How to route vacuum hoses to canister??

-

twister360

Reaction score
I will be trying to get factory AC up and running this week in my 74 Duster and need help on routing the vacuum lines. I pulled the 318 and AC components a few years back and installed a 5.9 Magnum minus the AC. At the present I have a small vacuum line coming thru the firewall near the AC connections, and I have the small plastic vacuum canister ( size of a softball ) with a small and a little bigger port. What lines are connected to the ports? Currently there is a vacuum heater valve but so corroded water flows thru in both open and closed position.

Thanks. Gary

Big port to manifold vacuum, little one to the dash mounted heater control, possibly,via that vacuum line that you mentioned, coming through the firewall.Prove that it comes from the control.

This one goes here and that one goes over there. If there are any more look over there for the connections...

Well, you dont have to be rocket scientist to figure out where those two ports belong. I myself nearly posted crap.

Well thanks AJ for a helpful reply. It's only been 8 years since the engine bay was stripped of everything and I honestly couldn't remember. I've slept since then.

Hey Gary:

Sorry that you've discovered that there clearly aren't many rocket scientists here that know jack about HVAC vacuum lines on these cars.

I myself am not a rocket scientist nor a amateur comedian honing my skills, but I helped another member out with this topic a while back, seen in this thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=290819

The system, at least on the engine side, is simple. The pod is your vacuum reservoir so that the system doesn't change modes under hard acceleration.

There are two ports on it. The larger of the two is the vacuum supply and should be connected to a port on the intake.

The smaller of the two is the vacuum signal into the car to operate the system. At the firewall, as you can see in my pictures, there SHOULD be a pair of vacuum lines. If you have only one, then one is missing.

One is the previously mentioned vacuum source leading to the control inside. The other COMES from the control and operates the heater valve located in the heater hose.

Speaking of which, if that's one of the originals which has the external lever on it, forget using it. They are no longer made and you can't fix them. What you CAN do is buy a new replacement but it's VERY important that you do some research to determine if the valve is OFF with vacuum applied, or ON with vacuum applied, then buy as appropriate.

Kudo's for getting the AC going. However, that's where you screwed up. If you had asked for advice on how to REMOVE the air conditioning system and throw it away so you could sweat your balls off in a car that DID have AC, then you likely would have received several serious, detailed replies.

The system is still intact on my car so if you need help finding out what may be missing, let me know. You can PM me about if you don't wish to deal with the peanut gallery.

Hey Gary:

Sorry that you've discovered that there clearly aren't many rocket scientists here that know jack about HVAC vacuum lines on these cars.

I myself am not a rocket scientist nor a amateur comedian honing my skills, but I helped another member out with this topic a while back, seen in this thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=290819

The system, at least on the engine side, is simple. The pod is your vacuum reservoir so that the system doesn't change modes under hard acceleration.

There are two ports on it. The larger of the two is the vacuum supply and should be connected to a port on the intake.

The smaller of the two is the vacuum signal into the car to operate the system. At the firewall, as you can see in my pictures, there SHOULD be a pair of vacuum lines. If you have only one, then one is missing.

One is the previously mentioned vacuum source leading to the control inside. The other COMES from the control and operates the heater valve located in the heater hose.

Speaking of which, if that's one of the originals which has the external lever on it, forget using it. They are no longer made and you can't fix them. What you CAN do is buy a new replacement but it's VERY important that you do some research to determine if the valve is OFF with vacuum applied, or ON with vacuum applied, then buy as appropriate.

Kudo's for getting the AC going. However, that's where you screwed up. If you had asked for advice on how to REMOVE the air conditioning system and throw it away so you could sweat your balls off in a car that DID have AC, then you likely would have received several serious, detailed replies.

The system is still intact on my car so if you need help finding out what may be missing, let me know. You can PM me about if you don't wish to deal with the peanut gallery.

Loads of info in this reply! I'm now on my way.

Thanks. Gary

-
Back