How to go about?

-

Suregrip391

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I bought a prop valve from a 73-76 A-body car and was wondering what the best route in cleaning it would be? I never had one apart or even know if they can be taken apart without hurting them?? Sorry my pics are a little fuzzy at close range. I guess my questions are, can this be soaked in a parts cleaner and then blown out with air? Can the nut on the one end be removed and flushed out or?? Im not sure how long this thing has been off a car and I do not know its history...What would you do to clean up the inside? If anything? I plan to polish the outside to bring back the luster...

v1.JPG

v2.JPG

v3.JPG

I Didn't Take Mine Apart. I Just Used My Bench Wire Wheel To Clean It. All This Item Does Is Senses A Brake Pressure Failure Warning Light. I Removed The One On My Race Car & Replaced It With An Adjustable One. I Plumbed It In The Rear Brakes. The Car Stops Fine & I Could Dial Up The Rear Brake Pressure To Help Hold The Car Against The Brakes. The Car Also Stops Staight, No Pulling. If You Go To The Mopar Action Web Site, It Has Alot Of Interesting Articles On Mopar Brakeing Systems.

Hey thanks mullinax95, I will pull it apart and clean it up. I have a bench grinder from Sears, Is that all you used with a buffer wheel attached to it and compound? I will have to go to sears and see if they have the wheels/compound.

Oh Yeah!....there is a O-ring here... don't loose it or let it come in contact with gasoline! I didn't know it and gasoline "enlarged" the rubber O-ring so much that it wouldn't work. I had to go to the hardware store a match one up in the plumbing department. If yours looks as if it needs replacing you can get them there.

v1.JPG

Yes, its a combination valve; proportioning for F&R balance AND in provides residual pressure for the rear wheel cylinders. Go to the MP brakes website and read how they work.

The valve can be opened and cleaned. there are a few little rubber items in the assy (piston/cup). that often degrade and may actually tear. PLUS there may be corrosion from water in there.

Its hit or miss. It may work with only exterior cleaning - or it may not work properly. The valve are available new from In-line tube.

I've always cleaned mine, I use brake fluid and lintless wipes to clean the internal parts. DO not use solvents.

-
Back