How to pull a Shortblock?

-

seabee

Reaction score
I have been stuck on this one project forever and need to get it done before the wife gets back from deployment. I want to pull my 273 out of the car since the oil pan will not clear from the bottom (I found this out after breaking the gasket open and removing the centerlink.

Do I have to assemble the engine to give the lift a place to hook on to? Can I do this solo? Do I have to remove the hood?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
c6f3edab.jpg

1eab4516.jpg

c0c195bd.jpg

If I was in your position I would run a chain from a cylinder one headbolt to a cylinder 8 headbolt. If you ran that chain tight with little slack you can probably pull the block without taking the hood off. This is assuming only the block is coming out and not the transmission.

If the transmission is coming out too, take that hood off, jack the back of the car up really high. maybe run a chain from cylinder 5 to 6 or 7-8. OR drop the k frame and take it out the bottom.

You could do this alone but, it would be nice to have a friend near by incase an engine fell on your or something.

I would take the hood off either way, bock the back tires and jack the car up. take a chain and run it from a decent bolt spot to another with the chain really tight then pluck it right out, assuming that you are not pulling the transmission. One of the holes on each side of the cylinder wall will work well.

if it were me, i would take the hood off, get a chain on it, lift high enough to clear the radiator support , and roll the car out from under it, and bolt it to a stand. i do this quite often by myself.

hook a chain on the on the head bolts, just lift it enough to clear the pan/remove the pan and redo the gasket if thats the goal.

I would leave the hood on wether it comes all the way out or not.

Im really busy with work and 3 set of heads im porting, but let me know if u need a hand and i can set some time aside.
I wanna see this thing run again already.lol

A half inch bolt probably won't fit through the chain unless your chain has the tabs on the ends. I don't know what those tabs on the ends are called but if you're like me I just run a bolt through the chain. If that's the case you'll probably need to whip something up or find something at the hardware store that'll work.

hook a chain on the on the head bolts, just lift it enough to clear the pan/remove the pan and redo the gasket if thats the goal.

I would leave the hood on wether it comes all the way out or not.

Im really busy with work and 3 set of heads im porting, but let me know if u need a hand and i can set some time aside.
I wanna see this thing run again already.lol

Thanks Justin. I'll save that card for when I put it all back in. Got the hood off, the hoist on, and have been trying to wiggle it out all weekend but could only get a half inch from the bell housing. Now the Trans is pissing all over the place so I'm probably going to pull them both together.

Since I live in wonderful track housing I don't have a driveway to push the car back. A couple of feet and I'll dip out into the street and will be a ***** to get i back into the garage. So I was trying to push it forward off of the bell housing and lift it over the fender to the stand.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

738b6829.jpg

0c76ad7a.jpg

I was confused by your original sentence. If your whole purpose is to be able to remove the oil pan, you only need to raise the engine up a few inches. You can do this by unbolting the mounts at the lower nut and using a floor jack. A 1/2" steel rod can pass thru the triangle opening in the K-frame to fit in a large hole in the bottom of the block outside the oil pan. Once off the mounts use blocks of wood to hold it up. Anyway, you are going big.

I was confused by your original sentence. If your whole purpose is to be able to remove the oil pan, you only need to raise the engine up a few inches. You can do this by unbolting the mounts at the lower nut and using a floor jack. A 1/2" steel rod can pass thru the triangle opening in the K-frame to fit in a large hole in the bottom of the block outside the oil pan. Once off the mounts use blocks of wood to hold it up. Anyway, you are going big.

The main goal is to replace the oil pump and the gasket. I hate working underneath the car anyway and my back can only take so much leaning.

Oh well. This is always my process. Read, read,read, break, break, break, get extremely pissed off, pull everything out, start over.

Auto car? Did you undo the converter bolts from flexplate?

Auto car? Did you undo the converter bolts from flexplate?

Thats what im thinking.

it should come right out....'if the convertor bolts have been removed.'

I hope the the front bushing isnt worked now, i would be changing the pump seal for sure if this is the case...at least thats an easy to do .

Place a floor jack with a block of wood on top of the jackplate to support your trans. If the front of the trans drops a bunch, it wedges against the back of the block. Makes things harder to extract.

I took off my mascara, cracked a beer, moved the hoist out of the way, and lifted it out by hand.
6c178806.jpg

Anyone got an Advil?

Does the postal service know you bastardized one of their boxes for an unapproved use? LOL

Good job on getting it out.

-
Back