How-To: Help with installing Torsion Bar Adjusters/Assembly

-

107jm

Reaction score
Long story short. We took the duster to a shop to be lowered,the mechanic ended up stripping the block and bolt on the Torsion Bar Assembly/Adjusters.
We ordered a new pair.(both sides)
A couple of guys here on FABO told us it shouldn't be too difficult to replace and adjust them at home.

The new set. (Below)
http://www.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/74333/35612

Only problem is, We don't know how to install them.
We'd like some help please.

The car is a 1974 Plymouth Duster. This is how low it ended up.disgust

Attachments

• P071111012.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 544
ok, remove the "BOLT" all the way from the adjuster/block assembly. place the block up in the lower a arm where it sits under the pivot adjuster deal. (you see the grooves on the block? they sit on the edges of the A arm and keep the thing centered) the grooves face downward. now thread the bolt back in from the bottom up. the end of the bolt should fit up into the little cup in the end of the torsion bar pivot. now just start tightening it up. the more tight the higher the ride. put some light greas or small bit of anti sieze on the threads to keep rust away

Have the weight off the front end when you do it.
C

jack the front of the car up and put safely on jack stands at the frame rails behind the front wheel's....remove the existing torsion bar adjuster bolts and then the lil' block thingie can be removed from the lower control arms....install the new ones with the rounded part down then lube the torsion bar adjuster bolts with never sieze compound and install......when making a major change in height to the car take the weight off of it first so it doesnt strip off the adjuster bolt threads...........Wagg's

Got the new Torsion Bar assembly/adjusters this weekend.
here are some pics XD
IT WAS easy. I thought it would be really difficult. Thanks for all the help, we couldn't have done it with out you guys!
Most of the pics are before and after.

In the last picture the Duster's front end is high up in the air lol
we had just installed the tba, we started adjusting the height after that.
Thanks again!

Attachments

• P071811040.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 455
  • P071811047.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 459
  • P071111012.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 457
  • P071811055.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 440
  • P071111001.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 450
  • P071811057.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 448
  • P071811049.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 453
well, depends..what are your plans for the car? 1/4 mile? road course? i like 17's myself, but the classic 15" torque thrust wheels are nice...

I don't know. I think it looked good before.

LOL it did, it looked mean as hell!
but the handling was crappy, the front end was super jumpy, and the tires would scratch the fenders on turns ; /
Were probably going to go for the that stance but at a higher height.
Can't explain it very well :mumum:

well, depends..what are your plans for the car? 1/4 mile? road course? i like 17's myself, but the classic 15" torque thrust wheels are nice...

A daily driver, with power under the hood, no big plans for the strip.
just a mean street machine.
Would a combination of sizes be a good idea? *bigger rim size in the back*
I've seen that in some other cars.

-
Back