How to organize a tool box

-
Best thing I ever did for keeping my tools organised was getting a smallish plain steel toolbox and buying a set of cheap travelling tools (spanners, sockets, hammer, pliers, vice-grips, screwdrivers, multimeter, wire crimpers, zip ties etc) for loading in the Scamp for trips/working on friend's cars/attending friend's breakdowns/going to our rural property. Before that, I was constantly grabbing stuff out of my main toolboxes and throwing them in plastic bags, losing them, leaving them places.

It's not painful at all to lose or round off a $1 generic 1/2" extension using it as a drift to belt out something on the roadside. Doing the same with the Snap-On one out of a boxed set is a little different.

For sockets:
41.SH3.20%20-%2080pc%20Socket%20Tray%20Rack.jpg

Then I can take it and take it with me without my sockets going loose, if I want to work in the yard, house, neighboring state, etc.

I fill it up and remove empty pegs. Then, if I see a hole, I know I'm missing a socket or two and then it drives me knuts until I find 'em. Mac makes the best ones out there and they be cheap, too.

For wrainches:
Z
cornwelllot9.jpg

Again, a leather strap around them and they're 50-state portable. See an empty hole and you know dropped one down an intake or something. Ditto Mac tools. I color code mine: Red is standard, one for 6 and one for 12 point. Green for metric. They stack well and take up very little space in my box. (Note, I leave Matco tools on the side of the road. This is just a representative image.)

For me, I hate wasted space in a tool box. Snap-on is the worst because their drawers are too short so everything has to lay down. Mac boxes have drawers that are just tall enough that all my sockets can stand on end (Ten-hut!) which saves New-Yorker-trunk-loads of space and also makes it easy to see if I'm grabbing 6 or 12 point, if there's dirt in it (Ever wash your sockets in a dishmachine before building an engine? Works great), etc. I can lay a multimeter on it's side in my box, frees up a ton of room. I stack bulky/infrequent use items, and the Mac boxes make it possible.

For screwdrivers, I employ:
AK211.jpg

I orient all the phillips on one side of the magnet, nested into the flatheads on the other side. Side bennie: It magnetizes my blades which is useful in picking non-stainless fasteners. I have an additional rail for Allen and Torx drivers.

When I did Harleys, I did so many belts and inner primaries, 5/10/20K services, and wheel/tires that I reserved the top drawer of my box (which is divvied up into 3 equal parts) for all the tools that were specific to these jobs. Doing an inner primary? Open one drawer and every tool I need is right there. Saves a ton of time when you're flat-rate.

i used to organize my uncle's tools back when i didn't have tools. i always went small to large to awkward

i used general categories and organized them by size and alphabetical/numerical

Something small such as "consumables" (nuts, nails, screws, wires, etc)

Large: "wrenches" metric - left, american standard - right

Akward: Drill, clamps, etc

right now, all i have is a bag and a smaller bag. got my wrenches, torque wrench, hammer and long things inside the big bag. the smaller bag has all the loose things such as screw drivers, measuring tape, socket adapters (i connect them all in a long line; it's easier that way even if i've got 3 different brands), pencils, etc.

I try to keep things that can poke me on the outside of the bag in the pockets or out of the small bag. That's one downfall to bags. Everyone has to put a saw in it or something pokey.

Well I started on my tool box today and ended up combining metric and sae together. Tomorrow is peg board to hang my wrenches on and screw drivers.

For sockets I like the tray holders with labelled spikes. Got at Sears. Seems minor but easier to grab than the press on deals. I also bought HF colored sockets. The trays have rows for deep and shallow - colors make staying organised easier and you remember the common ones. Older eyes can't see the numbers. I have not broken one of these cheap sockets yet. All the sockets are on the top of a rolling tool cabinet with their ratchets and extensions for quick access.

I built a wall shelf where all air tools and air sockets go. The air sockets got sticky labels I can see.

