how to adjust vavles on slant six??

-

75gold.uster

Reaction score
i need help adjusting my valves, im 16 is this something i can do? to be honest i dont really know where too start. i replaced my head gasket and i was told i need to adjust the valves because it wont start... is there online directions any where or an online manuel thanksss for the help.

Setting them running is very easy, after your 1st attempt it should be not problem to set the remaining rockers. It was more painful removing the valve cover on my 62 valiant than adjusting the valves. Goes very quickly & is not that messy at low idle. Just remember the intake vs exhaust in the middle & your good to go, Lawrence

thanks for the info guys!!!!! i cant do it while its running cuzz it wont start . ima wake up at 630 and tackle this in the morning ill let u know how it rolls out! thanks again

against some peoples advice, i set mine while the engine was running, it was so damn easy and i didnt lose any oil. the best part was i could hear what i doing. it only took a few minutes, and i went through them twice just to be sure.

A 16 year old setting them running will end with a wrench stickin outta his eye. We gotta willing member close by to help this young man out? I mean geez, what we talkin about here? Maybe an hour after work?

Well, I just did mine. Tried it running and couldn't get the feel. So i did it not running and what difference! It may not be perfect, but some of them were like 1/16" before I started!

i need help adjusting my valves, im 16 is this something i can do? to be honest i dont really know where too start. i replaced my head gasket and i was told i need to adjust the valves because it wont start... is there online directions any where or an online manuel thanksss for the help.
I park it and set the tolerance ............. You should see my /6 valve cover
Watching it run helps and no new gasket replacement is needed every 15.000 miles =D>
Do it with a gage and cold...This will get you there ..watching it you cane see why it's easy to do it while the /6 is running

Attachments

• FOR%20SALE%20FABO%20099.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 197
Slant six Dan used to share a great instruction sheet he made for doing this. Is has been ages since I used it but it made good sense at the time.

Mike

against some peoples advice, i set mine while the engine was running, it was so damn easy and i didnt lose any oil. the best part was i could hear what i doing. it only took a few minutes, and i went through them twice just to be sure.

Agreed with this. Same experience here.
Just make sure you have a complete feeler gauge set. SSD's info (listed previously) on the subject is a great resource.

memike, you are not only confusing a 16 yr old, you are confusing us geezers. Looks like maybe a custom V-8 hemi in your photo.

You guys all insist on doing this running, and his engine isn't even RUNNING yet.

And while some of you think "Danny Boy" is the Geezuz of slants, this doesn't do a damn bit of good if you are trying to set up a new build or head replacement, etc.

Read the link posted. The so called "EOIC" method works on anything from a Briggs lawnmower to a Pratt and Whitney

hey guys i got my engine running i rebuilt my carb the floats were way off. its sounds pretty good but im going to try and adjust the valves while its running so ill let you know if i get a wrench sticking out my eye!!!!!

-
Back