How to remove steering coupler without damaging it

-

73Dart340Sport

73dart340
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m sure this has been covered before. I’m in the process of replacing my old power steering gear with a Firm Feel manual gearbox on my 73 340 Dart. The steering coupler was in rough shape and after driving the roll pin out and moving the steering column aft the coupler is separated from the column. However is does not want to come loose from the gear. Any suggestions as to how to remove it while in the car without damaging it?

160C4C8A-AC31-4D29-B09A-7D4DEBE2C564.jpeg

I’m sure this has been covered before. I’m in the process of replacing my old power steering gear with a Firm Feel manual gearbox on my 73 340 Dart. The steering coupler was in rough shape and after driving the roll pin out and moving the steering column aft the coupler is separated from the column. However is does not want to come loose from the gear. Any suggestions as to how to remove it while in the car without damaging it?

View attachment 1715601394
Tap tap tap. You may need to unbolt the column and pull it up for clearance. The coupler will come apart easily. It should probably be rebuilt anyway.

The steering column has been pulled back. The cover and seal were detached so as I expected the guts came out. However the coupler is really frozen on the gearbox splined shaft. Pry bar? At this point the next step is probably to disconnect the Left mount and jack up the Engine and secure it just to get the box out, but I’m guessing the coupler will be in the way of the extraction process.

Penetrating oil first, then use pry bar to push coupler back towards firewall. Sometimes these fit a little snug, but shouldn't need much persuasion.

Just throwing this out there. Maybe a small 2 jaw puller or something similar home made might be better than a pry bar?

The steering column has been pulled back. The cover and seal were detached so as I expected the guts came out. However the coupler is really frozen on the gearbox splined shaft. Pry bar? At this point the next step is probably to disconnect the Left mount and jack up the Engine and secure it just to get the box out, but I’m guessing the coupler will be in the way of the extraction process.
If you are changing the box out, why not pull it with the box and get it out to bench and maybe a puller and a little heat.

If your replacing the gearbox and the coupler is loose from the shaft just leave it and remove the gearbox. It will have to be replaced for the manual conversion anyhow. Unless your using the power to manual coupler then you can reuse the power coupler. But either way it would be easier to get it off with the box out.

If your replacing the gearbox and the coupler is loose from the shaft just leave it and remove the gearbox. It will have to be replaced for the manual conversion anyhow. Unless your using the power to manual coupler then you can reuse the power coupler. But either way it would be easier to get it off with the box out.
Yea. Agreed. Now to get the box out without taking the car completely apart

Yea. Agreed. Now to get the box out without taking the car completely apart
Goodluck with that! Haha I removed mine with the engine out. I cant imagine trying to do it with the engine in. I'm sure its possible without, but it would probably be easier if you could loosen the motor mounts and jack the engine up on the drivers side some.

Tap tap tap. You may need to unbolt the column and pull it up for clearance. The coupler will come apart easily. It should probably be rebuilt anyway.
Since you are the toolman
Goodluck with that! Haha I removed mine with the engine out. I cant imagine trying to do it with the engine in. I'm sure its possible without, but it would probably be easier if you could loosen the motor mounts and jack the engine up on the drivers side some.

How did you get it out ? Did you have to lift the engine any?
Yes. About two inches and it popped (overstatement) out from around. The headers. It would have much easier without the headers.

Yes. About two inches and it popped (overstatement) out from around. The headers. It would have much easier without the headers.
I kinda figured you would have to do it that way i was curious tho. I'm glad you got it!

-
Back