How to stop hot air from engine compartment?

-
basic heat/defrost only builds don't have a water cut off. A lot of owners install a hand operated ball gate valve in a heater hose for the warm weather months.
These work pretty good. Not to big or ugly. LOL

hose shut off..jpg

or the heater valve in the engine compartment is not closing and letting the hot water flow though the heater core

I thought only AC cars have that valve?

Mine doesn't and it's not an AC car.

If no hood seal at the cowl hot air could be getting pushed out and into the cowl vent entering the cabin if the doors are open or not sealed or in my case just missing.

Last edited:
Cool, pun in tended
I would like to keep to heater core in the loop for those cold nights at the drive in movies.
A shut off valve would be ideal.
I agree after seeing that valve I looked them up and they have electronic ones.

I had a car that constantly circulated hot water through the core. It was like an oven in the glove box. I bypassed the core, it was like air conditioning compared to before.

You can buy a $5 valve at the auto parts store and put it in your heater hose. Just cut the hose at a convenient place and put it in. Doesn’t matter which one. That will stop it if it is heater related. In the winter, you just turn it back on.

Look for “Heater hose shut off valve” on Amazon.

An old guy at a parts store should be able to walk to it in the store

Thanks everyone for chiming in. Lots of great ideas. I forgot I have a FLIR infrared camera in the toolbox I never use. I like the shutoff heater hose valve too. Makes a lot of sense.

I think maybe in this case some good old-fashioned pipe dope may be the ticket, being the fact the valve will be opened/closed from time to time.

-
Back