid, and this thread proves that.

Sad thing is, most guys at the track can't use a timing light.

And read a spark plug? What a joke.

-
Back