How to adjustable rockers??

-

wigsplitter74

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
I'm changing heads and have a set of MP adjustable iron rockers and I'm asking for a how to on setting these rockers. I have also heard that sometimes you can set up adj rockers to increase valve lift, what's that all about?? Thanks much.

Install the rockers on the shaft so that the left and right are in the proper locations. Start with TDC #1 and loosen the adjuster so you have lash and the lifter plunger is ll the way up. Slowly tighten the adjuster until the lash just goes away then one turn more. If the lifter is full of oil then the plunger won't move right away and you will tend to open the valve. Don't worry about it, just make sure you find true zero lash and go from there. Also pay attention to how much thread is sticking out the bottom of the rocker. Correct position will have the push rod cup pretty close to the rocker. Roll the engine over and observe everything!!! The pushrod should have very little if any side to side movement as you run through it's travel.

Have not heard about increasing lift by "setting up" rockers. The only way to change lift with rockers is to change the distance from the push rod ball to the shaft or the valve tip to the shaft.

Can't say that I've heard this before, the only way to increase lift with rocker arms is to use a different ratio...1.5 stock....they make 1.6 and 1.7s that will increase the amount of lift your cam has, but never heard of an adjustable ratio rocker arm.

Have a look at this link...

http://www.wallaceracing.com/rockercalc.php

I'm changing heads and have a set of MP adjustable iron rockers and I'm asking for a how to on setting these rockers. I have also heard that sometimes you can set up adj rockers to increase valve lift, what's that all about?? Thanks much.
hope they are not talking about cranking down the adjuster to lift the valve of its seat lol.
too much/little gap can affect the duration (how long the valve stays open) of a camshaft.

Oh, if you are using a mechanical\solid cam you need to set lash specs to the particular cam/lifter you are using. The cam should come with specs on how much lash. If you are using a hydraulic cam/lifters you will general be setting the preload to the lifter manufactures specs.

Check this link out...for a how to on either or type cam.

http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/comp-cams-lifter-tech-2629.html

good luck!

There Is No Left Or Right On Adjustable Small Block Rockers. There Is Two Different Lengths Of Pushrods. One For Solid Lifters & One For Hydraulic Lifters. You Can Change The Lift By Changing The Rocker Arm Ratio, Stock Is 1.5.
If Its A Hydraulic Cam, Rotate The Engine Until The Lifter Is On The Base Of The Cam, Both Valves For That Cylinder Will Be Closed With The Adjustment Backed Off. Then Tighten The Rocker Adj. Screw Until You Take All The Slack Out Of The Pushrod, Then Tighten It A Half Turn & Tighten The Locknut. Procead To The Next Cylinder.
If It Is A Solid Lifter Cam, You Will Use The Same Proceadure, Except You Will Have To Set A Clearence Between The Rocker & Valve Tip. The Cam Mfr. Will Have The Specs.

Note; Make Sure The Oil Holes On The Rocker Shafts Are Pointed Down & The Right Direction. The Oil Holes Are Not On The Center Line Of The Hold Down Bolt Holes.

For hydrolic set up....I have always done as said by everyone else...

However even for certain hydrolic set up's under certain engines and what not will have certain specs they recommend following.

I normally tighten the rocker nut down ....all the while with my finger tips spinning the pushrod back and forth.....keep tightening the rocker nut just until you feel resistance in the spinning motion of the pushrod (this is 0 lash) meaning no up and down play between the rocker arm and the lifter.

from this point ,different cam manufactures and different stock engine specs may tell you to do different ( PRELOAD ) settings....alot of guys go with 1 full turn and your done.

But some specs call for after at zero lash,turn an additional 90 degrees to set preload or a full turn and a half of a turn or an additional 45 degress.

just some words of advice,make sure you look into the specs of your specific application and double check your setting things up correctly.

or....theres always the old school way,get it close to being set....fire her up and set them while the engines running by sound

-
Back