How to remove pitman shaft seal?

-

Jhenry70

Reaction score
Ok guys, pulled my steering box off, got the pitman arm off and need to replace this seal... What's the best way without any special tools to remove the seal?

Manual Steering 72 Duster.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 207
Remove the snap ring and fish it out with a pick...

Doesn't look like there's a snap ring on it... Doing a bit of research on here and it looks like there might not be a snap ring on the manual boxes. Also, a lot of guys are saying not to use 80/90 gear oil as the manuals suggest. That it's too thin and will leak out. Wondering if this is my issue since that's the lube I used to fill it. Leaked out in a few days. Would just going with a thicker Molly grease fix the issue?

Heres what I do;
I go find 2 coarse wood screws about an inch long or shorter. Number 6s. I measure the screw root and drill two tiny holes in the seal at 180* apart and a little smaller than the root. I guess you can figure out the rest!

I thought those boxes had a long-fiber grease in them? Hmmmm.
Nope; the FSM lists SAE 90;MIL-L-2105B. "Special Sure-Grip Lubricant PN 2585318, is a fluid of this type".
I couldn't remember the internals of that box so I checked the FSM. No you probably want to stick to oil.There are bushings, bearings and other parts in there that might not last long-term with grease. And the grease might make the box harder to operate as well.
I guess you're stuck hunting for the leak.

i have never done one of these but that looks like a dust seal in your pic. i bet there is a snap ring or some kind of retainer under it. i have a 72 duster as well so i will be monitoring your progress ...good luck

Heres what I do;
I go find 2 coarse wood screws about an inch long or shorter. Number 6s. I measure the screw root and drill two tiny holes in the seal at 180* apart and a little smaller than the root. I guess you can figure out the rest!

Nope; the FSM lists SAE 90;MIL-L-2105B. "Special Sure-Grip Lubricant PN 2585318, is a fluid of this type".
I couldn't remember the internals of that box so I checked the FSM. No you probably want to stick to oil.There are bushings, bearings and other parts in there that might not last long-term with grease. And the grease might make the box harder to operate as well.

Yeah, it was a pipe dream... I want to fix it correctly while there's no motor in the car so I can put it back and not worry about it. Was thinking of drilling a couple small holes and then use a pick or something to pry it out. I want to make sure I can get the correct seal to put back though... The one I got from my local part store is way too big, I think they referenced one from a power unit.

Doesn't look like there's a snap ring on it... Doing a bit of research on here and it looks like there might not be a snap ring on the manual boxes. Also, a lot of guys are saying not to use 80/90 gear oil as the manuals suggest. That it's too thin and will leak out. Wondering if this is my issue since that's the lube I used to fill it. Leaked out in a few days. Would just going with a thicker Molly grease fix the issue?

I've always ran gear lube in the manual steering boxes... Never a problem with it leaking....

Here's what I found in the service manual. No snap ring on the manual steering box. Looks like the tool for this job grips (punctures) the original seal? Then it can be extracted by unscrewing the tool. So my guess if you don't have the tool it's pretty much knock, drill, puncture a hole in the seal and use a pick or sharp tool to turn and pop it out.

Consensus from the group? Just unsure of myself, wanting to make sure I don't screw something up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 135
Well I got it off... Used a combo of a small standard screw driver and ball peen hammer to tap a groove and get it to spin slightly then used some pick tools to pry it out. Cleaned the shaft area, now just to see if my local parts store can match it up for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 119
Heres what I do;

I thought this was my idea only! works good.

-
Back