How to make Horsepower?

-

70DusterGuy

Reaction score
I have got a 1970 duster with a 225 slant 6 in it. I was wondering what are the best ways to bump up horsepower? also what does this motor put out stock?

Do you have a 2 barrel carb ? are you running stock exhaust size ? what spark plugs are you running ? All these things can help more then most people know, me, Turbo is out of my price bracket.. I removed the heavy H.P robbing fan also. a lot of the small things will add up, fresh u-joints to wheel bearing and so on that can drag your Duster down.

There are only three ways: get more intake mixture in; get the ignition in shape to burn as cleanly and accurately as possible; and get more exhaust gases out.

There are only three ways: get more intake mixture in; get the ignition in shape to burn as cleanly and accurately as possible; and get more exhaust gases out.
You could lighten up all the internals so it will spin faster, then lighten up the vehicle. Making the vehicle lighter pretty much equates to adding H.P. at the bottom line.

I've got a turbo to sell you if you go that route. I was planning on doing a turbo six myself but ended up with a small block car by chance.

Other then that as they say there is no replacement for displacement

You could lighten up all the internals so it will spin faster, then lighten up the vehicle. Making the vehicle lighter pretty much equates to adding H.P. at the bottom line.

Ah but he didn't ask for how to get it faster/quicker...lol.
If you want it to feel faster with a little time and a few bucks - a shift kit, a good ignition re-curving, and some decent rear gears will get it a goodly way towards quicker.

Ah but he didn't ask for how to get it faster/quicker...lol.
If you want it to feel faster with a little time and a few bucks - a shift kit, a good ignition re-curving, and some decent rear gears will get it a goodly way towards quicker.

Si

you prob have 2.76 rear gears. even a 300hp engine would feel like a slug with those gears. id throw a set of 3.55 or 3.73 rear gears in it for daily driving and see what a difference it makes. you will be surprised.

The head flowing ability is the real limiting factor it's hard to build any real N/A power out of a /6, 6 cylinders head need to flow 33% more to be able to make same power as an 8.
300hp /6 would be an major build, your hp is in the low 100's a little work might get near 200, anything above that you need head work.
Saying that a 2bbl, exhaust and mild cam(any thing got to be a major step up from stock)
and as younggun said gears, personally I'd swap in a 8 3/4 with gears first for now with an eye to future of putting an 8 in but you do stay with /6 a built 6 still needs a strong rear end anyways.

With the head flow restrictions, go forced induction.
Turbo or blower WITH N2O will net positve results.

Just about anything you do will add HP to the sleepy slant, BUT a turbo with about 8-10 lbs of boost...now you're talking fun...
almost everything else is too little gain for the relative expense.

As for stock
Depending on what you read, 95-110HP is stock, BBD ,HEI and bigger exhaust gave me 125 on the iphone dyno app

273 gives the best answer to his exact question of "more HP". Changing the rear-end is the answer to a different question. The basic technical answer is to keep torque up at higher rpm, since HP = torque x rpm. Torque comes from cylinder pressure, which requires maintaining a high intake pressure, which means a free-flowing intake and exhaust. Without changing the valves and head, a turbo will supply the pressure. However, that is a roll-your-own solution currently.

Thank you very much. It has got a 7 1/4'' rearend with 3.23 gears. I'm thinking i will have the heads milled out(intake,exhaust), bigger cam, offy dual 1bbl intake, and headers. I am gonna see what that does for me and if it doesn't come good enough for me then maybe a 340 will be put in.

Thank you very much. It has got a 7 1/4'' rearend with 3.23 gears. I'm thinking i will have the heads milled out(intake,exhaust), bigger cam, offy dual 1bbl intake, and headers. I am gonna see what that does for me and if it doesn't come good enough for me then maybe a 340 will be put in.

the money spent on the slant to get you very little hp could be spent on the 340 or 360 (360 is cheaper and more readily available) and you would have 4X the hp as the slant.

I would tell you but frankly I am tired of writing books telling new members exactly what they can look up and research on line. Never get a thank you and the new member dissapears and we hear hi no hair of them or there car ever again.

Such a thankless job....:angry7:

The info is out there, start reading at slantsix.org they have the better info all documented. We have the better people.

And i once you have researched enough to ask specific answers, please feel free to come back and get specific answers.

For instance we cant tell you how much to shave the head for x:1 compression ratio. You must know your bore, stroke, deck height, and head gasket thickness and cc the heads. Then we will tell you how much to shave the block.

Sorry if I am being an *** about it, I really do wanna help. It just seems rude when people pop up and ask a vague question get a book of info they can find on there own and then dissapear.

the money spent on the slant to get you very little hp could be spent on the 340 or 360 (360 is cheaper and more readily available) and you would have 4X the hp as the slant.

i would like to see a small block making 800 hp that gets more attention then any built slant...

i cant go to a show without people climbing in the engine compartment... even when i was parked next to a 68 hemi charger and on the other side was an original AMC rambler(?) race car...

small blocks are so over done it just boring... besides when the chevy and import guys lose and say so i got beat to a mopar, then you can tell them its a slant six...

i would like to see a small block making 800 hp that gets more attention then any built slant...

i cant go to a show without people climbing in the engine compartment... even when i was parked next to a 68 hemi charger and on the other side was an original AMC rambler(?) race car...

small blocks are so over done it just boring... besides when the chevy and import guys lose and say so i got beat to a mopar, then you can tell them its a slant six...

to each there own. I respect all aspects of the hobby. I would just rather spend $2500 to get over 350hp than be lucky to get 250 with a slant. Like i said, i am not trashing anyone that builds a slant. I went big block with my car because i think its the easiest way to build power.

to each there own. I respect all aspects of the hobby. I would just rather spend $2500 to get over 350hp than be lucky to get 250 with a slant. Like i said, i am not trashing anyone that builds a slant. I went big block with my car because i think its the easiest way to build power.

i have a 512 BB pushing 650 sitting on the stand so i know!

-
Back