How to install a oh Sh#%t spring

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Someone know an easy way to install the coil spring on a 67 up style hood hinge? Or a ah **** spring.

I did it years ago when replacing the stock springs with "lighter" ones for a Dart Lite hood. It probably involved big vice grips, big screwdrivers and a towel for some protection. But I don't recall any details.

Wait until the car is fully painted and polished before you pull it apart.
Lol! They are crazy stupid to install.
It’s been a few years but I remember 2 people, a large adjustable and a pry bar. Wear safety glasses and gloves.
May the force be with you!

I did it years ago when replacing the stock springs with "lighter" ones for a Dart Lite hood. It probably involved big vice grips, big screwdrivers and a towel for some protection. But I don't recall any details.

4?pid=1.7&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.tenor.com%2fimages%2f151d92f0d538a8ed20fb8294db625374%2ftenor.gif

Well hell i was hoping someone was going to come up with a do it this way , it’s simple. But I guess not eh?

Why doesn't someone make a spring remover/installing tool like this? Just my silly idea. Stick this inside the coil spring and tighten the nuts, extending the spring. When installed, back off the nuts to remove.
100_2799.JPG

Have you tried a brake spring tool?

Hang it inside your floor jack. Pull it enough to get washers between each coil. That will hold it in a lengthened state then pull washers out after its in.

Not the over center spring. I knew the floor jack washer trick. I’m talking about the hood hinge spiral spring. I was hoping there was some “Trick” to putting those on.

Something like a big scissor, like the tool used to set a connibear trap.

-
Back