how to quiet down 3 inch exhaust

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
ive got a full TTI 3inch x pipe exhaust on my duster. headers back to rear bumper. im running the kit just the way ot was delivered, with dynomax super turbo mufflers, clamps, their hangars, everything.

im only putting 425 at the wheeels off the bottle, so i know its overkill. but its paid for.

what im trying to do is quiet it down some. its really freaking loud, both inside the car and outside. really takes away some of the driving enjoyment when you have to almost shout at your passenger.

i know the best thing to do would be to sell it and get a 2.5 inch exhaust, but i wont get hardly any of the 600 bucks i spent on it back, and really dont have the 500 to spend on their 2.5.

any ideas of what i can do to get the note down some more? im looking for lower budget solutions here. i was thinking of a pair of canister style cats, resonators, something along those lines.

this is on a 70 duster, and real estate under there is pretty tight, so another pair of fullsize mufflers is not an option. a pair pf more quiet mufflers may be, though.

thanks for any help you can give me.

Michael​

summit offers various glass packs,and i think they sell a stainless gp made by thrush.buy the longest one you can get and cut it in half.weld exhaust tips to them and youll have yourself a nice set of resonators.i made a copy of a commando 273 resonator using the same method.

Don't know if you can do anything about the noise (loudness) from the exhaust, but you can tone down the resonance in the car by using a product like "Dynamat" on the floorpans, and perhaps, in the doors. At least you'll be able to have a conversation in the car.

I say put your Big Boy pants on and reilsh in the sound of American Muscle !!!!!!

Otherwise go to quiter mufflers...

im already running 2 layers of dynamat and 2 layers of just throughout the car, including the trunk.

and i love the sound, but it gets old afer a few hours tooling down the highway at 3000 RPM.

a good example of how this car is used:
later today, were packing up the trunk, and taking the 3 hour trip to eastern tenn. from there, well hit kentucky and VA tomorrow, and be back here for church on sunday.

its going to get old pretty quick.

so what im hearing from a lot of guys is to put resonators in the system. i have a spare set of dynomax race bullits from one of my track cars. do these do the same as the glasspack or resonator?

is a glasspack the same as a resonator?

i also read the suggestion somwhere that i could use a restrictor plate at the header collector that necks the system down to 2.5 inches at the plate, and that would drop noise levels considerably. does that sound right?

anyone wanna trade me a 2.5 system for a 3 inch?

Michael

A friend has the same system on his "B" body and it's pretty quiet.You did not say if you have an "X" in the system,that does make it quiet_er:study:.
Is it too loud inside the car or behind??

slip your race bullits on the tailpipe, put a self tapping screw in it to temp secure it and take it for a ride. the passenger side is pretty tight but i just built a 3" system for my dart i put the ultra flows and a 12" twister muffler on the tailpipe. they were 16" but they wouldnt clear everything on the passenger side so i cut them down. i think a glasspack type of bullit muffler would be more effective but i had these so i figured id try them. i used a super turbo on my slant it was way too loud and sounded too tuff for a slant so i put a glass pack on it and it worked out great.

x pipe and flowmasters 50 series quiets my big block down i have that dynomat stuff too

Resonator is auxillary muffler, normally glass pack shaped, that aids in sound cancellation.

I agree with the others, many of the glass packs out there are not much bigger then the piping diameter itself, so they don't eat too much real estate. Run as long as possible.

You might be able to run before Dynomax mufflers, or on the tailpipe just before the tips.

Secondary option would be some of Dynomax "VT" mufflers that use the internal valve http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt or
Walker "Quiet Flow"
http://www.walkerexhaust.com/products/mufflers_QFSS.asp

As mentioned above, cut a foot out of your tail pipes & put something like this in there. Or a longer one if you have the room.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JEX-A4312B/

Years ago JC Whitney used to sell something called the Racket Buster that was pretty much something like this but, IIRC, with a chrome tip. A lot like what was suggested by 340 8BBL.

Don't know if you can do anything about the noise (loudness) from the exhaust, but you can tone down the resonance in the car by using a product like "Dynamat" on the floorpans, and perhaps, in the doors. At least you'll be able to have a conversation in the car.

I agree leave it loud outside but lower the decibles inside with the Dynamat or equal product..There is a thread somewhere on here that uses some insulation from Lowes that can be done on a real small budget like a couple hundred if I remember right. The dynamat can start to get expensive but I think if you only do the floor that will cut down the exhaust noise a bunch.

2 1/2" may not be your answer, I have a 440 with 2 1/2" x pipe, dynomax welded ultaflows, tail pipes out to the bumper, and I have a resonance from idle to about 2000 RPM, unless decellerating. I also have Eastwoods equivilent of Dynamat.
Before I put the Dynamat and the carpet back in, it was almost intollerable, now it's just annoying. I put the Dynamat all the way back under the rear seat where the exhaust mounts, it didn't help all that much.
When I'm over 2000ish RPM or decellerating, it's as quiet as a new car. I'm thinking of using the cheap glasspacks on the tailpipe as resonators like several have already suggested, but I have more important issues to deal with first.
It would be comforting for someone to post: "My car had a bad resonance and then I added glasspacks at the rear and now it sounds great, and doesn't hinder performance at all!"

I have a full 3" system on my Barracuda. It was quite loud with turbo mufflers so I added two glasspacks right behind the crossover pipe. What an improvement!

Yes that will help a Lot, sound deadner on the floor.

984520872_9f5c85f525.jpg

-
Back