How Park works on Bush Button

-

dodgedave68

Reaction score
Ex GF has a 64 barracuda with the push button trans. It has two issues.
1. wont start on key, but once you install a ahot wire to coil, you can start it off the relay and turn it off with key.

2. the car doesnt seem to have park anymore - we ulled the engine and trans out for new mounts and cleaning etc. now it doesnt seem to 'lock' in park anymore.

my shop manual is actually a 65 so - doesnt NOT cover the pushbutton set up
its only got one cable coming out of transmission and clips to the a little shift rod on the dash set up

HELP

BTW its near dallas and she wants to sell it since we arent together and daughter needs a daily driver

how did you separate the park cable when you pulled the engine/tranny? I think I have a 62 FSM still that shows the adjustments, I'll try to dig it out tonight. I would look at the cable housing assembly at the back of the tranny & see if you have it re-assembled correctly ,Lawrence

On my 62 I had two issues with my Park one was the spring in behind the dash was broken a which caused the cable to bind and brake, THen I also have the spring in the rear of the trans mission on the cable get all twisted up. I ended up repalcing the cable and both springs

there was a clip like, what holds the throttle cable to the carb, at the shifter under the dash - all i did was pull that clip and pull the cable off and feed it out to the engine compartment, so it stayed with the transmision. i dont think i touched it at the transmission.

thanks for the help - im just trying to get it to work so the x can sell it and buy her daughter something more daily driver ish

you separated at the shifter, If I recall the cable is usually clamped in place & that bracket stays with the cable. there is a spring that keeps tension on the the park lever that might not be in the correct location.--You need to look at this mounted to see if the levers are lined up now. Lawrence

-
Back