I like the peg board and wall boards myself. I just got this place organized this weekend unpacking since Dec.10th, 2 months to organize 2 days and won't find a thing lol. As far as the drawers go, hammers together, air tools together, sockets together and so on and so forth. I just try and group similar tools together without over crowding. I also like to make things mobile if I'm limited to space, i.e. bench grinder, pedestal drill, and welder, as well as a small work bench on casters. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Cheers

Attachments

• welder.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 867
  • mobile tools.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 887
  • more tool hangers.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 857
  • Tool board.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 873
  • tool hangers.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 898
I can't do it. They are all overflowing. Just bought another box today. It'll take me a week to figure out which tools to put in it.

if you mow the grass you will find a few tools. trust me i know.

When are you guys going to figure out that tools aren't like seeds? If you plant them, they won't grow new tool trees. :D (That's what my old man used to tell me when I'd use his tools as a youngster and forget to put them back in the box.)

For me, the key to organization (when I take the time to get organized) is putting things together. Screwdrivers together, wrenches together, etc.

Do it in any order that makes sense to you. I agree with a lot of the guys who are putting the most frequently used tools at the top. Saves from constantly bending over.

Sockets up top and standing up in labled Sears sockets stands like Idaho mentioned. I've tried magnets and socket holders of all types over the last 30+ years and these work the best for me.

Next row down has three small drawers, one for feeler gauges, spark plug gappers, tire gauges and other small tune up stuff, next is all allen keys and the third for bits (allen, screwdriver, torx, etc.)

Next full size drawer down is 3/8" and 1/4" drives ratchets, drivers and extentions.

Next one down is 1/2" drives and extensions.

Then one full size drawer for SAE wrenches.

Next full size is for metric wrences.

Last full size drawer on top is for random, non-set wrenches in whitworth, big hitch wrenchs, etc.

First drawer on bottom cabinet is screwdrivers, flat bits on left, phillips on right.

Next drawer is a deep one for all my impact air tools and sockets.

Next is all chisels and punches.

Then another deep drawer for pullers and bearing drivers.

Bottom drawer is deep and used for timing lights, multi-meters, vacuum and compression gauges.

All hammers are on a pegboard wall above my workbench, all body-work tools are in hanging cabinets and micrometers and other measuring tools are in another tool box as are my electrical repair tools.

I hope this helps!

I have joked about my OCD on here before , but now you can see that its no joke . This drove my sons nuts over the years , telling them "someones been in my tool box again " . Where is my 9/16 3/8 drive deep well 6 point socket ? Or a certain screwdriver . I know where everything in my sandbox is !

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 850
  • 005.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 830
  • 004.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 981
  • 003.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 835
  • 002.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 863
  • 001.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 821
When are you guys going to figure out that tools aren't like seeds? If you plant them, they won't grow new tool trees. :D (That's what my old man used to tell me when I'd use his tools as a youngster and forget to put them back in the box.)

For me, the key to organization (when I take the time to get organized) is putting things together. Screwdrivers together, wrenches together, etc.

Do it in any order that makes sense to you. I agree with a lot of the guys who are putting the most frequently used tools at the top. Saves from constantly bending over.
X2:prayer:

I will grab a few pictures today. I am still organizing.

The battle to organise never ends. Just put this together tonight. Every little bit helps.

Attachments

• tool org.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 866
I like to see all my tools laid out. I think I use a combination of what was said previous in this thread.
If it's laid out neat you can see if something is missing, I always blame someone other than myself.

Attachments

• 3.4 drive s.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 822
  • toold1s.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 798
i'm extremely organized with my tools. i've added a ton more than what is in these photos these were from about 2 years ago except for the pic with the side locker thats recent. Being a flat rate tech knowing where all your tools are and being able to get to them quickly really helps you to make your money.

Attachments

• tools8.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 744
  • tools7.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 736
  • tools6.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 738
  • tools5.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 757
  • tools4.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 741
  • tools3.jpg