how to drain a 904

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
whats the best way to drain all the fluid out of a 904?

I have a 904 that came out of my car when I did a manual trans swap and I want to put the 904 in storage but I don't want it leaking all over so how can i completely drain it for storage?

I just stand them on the rear tail until most comes out.

start on one side of the pan ..take out the bolts...leave two bolt loose on one side....as you take all the other out..the pan will tilt to one side..and empty out pan

Seals tend to get brittle when they are stored dry.

I always store them with fresh fluid and a filter in them. Put a yoke in the tail and wire it in place by going around the tranny mount to keep it in place. I put a piece of metal with tangs welded on it to keep the torque convertor in place and it is bolted across the case. I make sure and run a bolt through the dipstick mounting tab and wire the dipstick to that tab so it can't be removed. I store them just like they would be sitting in the car. I have stored them that way for years and so far I have never had one that had gone to crap when I used it.

To drain it, I usually attach it to an engine stand and do it just like it was being done in the car.

well im just keeping bcoz its numbers matching to the car but have no intention of ever using it again which don't make sense ....I should just toss it ....but being a relentless pack rat.

well im just keeping bcoz its numbers matching to the car but have no intention of ever using it again which don't make sense ....I should just toss it ....but being a relentless pack rat.

I know what you mean. I've got an old 904 that came behind a 273 Commando Barracuda I had. I believe it's got some different internals, like maybe valve body or governor springs so it will upshift at a higher RPM, or so I've been told.

Don't think I'll ever use it since I'm a 4-speed guy, but how could ever get rid of it?? Plus it's only got about 68K orig miles on it.

-
Back