How tight is the Pinion Yolk?

-

Rbob

Reaction score
I removed a yolk from a spare diff and it was on there pretty good, I took a BFH and hit it several times from the backside (it was out of the car) and it came off.

It slips right onto the 489 case and bottoms in the splines but there is a little slop. I did not attempt to tighten this up yet but it has me worried that the splines are worn.

This is a 10 spline 489 case diff and it came with 4.30 gears and no yolk, my plan was to transfer the yolk over and tighten it up.

I bet it is more involved than I hoped. If I put it on and tighten it up to torque spec and the backlash is ok what could go wrong?

Go ahead, give it to me!

On a 489 case, you either need to replace the crush sleeve and torque to specs, or replace the crush sleeve with a special spacer and tighten to spec.

Yup, can't reuse the crush sleeve. Either replace it or go with the crush sleeve eliminator. Also when you put the yoke on put some grease on the splines, it will help keep the rear lube from leaking through the splines.

When I rebuilt my 489 i was surprised at how easily it slid on and off AFTER getting it off the first time. I have had zero issues with mine.

You wil also need a rotating torque type toqure wrench to properly set the preload on the sleeve or shim pack. This is not the common torque wrench...

Thank you for the info, I have access to the correct torque wrench and dial indicator.
Just going to order the "crush sleeve eliminator"

While you waiting on your part, it might be a good idea to put that yoke on there and snug it right good. Then get a backlash reading before you disassemble it, try and get as close to that when you put it back together. Mark the bearing caps so that they go back on the same way too.

Where do you get the Crush Sleeve's from. I just put a 8 3/4 in my car and it leaks from the front around the yoke which has a new seal and I thought it might be the yoke was off but this makes sense. Never heard of this before. Thanks for the help

Crush sleeve can be had here, If your going to re-do it I would suggest the crush sleeve eliminator.

http://www.doctordiff.com/

Upon assembly it's a good idea to put some silicone around the front seal area before installing, also put some grease on the splines, that will aid in keeping the lube from leaking through the splines.

Everyone i have taken apart had a big washer that bottomed against the yoke and the nut bottoms on the washer so where can it leak?

-
Back