How to prepare a car for storage?

-

69CudaFan

Reaction score
The car will be in storage from Feb - Aug in a covered garage (in San Diego, so no huge temp swings) and I am coming up with a checklist for myself to do prior to that...thoughts?

Pull battery, put on trickle charger and top off with distilled water (if needed)
Check/change all fluids
Fuel stabilizer (Stabil or recommended)
Solid tune-up prior to storage

What am I missing or what would other members do, and what whould you do when I get back in Aug prior to cruising?

Disconnect battery and periodically trickle charge during winter .... Full tank of fuel ..... Add Seafoam to fuel ... instead of Stabil... seafoam mixes in gas ... stabil sits on top of fuel .... that is all i do and NEVER had an issue for vehicle to sit 4-6 months ... Oh one other thing ... on jackstands by body ... let susp hang.

Not to be contrary, but I have always heard to put it on jackstands, to take SOME of the weight off of the tires, but not so far that it is completely off of the ground, the theory as I have heard it is that to take all of the weight off of the tires, puts stress on the suspension.

hmmm i just put it in the garage and cover it up and start it up 1 a month

i've been wondering about this too, except where i live there will be dramatic temp swings. since i bought my first project car just a few weeks ago, i knew it wouldn't be until spring that i really got into it but i've been starting it and driving around the block just to keep it's heart beating. what additional steps should be taken for a car stored in a drafty, detached midwest garage?

I'd also load the engine compartment, interior and trunk with clothes dryer sheets. They will help keep rodents away.

I guess I'm lucky,all I have to do is open the garage door and close it,then do the same thing time after time !!Gotta love Florida weather !!!

just about what the others say, trickle charger, I inflate the tires to almost their maximum and put an old rug under the wheels so there is no real cold spot at the place where the tire meets the concrete what I don't do is fill her up, I have as little as possible fuel in it, so when the season starts again, I start with fresh fuel.
and I never start the car in winter, my climate is cold and moist, so by not starting it in winter I prevent that cold moist air to be sucked into the engine

dont let the suspension hang

The bushings in the suspension were tightened up at normal ride height.
If you let the suspension droop, it puts a large strain on the bushing as it twists and cracks them.

Also, getting the tires off the ground prevents flat spots and belt shift.

Fill the tank up and use Sta-bil to prevent the gas from turning to varnish.

Grease the car and change the oil.

IF the bushings crack while suspended for 4-6 months ... then it is time to change the bushings ... the torture the bushings take on the road are far worse then letting them hang .... also if bushings are that bad ... they will crack when put on a hoist...

I would concentrate more with keeping rodents and other pests away from the car than worrying about anything mechanical.

I change the oil, grease it, disconnect the battery. I throw in an open box of mothballs as well to keep rodents out. The smell doesn't bother me and goes away fairly quickly when aired out in the spring. No issues with this method over the last 10 years or so of putting multiple cars away for the winter. I don't use trickle chargers (don't have one or I probably would). I just disconnect the negative side and leave the battery in the car. I hit it with a low amp charge in the spring and haven't had issues with the batteries. I don't jack the car up. I think that is something that you may have had to do back with bias tires but after a block or two mine are smooth and round again in the spring.

Gas it up, an empty tank can rust. I would keep all the old fluids in there, and change them after the first 30 minute start up of spring. They will collect all the moisture and crud that grew in there over the winter and will carry them out with your fluid change. They have these huge $150 bags now that you can drive your car into and ziplock close, pretty cool! if sealed, Throw an open bag of rice in there too to absorb any moisture.
producteb18e101e11a5300aeadd3166f7c99ca.jpg

-
Back