"How the heck did that happen?" Injuries

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I have a scab on my lower left calf where the skin got taken off by a running engine alternator cooling fins. :D

What's your story?

I cut myself up so much I don't even keep track. "Minor dings" LOL. I used to HATE the damn Rheem "old green" hot air 70% gas furnaces. They were the worst, you'd pull the blower compartment cover, and reach in there to pull the blower out, SHARP edges on the sheet metal. No other furnace was that bad.

One day I pulled the blower out of one and sliced my forearm wide open. I should have had stitches.

Just this spring I "sawed" through a finger on my welding gloves with my 4 1/2" grinder. NO!! I did NOT have the OSHA required guard behind the wheel!!

slash on my index finger-

was getting all the air out of my cooling system removed the radiator cap small drips fell around the radiator i was wiping then off with a rag MIND the spinning fan car running wiped the front, sides and got to the back where it faces the engine and fan managed to clip me just a bit i am surprised it wasn't worse also surprised how stupid it was of me to do that. MIND THE FAST SPINNING FAN!

I cut myself up so much I don't even keep track. "Minor dings" LOL. I used to HATE the damn Rheem "old green" hot air 70% gas furnaces. They were the worst, you'd pull the blower compartment cover, and reach in there to pull the blower out, SHARP edges on the sheet metal. No other furnace was that bad.

One day I pulled the blower out of one and sliced my forearm wide open. I should have had stitches.

Just this spring I "sawed" through a finger on my welding gloves with my 4 1/2" grinder. NO!! I did NOT have the OSHA required guard behind the wheel!!

I think they made Mopar dashes out of those furnaces. :D
I also think guards suck for the most part, as they always seem to be right in the damn way of what I need to do.
Same with chainsaws (throw the tip guards in the trash because I know how to use a chainsaw)
My friend, (same one as above) got 18 stiches in his ankle for taking his off. :D Poor bastard.

Was messing with the starter cable with my right hand and didn't pay attention to where my left hand was hanging. Hit it right on the fan and it made a disgusting sound. Thought I lost my finger for half a second. All it did was bruise it.

Was messing with the starter cable with my right hand and didn't pay attention to where my left hand was hanging. Hit it right on the fan and it made a disgusting sound. Thought I lost my finger for half a second. All it did was bruise it.

haha yeah! the sound of a fan hitting maybe slicing off BONE! know your pain. :happy1:

I'm a carpenter when I 'm not banging myself up on cars so the list is way too long for me to type on a phone LOL

I have so many holes in me I mostly pay no attention, untill about three weeks ago when I weed wacked my forearm. Damn that hurt.

Cutting sheet metal for a tin shed, I reversed the blade on a skil saw. I was kneeling on the piece and as I just about got done with it the saw kicked back and went across my thigh. Cut my pants wide open and just left a slight scratch on my thigh. Damn lucky with that one.

The other dumb one was using a grinder with a cut off wheel. I was cutting a old fire box off a wall. I had gloves on but found out quickly that mechanics gloves melt. They also stick to your hand when melted. Entire back side of my hand was burnt and blistered. Only leather gloves from now on.

Between cars and maintenance job, way too many..
But one worth mentioning. Have a scar on outside of my wrist from about 30 years ago. Winter day, six plus inches of snow and i was out in a yard getting a drivers mirror for my (long gone) 71 cuda. Reaching my right hand inside of the door, never felt ithe sheet metal cut cause my hands were so cold. My buddy says "your bleeding". I licked the blood off so it wouldnt get on my coat. I thought he was going to pass out. I kept working and got the mirror. LOL

When I went to Navy Electronics "A" school at Treasure Island (68) they wasted no time in starting us down the "safety" road, especially as lots of gear back then still used vacuum tubes and high voltage. RADAR of course is worse yet, with as much as 5-10 KV in a CRT display, and 25K in some transmitter-modulators

Anyhow, "on a break" a guy from Detroit "Grote" (like to find him again) was showing us he wore his watch on his RIGHT wrist.............because..........he had a big SCAR on his LEFT wrist.

He'd been working on a car with a (then new) alternator, and got a Spidel watch band between the alternator output stud and ground.........welded the watch band and his wrist together, right then and there.

