How rare is a 68 GSS?

-

1968dartman

life is getting better!!
Reaction score
As some of you are aware I have a soft spot for 68 Darts, and would LOVE to own a GSS. Just how rare are these cars? I know that they were only from Grand Spaulding Dodge, but always wondered just how many were made? I need to start buying lotto tickets if I ever plan to own one! Also wondered if any of them were stick cars.

As some of you are aware I have a soft spot for 68 Darts, and would LOVE to own a GSS. Just how rare are these cars? I know that they were only from Grand Spaulding Dodge, but always wondered just how many were made? I need to start buying lotto tickets if I ever plan to own one! Also wondered if any of them were stick cars.

as far as the research I have done .......they were all autos because Mr. Norm actually recommended the 727 because it suited the engines power curve better.

He is on facebook .......we can ask him to be sure.

The Magic number is ...... '48'. ...... All Automatics.

They were originally GTS 383 cars that were pulled from the line on
November 19, 1967 and on December 7, 1967.

* LS23M8B208*** ...... November 19, 1967
* LS23M8B225*** ...... December 7, 1967

I met a guy once who had one and he claimed that there were 50 68 GSS Darts.

I lived in northern Ind. before moving to Tucson. Myself and a select few of friends would skip school every now and then to drive to Chicago. As this went on in our 11th and 12th grade ( somebody had to drive) we saw many of that towns sights. 1st year the sears tower opened, the loop, wls radio comming through a old am radio with pipe organ speaker covers, and the first reverb I saw in a car. Ah was good to be a kid in 68,69,70,71, .No worries of the draft untill we got out of school. One of our regular haunts was the old J.C. Wittney building. The place was old, and had wooden floors that had valleys worn in them by countless people that would "belly up to the counters to get only the stuff they had. I do praddel on so. One of our "regular" stops was the parking lot across from Grand Spaulding Dodge. We even went in once, but a sharp salesman soon realized we didnt belong inside. I cant tell you how many super cars we saw. To this day, I look for that rams head sticker on the drivers rear window. I think they did that to let any one on that side just what they were in for. That whole G.S.S. story is good. To my knowledge G.S.D. was the first to shoe horn in a 440. Man..what a sleeper. I like many of us, have a true G.S.S. on our lottery money list. What I did was to build a car as close as my money would allow. Its a 74 scamp w/ a 440. It wasent easy, but I stayed with a 833 4 speed. I put in some rare parts and got to meet Mr.Herb Mcandless as he was the only one building headers for R.B./Abody / 4speeds. He was a real guy, and gave me many tips about the 4 speed cars. so..... untill your ship comes in... find a Abody that isint a mint ,Build one, and roast some bowties!!!!!

I hear the sound of cash crinkling then being sucked into a vacuum headed towards a bone fire..

I met a guy once who had one and he claimed that there were 50 68 GSS Darts.

There are a good 'Bakers Dozen' stories about the 1968 440 Darts.

Just how many did Grand-Spaulding Dodge order, and convert to GSS Darts
with the 440.

And how many 1968 GTS 383 cars did Chrysler Racing take and convert to 440's
to compete {Factory-backed} in SS/EA for the 1968 NHRA Racing season.

To my knowledge G.S.D. was the first to shoe horn in a 440. Man..what a sleeper.

I met Mr. Norm a few times. One time a few years back I thanked him for "embarrassing" Chrysler into putting a 440 in an A-body. He was modest about that, but told me the story on how he put his "shop guys" to the task. :???:

I can't remember exactly what the "show stopper" was for Chrysler not putting one in, but his shop guys found an easier solution, then made the first one. #-o

After it was done, Mr. Norm drove it to Highland Park and met with the head of Chrysler engineering and asked why they didn't put a 440 in the A-body. The chief engineer said that his engineers said it wasn't possible because of that "show stopper" issue. Mr. Norm then told him that they found a solution and had one outside.
#-o
The chief engineer called his "underlings" out to see the car, and the rest is history... :D

Mr. Norm taught Chrysler how to do it.... :prayer:

Someone who should get credit as well.

Rich Ignotto of 'Iggy's Mufflers' in Chicago.

In late-1966 > he was the first guy to design {hand fabricate} under-chassis Headers for a 383 in an A-Body.

I have a friend who is a very well known vendor in the Mopar world who has 2 440 Darts, a red one and a black one! He bought the red one for his wife and the black one for himself brand new, but they haven't seen the light of day in decades! As a matter of fact, I have only seen the grille of the black one because both cars are completely packed in by boxes from his business!!! I have been bugging him for years to actually get one out, and the promises are always plentiful, but he is so busy helping y'all that he doesn't "have the time" to dig them out!!!

1968 440 GTS Darts and Grand Spaulding Dodge GSS 440 Darts.

Part I

True Story >

Chrysler {Dodge Racing Division} were initially planning on building '50' special
Factory-built GTS Darts with a 440 - 375 HP Engine to qualify for the 1968 NHRA
season in Super/Stock {SS/EA} or B/SA in Stock Class.

They had come to this decision in early-November 1967, after the NHRA World Finals.

'6' of these Dart GTS 440 cars were going to be delivered to 'select' Super Stock
Drag Racers, and to be 'factory-backed' to compete in SS/EA for 1968, and to be
showcased at the 1968 NHRA Winternationals and 1968 AHRA Winternationals.

But, in late-November 1967, a change {reverse decision} was made by the
Chrysler {Dodge} Racing Division.

as far as the research I have done .......they were all autos because Mr. Norm actually recommended the 727 because it suited the engines power curve better.

He is on facebook .......we can ask him to be sure.

This is a fallacy.

Fact > Chrysler would 'not offer a Warranty for a 4-Speed A-Body with a 440, in
fear of Drivetrain 'rip aparts' in the Uni-Body Frame.

Bob McCurry of Dodge told Grand Spaulding Dodge in no uncertain terms. If you
convert a 1968 Dart GTS 383 to a GSS 440, it's with an Automatic 'only'.

And, they were to leave Grand Spaulding with 3.55 Gears.

Any 'in house' changes, and Grand Spaulding would be responsible for any warranty
claims, as Dodge would 'wash their hands' of replacement parts or repair claims.

Here is that car, Gorgeous.

Attachments

• 68gts_1f.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 719
  • 68gts_1h.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 718
Carlisle 2014? Or an article?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 710
At the Kirkwood Highway Cruise in Delaware I saw a Mr. Norm sticker, it may have been oval (didn't photograph though). Darn! I think I got this from Carlisle 2014. Under the Corral pavilion? I know there has been a clone around there also. This might have been from an article.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 668
At the Kirkwood Highway Cruise in Delaware I saw a Mr. Norm sticker, it may have been oval (didn't photograph though). Darn! I think I got this from Carlisle 2014. Under the Corral pavilion? I know there has been a clone around there also. This might have been from an article.

I knew a guy who had a yellow GSS like that one...

This ad is from August 1969 so how long did they really make the GSS Darts
The ad is saying he has 69 GSS in stock???

Attachments

• IMG_1118.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 720
-
Back