How to Make a Big Block K-frame

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I have been reading a couple of threads about different ways of putting a big block into an A-body; by either modifying a small block K-frame into a big block K-frame or with the Schumacher mounts. Looks like it can be done either way, but modifying a small block K-frame is the cheaper way to go.

Is there any threads or pictures of how to modify the K-frame?

I have been reading a couple of threads about different ways of putting a big block into an A-body; by either modifying a small block K-frame into a big block K-frame or with the Schumacher mounts. Looks like it can be done either way, but modifying a small block K-frame is the cheaper way to go.

Is there any threads or pictures of how to modify the K-frame?

Yes,
I just did one for my build...
I found the measurements on bigblockdart.com. There was a thread on there that give measurements and photos of how to cut the mounts and move the rearward. I am talking about the "spool" type smallblock k-frame. Then it gave the part numbers for the left and right motormounts. I think mine are from a C-body.

Don't quote me but I think the left side is cut and moved rearward 13/16ths and the right one is cut and moved rearward 1 1/16ths. Just like the Direct-Connection K-frames.

yes jim would be the best person to ask he helped me set mine up a handfull of months ago. helps that he just lives a few blocks from me too lol.

Driver side 1-3/16", passenger side 13/16". I do have a PDF file that I can send with pictures.

I noticed that the Schumacher mounts don't fit the 1973-76 K-frames. Can the 1973-76 K-frames be converted into a Big Block K-frame?

Did you look at the link? The '73-'76 SB V-8 K-frames are the ones to use to convert to a BB K-frame.

The Direct Connection K-member IS a modified 73-76 small block k-member. Schumacher does have conversion mounts for this k-member, BUT they require cutting the driver side saddle shorter and drilling a new hole for the main bolt on the mount. It is usually cheapr and easier to make a DC k-member and use factory mounts.

Did you look at the link? The '73-'76 SB V-8 K-frames are the ones to use to convert to a BB K-frame.

I missed that. I assumed that since the Schumacher mounts were for the '67-72 K-frames that so was the Big Block K-conversion.

The Direct Connection K-member IS a modified 73-76 small block k-member. Schumacher does have conversion mounts for this k-member, BUT they require cutting the driver side saddle shorter and drilling a new hole for the main bolt on the mount. It is usually cheapr and easier to make a DC k-member and use factory mounts.

OK. I was planning on swapping the K-frame out when I do the brake swap. Then I saw that The Schumacher mounts on their website only fit the 1967-72 K-frames. I wasn't sure what to do.
So I'll just pick up the entire front suspension including the K-frame, from a 1973-76 A-body and make the Big Block K.

OK. I was planning on swapping the K-frame out when I do the brake swap. Then I saw that The Schumacher mounts on their website only fit the 1967-72 K-frames. I wasn't sure what to do.
So I'll just pick up the entire front suspension including the K-frame, from a 1973-76 A-body and make the Big Block K.

I would just use what you got and get the mounts from ebay.

-
Back