How to identify what rear end is in my car

-

fitchett

Reaction score
I have a 73 dart swinger that was passed down to me.it was half restored when i got it.i know the rear end was replaced but dont know what it is the car was being built with a 440.

Is a 8 3/4 rear end plenty strong enough for a nice small block and how do i tell what kind of gearing is in it.im new 2 this thanks.

Is a 8 3/4 rear end plenty strong enough for a nice small block and how do i tell what kind of gearing is in it.im new 2 this thanks.

That is plenty strong enough. To see what the gear ratio is, Jack the rear of the car up, mark the drive shaft, turn the rear wheel one time, as you rotate the rear wheel, count how many turns the driveshaft makes to one turn of the wheel. This will tell you very close to what gear ratio you have.

That is plenty strong enough. To see what the gear ratio is, Jack the rear of the car up, mark the drive shaft, turn the rear wheel one time, as you rotate the rear wheel, count how many turns the driveshaft makes to one turn of the wheel. This will tell you very close to what gear ratio you have.

....................Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh............... This depends on whether the axle is "Sure Grip" (limited slip) or not

You might have an "open" or "single track" or "non" limited slip rear.

Block the front wheels, jack up ONE wheel, and put the car in neutral. See if you can turn the tire with the other still on the ground. If you CAN you have an "open" rear axle. In this case, turn the tire TWO full turns while counting the driveshaft.

THEN, if the tire will not turn, you have a "Sure Grip." In that case, jack up BOTH wheels and turn either one ONE full turn, and count the driveshaft turns

A 3.55 gear will turn the shaft 3 1/2 turns, a 3.23 3 1/4 turns, etc

-
Back