I was real young and had a limited amount of decent tools to work with and needed to cut a set of springs down for the shocks on a motorcycle I was building.
I tried a hacksaw and worked and worked on that spring but (a hacksaw won't cut a spring just so you know:D) anyway, I got disgusted and grabbed that spring out of the vise it was in and a second or two later I smelled something burning.
My hands were all greasy dirty so it took me a min to realize it was the grease on my hand burning.
I couldn't have dropped that spring nearly fast enough and for two or three weeks I couldn't straighten out those burned fingers without them cracking open and bleeding.
That was one of my first big lessons in friction causing heat.
Damn that hurt.

I can totally relate to some of your stories people, as most of them have happened to me too.

Having a bench grinder grab your finger and pull it inside the cover and grind your knuckle off sucks too.
It's up there with some of the most painfull small injuries I have ever had.

Have so many small scars on my hands. Have one on my left forearm. My ex and I were doing what we did best....fight. She stabbed me with a bamboo skewer, jammed it in far enough it came out of my arm about 4" higher...

OK so I make jewelery and there are a lot of sharp tools I use but a few memorable slips. Drilling a seat for a diamond and the bit walked into my finger. Didn't know how deep til I picked a piece of bone from the bit. I also use a sawblade about the thickness of a hair. One broke on the downstroke and yep right thru the web of my thumb. Pushed it thru cause I wasn't pulling it. BTW crazy glue keeps me from bleeding on my customers stuff.

Many moons ago, when I was installing a 8" lift on my F-150 in my parents garage over a long weekend break from school I almost killed myself. Rushing to get it finished up, I had trouble getting the drivers front wheel on. I had to stack pieces of 4x4s under the jack to get the height I needed to get the wheel on. So as I'm doing my usual brute force way of doing things, I had my head in the wheel well between the tire and the fender and I was pushing the wheel on the stud. Missed one, the truck rocked, and fell off the jack. The truck came down and sandwiched my head, luckily the jack caught on something else and all I suffered was a really bloody nose and a fat lip.

Not so much a "how did that happen" story (young stupidity) but I like to share it for safety.

I don't usually wear gloves, but I was drilling out some rivets on a steering joint for my daughters vehicle holding the part what I "thought" was far enough below the point I was drilling. Well the bit broke thru and grabbed the glove and pulled my finger into the bit. Funny thing was some how removed my hand from the glove still wrapped around the bit. Needed a tetanus shot anyway. After the doc put a few stitches in. Just one of many over the years working aviation.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 316
cutting a zip tie with my pocket knife/scalpel

index finger to the bone

so sharp it looked white and didn't bleed for a few seconds

DAMMIT!!!

Be safe out there guys. Have to think safety before job starts. Done stupid stuff myself. You only have one life. Worked hard hat construction for 21 years, nuff said.

I mess myself up a lot because I'm a carpenter. A couple i can think of,

I used to work on a wooden roller coaster. I was about 60 feet in the air, standing on a 2x6 trying to use an angle grinder to cut a bolt off. I managed to get it, then my harness slipped and was no longer allowing me to go hands free so I grabbed something and then let the grinder go. It went right into my leg at full spin, cut my pants and gave me a nice singed line. It actually cut my skin kind of deep then somehow cauderized it or filled it with enough metal dust to stop the bleeding instantly.

The other time I was working a job in Washington managing a floor waxing company. I didn't get a lot of sleep, and it was a graveyard job. I kept a 4" long ultra sharp floor razor on me which usually had a plastic bolt on cover. I left the cover there sometime that night, and an employee had to leave sick so I went and finished what they were supposed to do to help em out. I was going over towards the deli at a Safeway right when the girls who worked there started to arrive at about 4am. I was gonna scrape some paper off the floor, and I reached into my back pocket for the knife, which had no cover, and quickly dropped it. It sliced right through my palm and threw blood all over the floor. It just kept bleeding everywhere - big puddle. The deli girls saw it and were trying to dig through all their bandages to help me out. They eventually found some and I had to keep reassuring them I did not need to go to the hospital. It healed eventually.

If I had a dollar for every time I burned myself working on my engine I'd probably have a good 100 bucks by now. Especially the driver side manifold. You absolutely can't work around it without burning a knuckle at least once.

Way too many to think about and type.

But one time during a **** shoot............

-
Back