How to remove the floor shift cables ('65 A Body)?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Need to pull motor/trans from the '65 Formula S for sandblasting and refinishing. Got the motor out earlier today, but what about the floor shift automatic cables (one is for parking sprag, other is for gear selection). i started inside the cab, removing the circlips from both cables, but they are tied onto the gear shift frame and won't come loose. Or should I go underneath the car and pull cables from the tranny case? Thank you.

Had i saw your post sooner, i would have taken a closer look at mine. Trans is out,cables still connected to it.
They pass through two holes in the floor,but i never had a close look.
If your cables still work,thats great. So try not to damage them. Hard to find and expensive.

Here is a diagram showing how the cables are held (or squeezed) by a "c" shaped sheet metal "tab" in addition to the clip and round washer. Should the cable simply slip out of that "c" shaped thing, or does it need to be opened up by force? That is my current question.

floor shift.png

There you go, the little c-clips come off the stud, and a gentle pry between cable and bracket and it should slide off the notch away from bracket.

I have been more than gentle and nothing has been moving, those things are bent partway around the cable and do not want to bent back!

Two big screwdrivers,flats together, and spread the bent pieces open.
I have duckbill pliers for this type of thing.
Or two pairs of side cutters to wedge them open.

Thanks for the tips, what ended up working for me (and it was a lot of work) was a timing cover seal puller. Those cables were sure wedged in there to stay.

puller.jpg

-
Back