How to make sure steering box doesn't loosen up?

-

MOPARoldtimer

Banned
Reaction score
The hardened 1/2" X 13 TPI fasteners bolting my steering box to the frame have loosened. What's the best way to make sure they don't loosen again? Should I use Loctite red or blue? Red is stronger, but might require heat if I ever want to remove the box some day. Is blue strong enough? Since I'm using thread lock, do I need to put a lock washer under each fastener, or should I just use a hardened plain washer?

I didn't realize this is supposed to be such a huge problem. In the recent times, I've removed 4 boxes---the one in my 67, the one in the junker 67, and junked out a Demon and Duster. NONE of them had ANY loose bolts on the boxes

In times past, I've never had any bolts loose on the 5 previous Mopars I've owned. My 70 sixpack car had 140K on it when I sold it

Use the lock washer and red lock tite. Those bolts are big enough that heat wont be nessasary to remove them once dry.

I didn't realize this is supposed to be such a huge problem. In the recent times, I've removed 4 boxes---the one in my 67, the one in the junker 67, and junked out a Demon and Duster. NONE of them had ANY loose bolts on the boxes

In times past, I've never had any bolts loose on the 5 previous Mopars I've owned. My 70 sixpack car had 140K on it when I sold it

2x! power or manual its always the other issue, breaking them loose!

I'm guessing you could tweak the lock washers to make them grab a little more. When I swapped my steering box, I though they were regular flat washers until I cleaned them. :lol: ..I also had some k-frame flex after I put the big tires on the front, not bad, but enough for me to weld seam weld it and add a gusset or two.

I had mine come loose on my Dart, I could never figure out why the steering was so sloppy or why there was always a loud clunk in turns until one day (and this was probably like the 5th time I searched for the issue and was about to just give up on it) I noticed the whole steering box wiggling while my dad was turning the wheel!:eek:

That was the first and last time I've ever seen this happen...

I just took a half inch ratchet and a socket, torqued them and they came loose a few days later.

Took a half inch breaker bar and socket, torqued the sh%t out of them and then took a hammer to the breaker bar for some impact. Been tight ever since. :glasses7:

I don't know yall. I've pulled out a bunch of boxes through the years where the bolts were finger tight, so something was goin on. x2 on the red locktite and lockwashers.

Do yourself a favor, if your gonna use the loctite, (which is what I would do if this was happening to me) Use only a drop on the first couple of threads. If you globber that crap on there you'll be using alot of foul language later on when removing them.

"[P]ower or manual its always the other issue, breaking them loose!"

"I've pulled out a bunch of boxes through the years where the bolts were finger tight.."

I'll bet where you have a hard time breaking them loose it is due to rust. Mine weren't rusty. On the contrary, they had absorbed the oil vapors emitted by the engine and were covered in an oily film. I'll bet that's what eventually loosened them.

Loose bolst at steering gear was a more common issue in ealy As ( again no clue what car or cars we're talking about here ). Anyway.. Trivia fact for you
Chrysler Corp. provided majority of funding for R&D of a thread locking product especially for these 3 bolts. Duponts Locktite is the result.

Loose bolst at steering gear was a more common issue in ealy As ( again no clue what car or cars we're talking about here ). Anyway.. Trivia fact for you
Chrysler Corp. provided majority of funding for R&D of a thread locking product especially for these 3 bolts. Duponts Locktite is the result.

Hmm Ya learn something new everyday. good stuff.

Also, be aware that torqueing down bolts beyond specification will stretch the bolts and loosen the threads over time.

Also, be aware that torqueing down bolts beyond specification will stretch the bolts and loosen the threads over time.
Uh, no. The bolt doesn't stretch in the threaded part, it stretches in the part that's not in the threads. That's where the tension is.
Now the manufacturers are using torque to yield fasteners in many applications to use the bolt stretching to actually help maintain torque over time.

One more thing.....some of those gear box bolts are beveled under the head area to match a female bevel on the gear box. It was a good idea. Much like a wheel nut and how it mates to the wheel. Why the hell Mopar didn't do that to all of them? I have no idea. But I have only seen a few like that....and of course on those you could not use a lock washer.

-
Back